1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Debug LED 19 - RAM slots or CPU memory controller?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Disintegrate, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Disintegrate

Disintegrate Member

GPU:
    MSI 980Ti Gaming 6G
    Hello Gurus,

I have encountered an issue with my Intel i7 5820k CPU and MSI x99s Gaming 7 motherboard.
    Few days ago I turned on the computer, but it never got to Windows and the debug led stayed at 19 - south bridge power initialisation.
    I've reset BIOS to no avail, then opened the case, fully disassembled the components, cleaned everything, changed thermal paste and then encountered the same problem.
    I have 2 sets of 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance RAM and I was starting to suspect one of the sticks.
    Took out all of them and inserted only one - same problem and same problem with all the other 7 RAM sticks.
    I then took out all the RAM, turned on and this time got an error code for no RAM.
    Tested all the sticks on the first RAM slot and every stick booted to Windows.
    Everything was fine with dual channel as well, but when I tried triple channel RAM, I again encountered error code 19.
    It is clear that this is something with either the CPU or the motherboard.
    I prefer to avoid buying expensive 2011-3 CPU or motherboard.
    Any clever ideas or nifty methods to find out which one exactly is causing the problem?

2. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti 1080 FE
    Hi there

Maybe I'm wrong on this but does look like IMC failed on yours 5820k which is not rare on X99 CPU

Can you check what System Agent are you running ? And what cache voltage do you running ?

Other voltages are stock or not? Are you running any OC?

If you have spare CPU or motherboard this would help you to better diagnose problem,usually when IMC fails you loose one side of RAM slots on motherboard like in my case when I lost IMC on my 5960x last time

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

3. Disintegrate

Disintegrate Member

GPU:
    MSI 980Ti Gaming 6G
    Hi Jura,

Thanks a lot.
    I've reset the BIOS, so right now running on stock settings and no OC. Had the CPU set to 4.0 GHz auto OC before that and this was the only OC.
    It is actually the 3rd slot recommended by the manual, so at this point I have two sticks in the most left (DIMM1) and most right slots (DIMM5) and a 3d memory stick is inserted in DIMM3.
    Since I don't have spare CPU or motherboard, I will probably sell the rest of the parts and buy newer platform.

Best regards,
    Disintegrate

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019