Dead Space Remake

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Jul 22, 2021.

1. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    On the Bridge now, and got level 2 clearence, don't know wether to go back through to the previous parts, to open the level 2s on them first before continuing, or to just continue on.

I forgot about that big bugger that bursts through the door where the bench is, i proper shat! :D

2. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    The last patch has eradicated all traversal stuttering. It was barely noticeable on my rig to begin with and only occurred occasionally, but now it's completely gone. I'm currently on Chapter 5, and this game is getting even more interesting :D

3. Keesberenburg

Keesberenburg Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 TI sc
    Re-BAR is by default off in Nvidia drivers. I'm getting 15-20 fps more wen Re-BAR is on.

Carfax likes this.
  4. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    ReBar seems to work when the game is CPU limited. For me it did absolutely nothing.

5. macatak

macatak Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RX 6950
    same for me, not 1 fps difference :)

6. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim
    Playing game plus atm on my new 4090, and even though I am CPU bottlenecked, I am now pushing 120FSP RT DLSS quality, but prefer to play on TAA and have 80 FPS or so at 4K.

Night and day difference from my 2080ti. While it has served me well, the fact that is only has 11GB of VRAM is quite showing nowadays, and cannot cope anymore at 4K with all eye candy turned on.

Carfax likes this.
  7. Keesberenburg

Keesberenburg Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 TI sc
    TPU getting also 45% boost with i9 13900k. Have you force it with nvidia profile inspector? I'm getting +15-20 fps at 4k and even more fps boost on 4k with DLDSR

8. Sabbath

Sabbath Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    Need some advice I can get Dead Space Remake (PC) - Origin key - GLOBAL for $53.78 CAN Dollars.
    But is this website reliable https://www.g2a.com/

Thanks

9. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    They are a grey market reseller. I'm not sure I could recommend them to be honest.

10. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    That 45% boost must have been with DLSS enabled. I'm playing at 4K native, and I don't think my GPU could output that much more frames.

Can you link me to that TPU article?

11. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Surely theres no need for RE-BAR, as ive not got it on here, and the game runs bloody great on my 2070 Super, got everything maxed, apart from Shadows (got them on High, as look no different to Ultra from what i can see), and got the DLSS on Quality.

12. skacikpl

skacikpl Maha Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 4090
    Settings in this game don't really improve quality of anything for the most part. It just keeps LOD distances for effects at higher quality at larger distances.
    Majority of effects like shadows and whatnot have flat out resolution across all presets.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2023
    BlindBison likes this.
  13. N1GhTW4lK3R

N1GhTW4lK3R Master Guru

GPU:
    FE 4090 EK LC
  14. skacikpl

skacikpl Maha Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 4090
    By this point i start wondering whether the underlying cause is even fixable, it may be like UE4 streaming where the moment where actors jump onto game thread is inevitable and always causes a hitch.

BlindBison likes this.
  15. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Had to resort to YT to find out how to do the ADS cannons, i thought the game was ******, as when i was activating them, nothing was happening, i didn't realise you actually had to go up and grab each one of them to fire them at the asteroids to get them calibrated, before they'll start going automatically, had me baffled for bloody ages that, nothing like the original that part

16. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Unreal Engine and Stutter go together like peas in a pod :( It seems like EPIC are at least aware of the shader compilation issues now going off what DF has stated in their directs, but I've heard nothing that would indicate that for the asset streaming stutter which is all to common in these PC ports even going years back to prior UE versions. If it's something embedded in the engine deep I would say it's become "dire" for EPIC to do a major overhaul. PC in general just needs an elegant broad solution for streaming and shader comp -- maybe true DirectStorage with GPU decomp will help, but it's tough to know since it's not really in anything yet.

Ideally I would think you'd want some kind of asynchronous streaming system where if an asset isn't loaded in time for the next frame then you don't block that frame and instead just pass in a "dummy" asset/texture whatever (e.g. That rock in the distance will look blurry for a few frames until it can be pulled in). Maybe assets could be streamed in and out on background threads without blocking the current/next frame? I probably don't know what I'm talking about here so maybe that's much harder to do than it seems. I know aggressive fade in is unpleasant but I'll take it if means no streaming stutter. It really does seem like many of these games just have these "hard coded" trigger points where they stream everything in and out at once causing these hitches -- that seems like bad practice from the outside looking in. But again I don't really have any insight into how this stuff works so apologies if I'm way off the mark.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2023
  17. skacikpl

skacikpl Maha Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 4090
    You're missing whole aspect of logical assets on the level, those may have dependencies and/or execute logic as they are loaded plus comically - they may be codependent on other assets that are supposed to be loaded in same batch so asynchronous load poses a challenge of not knowing what is going to be available at what time.

BlindBison likes this.
  18. AuerX

AuerX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Militech Apogee
  19. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    From my understanding, there is a lot of components when it comes to diagnosing the root cause of stuttering in PC gaming. In order of severity, I would rank it like this:

1) Shader compilation (definitely number one)

2) Asset decompression stuttering (if your CPU is old or slow, you will definitely get these more)

3) Operating system related (with a full OS running in the background, all kinds of stuff can trigger a potential stutter)

4) Third party software (antivirus, system monitoring etcetera)

I would say that number 1 and 2 account for 90% of all the stuttering associated with PC gaming. How this can be stamped out, is by clever programming that uses:

1) Boot up shader compilation (it won't get all, but it will get most of the shader compiling)

2) Asynchronous shader compilation (clever algorithms will anticipate incoming shaders to be compiled and react accordingly before the player even gets to the trigger point. I think Doom Eternal's IdTech 7 does this, which is why it runs so smooth)

3) DirectStorage (this will help slower CPUs immensely when it comes to asset decompression)

4) Faster CPUs (we're already getting there. Raptor Lake is a huge step in the right direction, even over Alder Lake because it has huge cache and memory bandwidth. I credit my CPU for why Dead Space remake has been so smooth for me, as I rarely encounter stutters)

5) Faster RAM (just like the above, we're getting there. High speed DDR5 can deliver more information to the CPU faster, which means less system latency)

BlindBison and montanchez like this.
  20. skacikpl

skacikpl Maha Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 4090
    #2 isn't as much tied to hardware performance, in any decent asynchronous pipeline it would just mean the process takes longer. The issue is that in its core, games aren't really multithreaded. What people mean by multithreading is ejecting all surrounding functionalities to separate threads, so audio, asset loading and so on and so forth can be put on separate threads. But due to logistics reasons vast majority of core game logic is still single threaded.

By that point if anything has to make a pit-stop by the game thread (and most stuff has to), you're going to feel it. This varies per engine and of course amount of assets being loaded at once.

Asynchronous shader compilation doesn't mean anything is predicted, if you knew ahead something is required then you might've as well just compiled it at bootup since either way your engine would be aware of the dependency.
    I don't think any engine outside emulators or DXVK with appropriate flag uses proper asynchronous shader compilation, since all what it does is not stalling entire game when uncompiled shader is requested. It just throws a fallback that will cause visible visual artifacts while compiling the shader in the background to be ready for the next time.

With flawed streaming design all of the hardware or surrounding tech improvements won't mean much since even if you'd get 500 fps and loading would take 2 frames, it would still cause a hitch.

BlindBison and Carfax like this.