1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Decisions, decisions..

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by ValkyrieOne, Dec 12, 2013.

1. ValkyrieOne

ValkyrieOne New Member

GPU:
    XFX 6870 1GB
    Hello all.

I'm looking for a GPU update this Christmas to replace my XFX 6870 1GB, which is unfortunately giving up the ghost and currently have a budget of £260 max.

Here are my current options:

SAPPHIRE VAPOR-X R9 280X 3GB GDDR5 OC

Sapphire TOXIC R9 280X 3GB

ASUS AMD Radeon R9 280X DirectCU II TOP OC 3GB GDDR5

I've been looking everywhere for the Asus version but can't find it in stock anywhere.

I've also heard that both the Sapphire cards are very loud and power hungry. I've found a Toxic 280 for £267, a little over budget but I know it has great performance. However, I'm unsure just how loud it really is according to the reviews I've read.

And just to confirm, if I bought the Toxic or Vapor X. Would it run well and safely with my OCZ ZS Series 500W Power supply?

Thank you all in advance.

2. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Hmm I'm not entirely sure but I think it should handle it well. You MAY have issues. 500-600 is just enough for a single 280x. I think buy the card first and see later.

3. jaju123

jaju123 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x AMD R9 290 Crossfire
    500W is more than adequate. Go for it man!

4. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    500W should be OK for a single card.

Sapphire cards aren't "loud" unless u mean reference fan, and no more power hungry than any other 280x.

Back when Sapphire were using the famous leafblower on the R580's etc they were extremely loud but that was years ago.
    Some people just don't know how to adjust a fan power curve to make things quieter.

The Toxic is a fantastic card, slightly higher TDP with a high quality custom PCB, it has 3 fans vs 2 on the VX so may be a little louder if noise is a concern.

With the OC in my specs the Vapor-X fan maxes out at 60%, it's quiet, the GPU temps stay under 70c and even my CPU fan is louder. And I'm not saying that just because I own one.

I also have Sapphire 6950 Dual-X and used Sapphire cards in the past. ASUS got a bad rep with the 79xx I would probably avoid them to be safe.

As a footnote see if u can find out which IC's the Toxic and Vapor-X use, cards with Hynix chips not only OC better but seem to have a higher ASIC.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013

5. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    The Toxic can be a little bit power hungry, but you should be fine tbh. I've used the same PSU as you with the rig in my specs with some moderate OC's. It could be worth waiting out on a 290 though, I've seen the reference cards for under £300 a few times, and once after market cards hit you might see them cheaper again. That's of course assuming this coin mining business eases up a little. The reference cooler isn't fantastic, but even at stock a 290 is going to top a 280X.

I'll second the noise concerns also, I've got a Sapphire Flexx Dual X 7950 and it's pretty quiet. Fantastic cooler, although I'd have went for the Vapor X if multi monitors weren't a concern for me.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  6. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Toxic or Vapor-X, avoid CUII TOP. your psu whould be fine, unless you really push your overclocks.

7. ValkyrieOne

ValkyrieOne New Member

GPU:
    XFX 6870 1GB
    Thank you very much Pill Monster and Darkest for your informative reply.

I won't be overclocking my card but will be using heavy graphical applications such as Photoshop, CryEngine SDK and 3DS/Maya/Max. Gaming too, of course.

Perhaps I was reading the wrong reviews in regards to the noise of the cards. That's what made me go for the ASUS Top as it not only has power but is quiet too. However, if it is not as loud as it is proclaimed to be, I shall buy the Toxic.

To DeathChild: In the meantime, I should be fine with 500W with the Toxic. But I will be upgrading my power supply to a Corsair 650-750W unit after Christmas.

My 6870 has served me well and if either card is twice the power of it, I'll be more than happy. Thank you all for the replies and help, I'll be sure to return to this forum in future if help is required.

I know I'm a little early, but a Merry Christmas to you all!

8. kpo6969

kpo6969 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming
    Why avoid the CUII TOP?

9. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    There were heaps of problems with the 7 series TOP cards.

10. ValkyrieOne

ValkyrieOne New Member

GPU:
    XFX 6870 1GB
    Final decisions!

MSI Lightning GTX 770 or R9 280X Toxic.

The Toxic I can barely find anywhere in stock and is actually more expensive than the GTX 770 Lightning.