Dead Space 1 Anti Aliasing/Downsampling finally!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by sesquiculus, Jan 4, 2011.

1. sesquiculus

sesquiculus Member

GPU:
    Palit GTX480 1536 MB
    I know its an old game by now, but I really wanted to play through Dead Space again, without seeing those evil jaggies. Nothing worked previously, but I tried the downsampling method and it looks SOO much sharper.

As an added bonus, it adds the best kind of anti-aliasing to all those DX9 games (sorry, ports) that just don't support AA.

I used the method that was at the 3Dcenter forum:
    http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/archive/index.php/t-454129.html

although it looks like its been updated since I used it.

The main step(s) seemed to be installing a custom monitor driver, then creating a custom resolution in the nvidia CP.

I set up a custom resolution of 3200x1800 in the nvidia CP. It's this resolution that I select in DX9 games to get the downsampling effect (it comes out like 2x2 Supersampling). It does require alot of extra performance headroom, so DS was a prime candidate. On a GTX480, with ambient occlusion enabled in the CP it averages btw 60-70fps.

2. Marlec

Marlec Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX780GHZ Editio
    Could you post some before/after shots please ? & could you give more detailed set up guide that link is in german and translators turn it all arse backwards.

3. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    With the 266.35 and 266.44 beta drivers you can add the AA compatibility flag 0x004030C0 to allow forced AA although it apparently blurs the image slightly (use NVIDIA Inspector to add the setting). Far more preferable to messing around with custom resolutions and downsampling though IMO.

4. Wanny

Wanny Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti GAMING 6G
    Just tried and it's not working at all...

settings :
    http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/961/desktop2011010410403702.jpg

This is not working.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011

5. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti FTW3
    have you guys tried using from the nvidia control panel 4X aa for example with 8xSupersampling transparency? it works for me in need for speed hot pursuit for example, don't have dead space installed to try it out

6. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    This is the post I was referring to: http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=185906&view=findpost&p=1169092

It has a screenshot with 4xAA forced and it does appear to be working from that. I've not yet had the chance to try it for myself though but will do so later on and report back here.

If it is anything like Mafia II though you may need to disable the in-game AA option in order for the forced AA to work properly.

7. teleguy

teleguy Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070/Vega 56
  8. Wanny

Wanny Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti GAMING 6G
    Didn't touch anything to that. What is the default setting?

Ah working now! hehe

9. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
  10. Wanny

Wanny Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti GAMING 6G
    Working fine now. Wow it really annihilates jaggies lol

11. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    i didnt see any compatibility AA string, even with 266.44. I checked with inspector as soon as i saw that post over at nv., these 266.35 are missing it too.

edit: see for yourself

[​IMG]

12. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    By default, the Dead Space profile NVIDIA created doesn't allow you to select Override, you have to first remove the behaviour flag that prevents it then you'll be able to select Override properly so that it *does* override the setting not just enhance it. Enhance will do nothing as the game doesn't use traditional AA. Enhance only works if the game has an existing AA setting, e.g. if you can force up to 4xAA in-game then you can use the Enhance setting to force up to 32x.

13. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    That's good to know. I was always a bit miffed that ATI had managed to add AA support for a game that NVIDIA hadn't. Then they beat them again with NFS: Hot Pursuit too. Better late than never I guess.

14. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    idk what would they promote it if you have to do it yourself, wdf that's so stupid.. No everybody uses inspector and mods driver strings :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

edit: yea it works but sucks really bad avg 25fps vs. 60fps all the time without AA, guess i'll have lower few settings like AO and TrAA and AA..

edit2: now that they implemented AA, AO takes a huge hit - esp. H.quality AO, quality is kinda ok but still unplayable,.. now with AO and TrAA disabled i get 50-60fps with forced 4xAA.. that's much much better.,

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

edit: nope it still crawls to around 25-30 fps if i use flamethrower.. crap implementation, and i've disabled all TrAA, AO, only forced 4xaa.

15. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080Ti
    I'll have to give this a try... the jaggies in this game really annoyed me. Never beat it so about time I fired it up again.

16. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    will reinstall Dead Space, never beat the game either lol but i was close to the end, boy was the lack of aa annoying.

using the 266.xx great drivers, will test with dead space soon.

17. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Yeah, I tried to enable AO - High quality, I lost like 60FPS! lol, went down to 30-40FPS.

18. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yeah, i've not got home to try this yet, but with older drivers forcing AO just about halved my framerate and shoved GPU usage up to 99%, so i don't imagine i will be able to apply AA ontop of that.

Anyone tried renaming the .exe to the Dead Space 2 one, and see if forcing it from the NVCP is possible?

19. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    2xaa, TrAA -mulitsampling, AO- off and its good, now it runs at 60fps maybe drops to 58-59fps for a split second when i use flamethrower..
    [​IMG]

well its not so good as with 4xaa, but imo allot better than with just ingame edge detect aa. :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. ToyTen

ToyTen Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    no AA mem usage 239MB [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

8xQAA mem usage 1100MB [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will try this with the 265.99 and 266.44 after, i would prefer with the quadro, but the 266.44 are really good too in my case