DEATHLOOP [Arkane Studios]

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by KissSh0t, Jun 10, 2019.

1. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    Going from steam reviews the game stutters heavily because of denuvo.

2. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Yes, just write them on the console.

Also, you can set the number of threads your CPU has

thr_iMaxWorkerThreads = x

might give a small performance gain.

AsiJu likes this.
  3. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    I think the Void Engine is at fault here, since Dishonored 2 had the same problems with heavy microstutter when it launched. Who knows, though. I could be a combination of both for what we know. Unless Denuvo gets cracked and tested, we can only speculate.

4. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    Following up I'd really like if you actually could alter the events of the following day by doing something the previous day. Like alter how NPCs move or what they do, cause and effect style.

Just because we have a time loop theme doesn't mean it should be carbon copy of Groundhog Day.
    Don't mean that you can keep your stuff etc. as apparently you can after getting a certain item.

So this is something I'd like to know from first hand experience from people who buy and play the game. Ofc no spoilers but just if there is anything like that.
    Also how is the gunplay, it seemed solid enough but just as a shooter there are other options.

5. Forceflow

Forceflow Active Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Super
    Haven't experienced it myself, but it seems like this game has the same problem as Dishonored 2: Uneven frame pacing, unless you can absolutely *lock* to 60 or 120.
    I found Dishonored 2 to be stuttery and not fun to play when I let the FPS run free. When Death of The Outsider came around, I had a better GPU and could lock that to 120.

Don't know what causes this - maybe the simulation ticks (lots of NPC's, events ...) are hardcoded to run at 60 ticks/second.

Decided I'm not going to roll the dice on this and just buy it on PS5.

6. coc

coc Master Guru

GPU:
    1070GTX
    what worries me ( not really ) but still.. is the 10\10 thing. from different reviewers iv seen so far it looks like the 10\10 is thrown to the air because the game wasn't hyped enough, marketed enough.. and eventually, it was a very good game.

iv seen like a 45 mins video yesterday just for the sake of my curiosity and it looks lesser than Prey\Dishonored. action packed chaos, with interesting design.

really ? 10\10 ? something is making me not believe it.

7. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Dishonored 2 has its issues but it was fixed later on with Outsider. We know that RE8 performed much better without denuvo so im sure its the case here as well.

8. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I had noticeable stuttering issues with Dishonored 2 (though the UE3 based Dishonored ran perfectly) but Prey ran much better, despite it also being installed to a hard drive rather than an SSD.

I've now switched to running all my current games from an (external) SSD and have found that most games, including Deathloop, run surprisingly well. I say 'surprisingly' because until recently I was one of those people that had the Origin, Ubisoft, Battle.net, Epic Games and Bethesda launchers all set to start with Windows and left them running in the system tray. Of course, this led to situations where one of them would update a game while I was playing one on another launcher (even though each one is set NOT to update during gameplay). Call me an idiot, I sure feel like one now, but I've now got into the habit of closing all but the one I need before playing a game. This ensure that they can still update games while I'm not using my PC but that there is minimal background activity while I play games...

... and it really makes a huge difference. I've found my games feel shockingly smooth to play now, something I was experiencing less and less as my PC got older and the games became more demanding on my hardware.

Deathloop runs at 50-60 fps on 1440p Ultra settings on my 165 Hz G-SYNC display with an unlimited in-game framerate and the FPS capped to 60 fps to using RTTS. Indoors is a locked 60 fps and the framerate only drops outdoors. It still feels smooth but drops below 60 fps are still nevertheless noticeable even with G-SYNC. I need to tweak the settings a bit to get a locked 60 fps but I only tried the highest settings out of sheer curiosity and was genuinely shocked to discover how well the game ran! Seems fun so far but very derivative of Prey and, especially, Dishonored 2 in terms of visuals, level design and gameplay, which is to be expected as these are all from the same developer. There is a lot of humour though in this game, which is welcome.

