Dear Hardcore PC Gamer. I would like to know your thoughts.

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by fredgml7, Feb 16, 2021.

1. twonha

twonha Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1080
    The PC is my preferred platform, but I've got a PS4 Pro as well and my wife has a Switch. So I played Red Dead Redemption 2 on its 2018 release, and I'm currently playing Breath of the Wild. Sure, the experience would've been better on PC for me, but I'm putting the gameplay experience ahead.

Stormyandcold and fredgml7 like this.
  2. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    I've been thinking about xsx since I can't get a new gen card anywhere
    but recently i've been discovering how much tweaking you can do on a pc and frankly it just puts any console to bed.

got a 24" 1440p g-sync/ulmb monitor with a gtx1070.sure it can't do anywhere near max settings anymore,but with some amount of time put into configuring I went through blair witch with

1440p full resolution
    ultra textures
    medium shadows
    ssr on
    ssao on
    120hz ulmb with adaptive half refresh v-sync (locked 60 fps) and ultra low latency mode enabled.
    played on a 8bitbo sn30pro+

I was blown away that 60 fps can feel so smooth and produce almost no pixel motion blur
    just goes to show how with such an old card you can get such a good experience given the scale on which you can tweak things on a pc.

and that's not even mentioning IQ tweaks like nv freestyle or ability to use my g903 w. powerplay and a mechanical kb with silverspeed switches.
    all that while using my secondary display for anything else when I wanna take a break.

you just can't beat how versatile pc gaming can be.
    all this fancy stuff cost me pretty penny tho.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
    fredgml7 likes this.
  3. Airbud

Airbud Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5600XT
    With a PC you can play Tomb Raider 1 (1996) thru Shadow of the Tomb Raider (2018)
    Far Cry 1(2004) thru Far Cry New Dawn (2019)
    Call of Duty 1 (2003) thru Call of Duty war zone (2020)

The list goes on and on and on!

note: I just posted that^ comment from a PC....

The question is not so much as "what a PC can do"... but rather "what a console cannot do."

alanm, jbscotchman, Godzilla and 3 others like this.
  4. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    Great point, doggie.

Airbud likes this.

5. fredgml7

fredgml7 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 7600
    I get you. I actually see as good reasons all you (everyone above) said about playing on PC.
    This is not about Consoles vs. PC. If one have money and time to spend… Why not both?
    If I had to choose it would be a PC cause I’m an IT professional.

Airbud and cucaulay malkin like this.
  6. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    I enjoy PC, Nintendo Switch and Android gaming. I do what I want. However, most of my time is spent on PC, regardless of whether I'm gaming or not. Meanwhile my android phone dominates bedtime.

Airbud likes this.
  7. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070ti
    To each their own, just play what you like. The time I have to play games is finite, it just happens to be PC games I like to play the most.

I enjoyed console gaming more in the 16-bit war era on the snes. I still sometimes play games like Starfox, Super Metroid, Donkey Kong Country and Super Mario World.
    Apart from that I'm a PC gamer, but that's more because of the games I like and consoles are not much more than watered down pc's these days: lots of bugs just as on PC, day one patches etc, but on a locked down system instead of on a PC. They are also not as moddable. I like my systems silent, so I build them to be silent.
    I also like to have the freedom to mod my games and I like tinkering. It's not about graphics, as most games I play are indie games these days. Sometimes I play an Ubisoft openworld game or a Cyberpunk though.
    In the end it's still mostly about the games, I seriously considered getting a PS4 for the Yakuza games, RDR2 and Horizon Zero dawn, but hey they came to PC :D

8. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    If we are talking just about playing games and watching movies, I’ll go with console any day!

Now hear me out! It is just a personal preference, but I’m sitting in front of PCs all day and dealing with all the crap they give me. I just want to play I game and not faff about with settings, tweaking, trouble shotting and so on. Also my back and shoulders are done with the sitting position in front of a PC, M+KB in hands.

• Want to play a game – press a button the console boots up, may be a second press to launch it, if it is not suspended
    • Want to switch the game – 2-3 button presses, done
    • Want to switch from speakers to headphones – turn the headphones ON, done, switched
    • Want to talk to you friend – 2-3 button presses, done
    • Want to watch something – 2-3 button presses, Netflix, Youtube, you name it, 4K HDR and all
    • Want more control over your video streaming – just launch the app on your phone, done
    You catch my drift? Yes, all this can be done with a PC and yes I do it too on the PC. It’s just, if you ask me, what I prefer in my limited time before bed. Well now you know. And yes, my PC is also connected to my TV and I have a controller, but it is just not the same. You just can’t escape from having a wireless KB+M near you, so you can alt+tab and switch between audio sources, volumes, voice chats and what not. HDR in games and movies on Windows? Sure, if you want to spend your time setting up that, or reading forums on how to do it, so it doesn’t look like crap or stutter. I’m sure you can make it work, but do I want to MAKE it work, or do I prefer for it to just work when I need it to?

