Dear Nvidia bring "Silk Smoothness" feature back...

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by SatsuiNoHado, Jan 23, 2022.

1. SatsuiNoHado

SatsuiNoHado Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti FTW3
    nowadays I have a couple games give me annoying microstutters then i remembered "Silk Smoothness" feature i was using before for this kind of annoying games to fine tuning so i installed one of the legendary driver 442.59 and... this results as success for eliminating those microstutters as before.. :)

What is Silk Smoothness ? :rolleyes:
    SILK Smoothness reduces stutter in games caused by variations in CPU or GPU workloads. It does this by smoothing out animation and presentation cadence using animation prediction and a post-render smoothing buffer.
    Off: Disabled
    Low: (Default) Applies moderate smoothing. Eliminates most micro-stuttering.
    Medium: Removes some stuttering and hitching in most games.
    High: Applies additional smoothing, but may result in observable input lag.
    Ultra: Applies maximum smoothing and eliminates most stuttering and hitching in games. May result in unacceptable lag in some games.

@ManuelG
    :(Why this feature "REMOVED" later ? o_O for shady marketing purposes :mad: or what ? i dont have/want to use an older driver for games stuttering so i want it back and i know lots of people want it back too..

and look at this there is a Nvidia Presentation video where one of the audience asked for what silk smoothness is ? and just listen how Tom Petersen answered back in a dodgy way...:rolleyes: just skip to 10:08
    moreover we can see this feature has something to do with fast sync too.

BlindBison likes this.
  2. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3060 TUF
    Did that do anything with D3D12/Vulkan?
    If you want to reduce stutter with D3D11, try Ultra Low Latency "ultra", or if that's too uneven, "on". Poor sync between CPU and GPU apparently is a common reason for bad frame time variance in a lot of games. I suppose the reason why "Ultra" can even help over "on" in some games is that it leaves more headroom for some sensitive threads. Seems CPU load spikes in Assassin's Creed Odyssey are lower with it. Good thing is you get less stutter and even lower input lag, instead of higher, at the same time.

FastSync is kind of dead by not supporting D3D12/Vk (always hated it anyway). VRR + regular fifo vsync + fps limiter is the way to go (Reflex then automatically limits fps like ULL ultra does for D3D11).

Smough likes this.
  3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    it was removed because it didn't do what you thought it did.

4. SatsuiNoHado

SatsuiNoHado Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti FTW3
    oh really ? it does more what it should does.

5. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Any benchmark proof would be nice or some frametime graphs to see how much this could help.

6. BlindBison

BlindBison Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    This doesn't really make sense to me, my understanding (correct me if I'm wrong) was that CPU prerendering was the default behavior because it reduced CPU bound microstuttering which can happen when the CPU is the bottleneck and the GPU is left idle.

Digital Foundry talked about in their 3900X and 2080S reviews how hitching/microstuttering is the preserve of being CPU limited and/or running up against even storage as a limitation for example. They found so long as they truly were 100% GPU bound in all the games they tested the frame delivery appears smooth with uncapped fps. Many games are fine "most of the time" but when they have moments of bigger CPU load (asset streaming, whatever) that's when the hitches will happen. At least that's my understanding.

If you set ULLM to ON then you get lower latency because the CPU isn't working ahead of the GPU and preparing those command buffers in advance, but I would you think you would get "more" stuterring doing this than less since there's a higher chance that the CPU is late delivering a buffer to the GPU which would result in a perceivable stutter. Again, correct me if I'm wrong.

I tested ULLM ON in Hunt Showdown recently -- a game that I'm CPU bound in rather often in some scenese and what I noticed was:
    1) ULLM OFF (default) -> game stutters visibly sometimes but these are almost not visible unless you're really paying attention -- it doesn't really look "smooth" though if I'm looking closely unless I cap the framerate
    2) ULLM ON -> game is very smooth looking, maybe even moreso "most" of the time than ULLM OFF, but when it stutters it stutters hard and the stutters seem a bit more frequent to me.

I'll have to try testing this in more titles -- I noticed in Ovewatch Nvidia Reflex made that game stutter hard more often as another example. I believe my understanding here is incomplete so i'd love to know more about how this works, maybe I'm mistaken?

Going off the video's covering ULLM/Reflex I've seen online the TLDR seemed to be: GPU bound? Reflex will help reduce latency. CPU bound? Reflex will not reduce latency (and maybe will result in increased hitching). Really I'd love if Nvidia themselves or some other reputable outlet covered all of this somewhere.

I could be totally wrong about all of this, much of what i'm saying is based on my takeaway from CaptaPraelium's writeup on the Battlefield V subreddit from sometime ago where he provided an explanation for CPU prerendering and why it's the default/how it works. So, if that was wrong then I might be wrong too: https://www.reddit.com/r/BattlefieldV/comments/9vte98/future_frame_rendering_an_explanation/

Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
  7. BlindBison

BlindBison Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    What did it do? If it did work how he described then that sounds like an amazing feature to have imo.

Thinking on it, I'm actually not sure why you couldn't have a feature that worked that way at the cost of more latency, but I'm sure implementing it is harder than it sounds and all that.

8. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3060 TUF
    It's the other way round: There is no CPU prerender when the CPU doesn't wait for the GPU (CPU bound). Accordingly, input lag is much lower when being CPU bound, as there is no CPU prerender at all. You need some CPU prerender to keep GPU better utilized when being GPU bound, but as ULL and Reflex show, apparently only a fraction of what many game devs do otherwise.
    ULL setting shouldn't have an effect when being CPU bound accordingly.

9. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti
    Even if it did what you think it did, it won't do anything for DX12 games. There is no ''magic'' for stutters. It's 99% game engine related.

Smough likes this.
  10. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Nothing.

BlindBison likes this.

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    ^This.

it was nothing more than a co-factor of the original gsync implementation before they made vsync disconnectible.

BlindBison likes this.
  12. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    The only thing I remember Silk Smoothness doing for me was increasing latency, with no graspable improvement when it came to jittering. It was no magical solution to stutter. Not missing this feature, honestly.

Mineria likes this.
  13. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti
    If the stutter is game-engine related, nothing will solve it. If you think your PC is responsible and not the game, test the new Rainbow Six Extraction or Siege, both are stutter-free.