Decent score for my ancient computer?

Discussion in 'Benchmark Mayhem' started by David16k, Mar 26, 2005.

1. David16k

David16k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Geforce 7600GT XXX 256MB VIVO
    I just got 2017 3DMarks with this computer. --------->

Is this a decent score for such an old computer?

I updated everything and I'm using the XG 75.90a drivers.

Clock speed: 386/678

[​IMG]

2. Brian the King

Brian the King Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3080 Ti OC
    I must say, with 128mb of RAM and a 900mhz processor, that is pretty impressive:rolleyes:

3. David16k

David16k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I'm quite happy with a score like that.

It took me 4 years of tweaking the hell of my pc.

4. diehrd

diehrd Active Member

GPU:
    6800 BFG O/C
    Not bad but taking 4 years to get it that way should be discussed at length LOL....

5. Agent_D

Agent_D Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon VII
    i agree with a 900MHz processor and only 128MB ram, thats pretty impressive, at first i thought it was 3D Mark 05, and i was like holy **** thats great, but noticed it was 03 :)

6. Flamin-roids

Flamin-roids Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 4870 X2
    Actually you should be running a test thats somewhat CPU intensive. Even on a fast system you won't score much higher seeing as how '03 is mainly GPU intensive. Run aquamark and 3Dmark01 and you'll see real results. I ran 3Dmark03 with my 5900 ultra on a PIII 600 and pulled 5000+.

7. Agent_D

Agent_D Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon VII
    lol hey roids wasup :) you pulled over 5000 with a 5900?? how far was it overclocked, seems a tad high for a stock 5900 ultra, also, 03 is pretty cpu intensive in the GT1 flying test, others arent so much, but there is a huge impact on FPS if you have a slower cpu in GT1, but i agree, 3D Mark 2001 would be a better measurement, as well as aquamark :)

8. David16k

David16k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    In Aquamark 3 I get around 15,000.

btw. I got a new highscore for 3DMark03: 2111

9. r3claim3r

r3claim3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    And you're running Windows XP?! I would think that you're easily running out of memory, nevermind the speed of your CPU or gfx. Again, that is very impressive.

However, I would recommend you invest in buying more memory, if anything--that is unless you plan on replacing the entire PC soon. At bare minimum I would recommend having 256 Mb of memory if not 512. But if you're able to get such a high score from what you already have, well, you must be an excellent tweaker.

By the way, what's your memory usage like after booting up Windows? I'm curious.

10. Flamin-roids

Flamin-roids Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 4870 X2
    Well I pulled 7000 on '03 with my 5900 ultra clocked at 565/1040mhz on stock cooling. The same card pulled about 53k on aquamark and a lousy 1900 on '05. Ask pcpete how he likes my old 5900ultra. That card was amazing. BTW I just bought a FB so now I'm rollin old school.

11. David16k

David16k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I really tweaked anything that's tweakable.

When I boot it uses 79/1900MB and 70MB free physical memory.

When playing games I have 11 processes running including the game itself. I maybe have 128MB of memory but my computer really uses all of it and Windows XP is tweaked so it uses a minimum amount of MB. I haven't formatted my computer since I bought it four years ago. I just kept tweaking and disabling stuff.

I already bought 128 and 265 MB sticks but they don't work becasue it's an Compaq computer. The bios won't let me upgrade my memory.

In july Doom 3 was released and I got the game from a friend and tried to run it on my pc. The first level had horrible performance (5 FPS average and 3 sec loading times when going trough doors) but when I got trough the first three levels the performance just boosted and I finished the game with an average of 20 FPS (5-10 FPS while in fight) with loading times of 4 minutes and 1 sec while going trough doors.

I just tried the game again and now I even have better performance than last year because of the XG drivers.

Too bad I can't play HL2 because the game doesn't load when I have less than 128MB of memory (the game detects 127MB).

I still am completely shocked I can play recent games. I think it's time to upgrade so I can play those games at 80 FPS instead of 20.

12. r3claim3r

r3claim3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    You're probably not running any antivirus, are you? Or you just disable it to play games?

I think you should completely preserve that system and just get another, if you can afford to do so. You ran a Duron 900 for four years and can even play some of the newest games (though very sluggishly) on it. I've never read about such a system run so efficiently.

13. madmanjock

madmanjock Guest

I ran Doom 3 (well the alpha) on a Athlon 800 with a 9500NP, go to the config file and force it down to r_mode 2 or 1 (512x384 or 480x240 res :p) and that should help as well as disabling shadows, the cache trick ect - I recon you can get it playable (30 - 40 fps)

As for Half life 2? Sorry mate that's a bummer - a stick of 64mb SDRAM should cost next to nothing these days however, and would be perfectly playable if you force it down to DX8/7 on your setup :D

14. chennhui02

chennhui02 Member Guru

impressive... you must spend lots of effort in tweaking it... :)