And once again, do not get me wrong, this is not “consoles are better” statement, it is just how I see it. Sometimes when you use something that is designed to do one job, it does it better than something that is designed to do everything. I love my PCs and I will always have them. That’s a 25+ year relationship that will probably last as long as I’m alive, but it can be a hard one sometimes..

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
    fredgml7 likes this.
  9. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    Double post, sorry...

10. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    The difference is, you can actually try to make it work on PC, when it does not out of the box. You're s**t out of luck on any console, as those are closed off systems. And if the developers don't fix it, no one ever will. And once the console itself stops working, after it has been discontinued, you can only hope that the (more expensive) games you've bought will be backwards compatible on the new system (so far it's just this generation that even tries to have something like it). If not, again you're s**t out of luck, and can throw your games away, or wait for an emulator. Also, console games can hitch, glitch, stutter, microstutter, have poor frame pacing / frame timing, lag, crash and suck equally as much as on the PC. I don't get your point. I've never found any of those things you've mentioned on the PC a hassle (except HDR, I don't have a HDR-capable monitor, so I can't judge) - it's more often then not just a double click away. You're making it sound as if turning on/off a game on the PC is a 10-step process.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
    Dragam1337 likes this.

11. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    I do agree with your points. As I said, I’m not trying to prove it is better, all I’m just saying, is I prefer it. Do I use consoles 100%, no. Why? A bunch of reasons, for example, better performance on certain game on PC, or it is just not available on console, or I want to play with my friend that has it on PC only and so on. But if there are a PC and a console version of the same game, that do not drastically differ (say 30fps vs 60fps), I will usually go with the console version. Also never buy games on release and wait for a better deal and version down the road. But that’s just me.

Also, you probably did not find those things I listed a hassle, because you probably are not using your PC as a console – under the TV with a controller. It that case everything can be a hassle. Point being, yes you can do it, but you will not have the same experience.

12. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    drandiiski: It is quite common for those in I.T. or office-based role to want to get away from PC and play console instead. It's understandable.

fredgml7 and drandiiski like this.
  13. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    PC for me due to peripherals.

I'm a mouse and keyboard guy. Also steering wheels and pedals in general, you get a lot more options on PC.

And once I'm done playing a game, I can hop into doing other casual things on my PC that would be more cumbersome on a console.

Perfect example of what I'm doing right now. Finished playing some games about an hour ago, been watching Blizzconline on one of my monitors while I can browse other sites on my other monitor.

cerebus23 likes this.
  14. MikeG

MikeG Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan RTX
    When GTA5 came out I bought my first console, Xbox 360 because I had to see the cool looking graphics in an open world game of a real location. Later upgraded to an Xbox One for GTA5. I did play some Skyrim and a Sims game on the Xbone but very little.

Was playing games on a pc years before it and still do. Mainly for the graphics. The two Xbox are now in storage in my room. But if the same situation happens (console only release for an incredible looking open world game of a real life region) then I'll buy the latest console for it.

15. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    If they are massive n00bs, then sure.

A highend pc provides a vastly better experience, period.

fredgml7 likes this.

16. fredgml7

fredgml7 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 7600
    There are two interesting points that may be a problem when it comes to multiplayer games on PC.

7 - Pay to win: Whether buying stuff in game or hardware wise. On consoles things like that are much more equal (especially hardware wise).
    8 - Cheating: The PC freedom can sometimes be a curse. This plague exists on consoles too but way less in my opinion.

Do you agree? :D

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
    DannyD likes this.
  17. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    On console you have to pay a subscription just for the privilege of having the ability to play multiplayer correct?

18. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    You're missing the point. There are some people who don't want to play on PC because it reminds them of work. It's not about which is superior.

19. garyb

garyb Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4070
    Been gaming since the 70's when games were games not the mess they are now with microtransactions, remake/remastered and the same old cut and paste.

Enjoy both as consoles have good exclusives but i still prefer sitting at a desk with a keyboard and mouse. Consoles are more for the living room ideal for just sitting back and chilling.

PC is my choice as consoles games are now overpriced making it harder to justify.

20. fredgml7

fredgml7 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 7600
    Yes. :(