Deciding on ram

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by hunterking, Feb 17, 2005.

1. hunterking

hunterking Member

GPU:
    Ati/X800xl/256mb
    I just finished building my new system and ordered some kingston value 512mb pc3200 ram which had some plastic glue on it and would not run so I returned it. Now I im planning on going dual channel (1gb total) and do not know whether to go pc3200,3500, 3700, or even 4000. Im relatively new to overclocking and I want something that can let me get a decent overclock on my 64 3000+.

Im currently looking at Kingmax as it seems the best bang for the buck. If this brand reliable and is it worth it to buy the ram that can handle the speeds already? Other suggestions would be appreciated I do not want to spend over $170
    Kingmax PC3500

New Rig:
    Amd 64bit 3000+ 939
    Windows XP Pro SP2
    Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9 Motherboard
    Radeon X800 XL 256mb PCI-e (on the way)
    Samsung 120gb 8mb SATA
    Onboard sound for now

2. hunterking

hunterking Member

GPU:
    Ati/X800xl/256mb
    bump

need some recommendations please help me out!

3. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GeForce 6800GT, OCed
    Limiting your DDR budget is never a good idea, IMHO...this restricts you to choices from the Bargain Lines most companies offer...which are just that.

OCZ and Corsair are both excellent, so make sure you check around for special deals, promotions and overstock sales before you settle on a cheap set you'll regret buying.

Personally, I'd go for PC3200 or PC3500 with tight latencies, but that will certainly take you over $200.

Remember, though, when spending money on PC parts, buying cheap parts = an earlier upgrade and less satisfaction in the long run.

You'll have this RAM for a good long time, long after you don't miss the cash you spent on it anymore, so you might consider upping the ol' budget a bit and treating yourself to some 'good stuff'!!

GL

4. wizwizwa

wizwizwa Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2005

5. wizwizwa

wizwizwa Guest