I'm not a fan of Denuvo personally, not because it causes performance issues - in my experience it doesn't cause stuttering or anything like that - but because it adds a significant and very noticeable amount of time to the initial load up time. I've had some games take 45-60 seconds just to launch and display a window or splash screen, which is ridiculous, but once Denuvo is removed that they start up straight away so the issue isn't the game or the launcher but Denuvo!!!

Playing with an Xbox One Elite v2 controller by the way.

AsiJu likes this.
  9. slick3

slick3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    Is that right? That was my fear with this game. If its anything like Dishonored 2 performance wise, its a hard pass for me. Absolutely unplayable that.

10. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    FWIW PC Gamer gave 89 / 100...

however this bit sounds promising and is kind of what I was hoping for:

"Information is your primary objective in Deathloop—it's how you find and kill the Visionaries that act as the bosses of the island. There are eight in total, and your job as the amnesiac Colt Vahn is to take them all out in a single day in order to break the loop. Your problem is that your day is split into four chunks—morning, noon, afternoon and evening—and you can only visit one of the island's four areas during each period. The Visionaries only appear in certain locations at certain times of the day, and at first it doesn't seem possible to kill them all before the loop resets and your work is undone.

As you dig into the lives of your hit list, though, you'll uncover new ways to manipulate them. This is the bulk of the game, and your progress is tracked and updated as each new lead is uncovered. Colt is one of only two people whose memory remains intact when the day loops, which means his targets' behaviour remains consistent, and thus repeatable. It's immensely satisfying as the pieces start falling into place—as you see the consequences of your actions, and start filling out your itinerary in preparation for that perfect day."

11. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    That's because Prey runs on the CryEngine, if I'm not mistaken - not the Void Engine, which was the cause of Dishonored 2's issues.

Darren Hodgson likes this.
  12. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Yeah, Prey ran on Cryengine.

BTW, Deathloop, now has a user score of 60% on Steam. This is really low.

13. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    I try to keep my system as clean as possible so i only keep essential software to run at startup, like Nvidia´s control panel and the anti virus.

Everything else i leave disabled and i turn them on when i need to use them, including game stores/launchers.

As for the game, looks interesting... for 20€.

Darren Hodgson likes this.
  14. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Yet, the majority of those negative reviews are not about the game itself. But, about Denuvo.
    And... playtimes of 0.1, 0.3....

Should really take Steam user reviews with a big grain of salt.
    As very few people are use them to make informative posts about the game.

15. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA FTW3 3070 ti
    Picked this up on PS5 since PC performance seems to be garbage and apparently performance is messed up on PS5 too. Performance mode should be a steady 60fps, and it does appear to be, but it looks like character movement is rendering at 30fps. So what happens is that whenever you move in game the whole world kind of jitters side to side slightly. Motion is perfectly smooth with camera motion alone. What a weird thing, I’ve never seen anything like it. This game is just borked all around it seems.

16. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    All reviews have caveats, because there is always a subjective part to them.
    But still, if a game has performance problems, like this one does, it deserves to be pointed out.
    If someone can't play the game because it's constantly stuttering and with performance drops, it doesn't matter if they have only played it for 15 minutes.
    They have all the right to give the game a bad review.
    It doesn't mater if you made the best game ever, if then no one can play it because of technical issues.

Serious Sam 4 is the perfect example of this. That game has a ton of performance issues.
    If I hadn't found those command lines to fix the game, I would have given it a bad review, with just an hour of playing the game.

For the most part, I have much greater trust in Steam user reviews, than in professional reviewers.
    Most are just extensions to the marketing department of games companies.

AsiJu and KissSh0t like this.
  17. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galax 3080 SC
    Looks interesting, but Denovu hits again... so it's a skip till it fixed.

18. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    aufkrawall2 likes this.
  19. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    dishonored 2 was fixed,I played through that 2 or 3 times,no major issues.

20. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRYX RX 580
    seems like the same performance issues as dishonored 2, i thought they would update the character animations by now, since dishonored is almost 7 years old now, but the character animations leave a lot to be desired tbh....