Decapitate a Core i9 9900K apply an OC-Frame, and cool it better

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 21, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Should be noted that he actually decapitated silicon itself. After removal of IHS and clearing, tests were really not that great as intel is using thicker silicon on top of transistors.
    So he grind off 0.1 mm or so from die.

Deleted member 213629 and chispy like this.
  3. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Intel switches back to solder - OCers still delid... xD

4. Picolete

Picolete Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Pulse 6800
    Because they did a crap soldering work

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    No, because they thickened silicon above transistors. And that has higher thermal resistance than indium solder.

chispy likes this.
  6. Derek kulp

Derek kulp Guest

GPU:
    1080ti
    I'm confused on why this wouldn't work with an 8700k. The article just kind of throws it in there with the material of the bracket. They're both the same sockey with the same sized silicone. Why is it incompatible now?

7. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Really? Kelvin? Why is Hartung is patronizing his customers with stupid marketing fluff? Celsius is the same scale and actually makes sense to people.

8. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    It it not compatible simply because the actual die's height has basically doubled as well as the substrate being a different thickness.

Deleted member 213629 and chispy like this.
  9. hearnia_2K

hearnia_2K Active Member

GPU:
    PNY RTX 2080 Super
    What is the point of this product? Why bother with the frame? Just put the cooler on after delidding the CPU. So long as you put it on properly, and straight/flat, and tighten it gradually and evenly there should be no problem.

The frame seems like a waste of money.

10. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Stops you from putting too much pressure directly on die.

Basically it's a guide for mounting.

11. Ssateneth

Ssateneth Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 980
    The frame is multi-purpose. You screw it into the board, so it acts like the clamshell part of the mounting mechanism where it presses the CPU down into the socket evenly.
    It acts as a shim so any pressure that isn't directly down will press against the frame instead of a corner of the CPU die, which could break it.
    Since you are not pressing down on the die to maintain pressure with socket pins, this is safer. Without the frame, you will bend the CPU because all the mounting pressure is centered directly on the CPU die instead of the PCB itself.

Denial likes this.
  12. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Been playing ( Binning ) with lots of 9900k lately ( finally found me a Golden one :) 1.17v 5.0Ghz chip ) and this chips indeed runs hot , but deliding it's not worth it as it gives you give or take ~4c better temperatures onced delid and liquid metal applied , right there you loose your warranty for a mere 4c better temps. Sanding down the die it's a big no no also as the cpu silicon becomes too fragile and even a big air cooler or too tight water block will brake or crack the die , it's been happening in the extreme LN2 overclockers scene a lot. If anyone wants to try this please be very careful.

In my opinion it's a lot better to leave it as is , just get the best air cooler you can get or better yet water cooling for this cpu. The problem lies in the thickness of the die and silicon itself for heat transfer.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
    Embra, alanm and jura11 like this.
  13. Bo Alenkaer

Bo Alenkaer Member

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti @2101
    I’m sure the frame does provide pressure for better contact. My best goes would be that it might slightly bend in the middle and the outer pins might lose contact

14. Jayp

Jayp Member Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti
    He actually did a lot of testing. In his video on this product he only removed the soldier nothing further. Also I am not sure what you mean by not that great. Depending on what 9th gen CPU you're using he said 4-10C below an already delidded and liquid metal equipped CPU. The lower being on 9600K. 9700K and 9900K could see 12-18c difference from stock to direct die with liquid metal. That's a massive difference especially for those wanting to push the 9900K.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
  15. Jayp

Jayp Member Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti
    This bracket serves the same purpose as Intel stock CPU clamp. Holds the CPU securely in the socket so that no weird movement causes damaged pins/socket. Sure you don't have to get it but I like that he made it.

16. Seems like something you would only really want to do if you were running LN2 and every degree counted.

17. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Scary word: decapitate.
    Even scarier, lapping bare silicon - der8auer is on another level completely!

chispy likes this.
  18. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    If it was on my hands , i would have released the top of the line CPU also in a bare version , so no heat spreder. A lot of people i feel they will be interested in such version among the enthusiast's.

19. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Watch this video again ( 6.44 mark ) , nowhere does he states 12-18c difference from stock to direct die with liquid metal , in fact he says around 4-10c expected depending on the cpu ( every cpu has a different vid ). Delid the cpu buy this frame use liquid metal for an average of 5~6c degrees on an average cpu with a vid of 1.30v it is not worth it. Worst case scenario 4c and best been 10c better temps only and that's not great and not a massive difference for a 9900k.

I'm glad to say this time around us the extreme overclockers are not deliding this cpus as the temps are overcome by using massive liquid nitrogen cpu containers like kingpin T-rex , Venom or derbauer Beast specially designed with a massive cooper base to hold the temps at max ln2 temps under load at -196c , as this time around the solder it's much better than the poop used before. Deliding cpus for extreme overclocking on LN2 it was needed on older cpus 3770k , 4770k , 6700k ,7700k due to poop tim used , but that brought another problem , the new replacement thermal paste been used between the die and the heatspreader would crack at temps cycles of ~150c-196c and temps would crash after a few runs lets say of cinebench R15 and you had to stop , dry everything and re apply thermal paste again on the die and the top of the heatspreader. My 3770K delided under LN2 had this problem that would keep cracking the Tim after a few runs cycles and was a real pita to bench on LN2 http://hwbot.org/submission/2373269_chispy_superpi___1m_core_i7_3770k_5sec_343ms

20. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    I think its smart to take chispy's advice;)
    merry chrstmas btw

chispy likes this.