1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Decisions, Decisions: Mobo/CPU Upgrade?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Rugburn, Apr 9, 2017.

  1. Rugburn

    Rugburn Member Guru

    Messages:
    131
    Likes Received:
    0
    GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX1080 Ti FTW3
    PC is for work and play. So if I decide to upgrade, I'm going x99.

    Just to give you a general direction where I'm going gaming wise, I'll eventually be upgrading my monitor to the Asus PG27UQ 4k 144Hz once released.

    Some general info:
    Just upgraded From Win 7 Pro
    Was using 2x GTX 780 Ti's
    Mobo: Rampage IV Extreme
    CPU: Core i7 3930k @4.4GHz

    The 3930k seemed to be a perfect cpu for my old 780 Ti's. Being that I'm moving up to 4k, would it be wise to upgrade my mobo and cpu? With my 2x 1080 Ti's, I'm sure I have the GPU horsepower, but I just worry my Mobo/Cpu combo could hold them back..

    Also note that the 3930k sandy bridge are native pcie 2.0, not 3.0..

    Could my mobo/cpu keep me going until Intel releases its next enthusiast class chipset (i.e. the x299)?

    I can pull the trigger at anytime for a new mobo/cpu/memory..
     
  2. lexer98

    lexer98 Master Guru

    Messages:
    668
    Likes Received:
    1
    GPU:
    GTX 1070 - WC
    The CPU is not the problem has enough "horsepower" ... but i have my doubs about the PCI-E 2.0 your setup requires a lot of bandwitch.

    Maybe you can get a Ivy bridge based Xeon. A E5-1650 V2 is arround 200u$D on ebay , PCI-E 3.0 and overclocks pretty well
     
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2017

Share This Page