Dead Island - Now also Redux

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by BlueStinger, Sep 14, 2007.

1. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Well, I never had any desire to play the game with partners.

2. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    Hmm... think i might contact Newegg. Got (or tried to get) a copy of Prototype 2 from them. Would have had it last Tuesday. Unfortunately somehow UPS managed to lose it when it went out for delivery (i.e. someone probably yoinked it). They said they'd send a replacement in x amount of days after everything finalizes... but i'd already bought a copy from WalMart. Think i might see if there's any way i'd be able to get Diablo 3 instead, for the price i would have gotten Prototype 2 for... which was $47.99 after using a promo code for $12 off, and free third day shipping.

3. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080
    I picked this game up on the cheap from Steam over the weekend having avoided it until now due to all the reports of bugs and whatnot but, so far (after some 10+ hours of play and reaching level 17) I have to say that this is the best £6.79 I've ever spent.

Dead Island is fantastic. There I said it! It's not very polished, in fact it's very 'rough and ready' to be honest as the graphics can vary between looking gorgeous when standing still to looking horrendous when you're driving around and can see all the shortcomings of the Chrome Engine in all their glory (LOD issues, object pop in and shadow draw distance issues mainly). There are also bugs but, thankfully, most of them have been fixed via numerous patches. Still, clipping is a regular occurrence, especially when you're knocked back by Thugs, I've seen blood on windscreens where there's no glass and at one point the checkpoint system wasn't working as I entered the hotel to begin Chapter 3 twice and saw numerous Checkpoint messages but when I resumed I was back in one of the Bungalows minus a vehicle (this was very frustrating to be honest). After playing the hotel section for 20 minutes I believe I've finally got the damn game to save properly at Service Room section.

Those issues aside, this game is absolutely outstanding and exactly the kind of game I love being as it is an open-world adventure-cum-RPG. Attention to detail is superb with your character actually having a physical body and interacting relatively realistically with the world. I've found it to be ridiculously addictive to the point where I found it hard to quit the game. The holiday island location is superbly realised and it just never gets stale killing zombies. This is the game that I wish the Left 4 Dead games had been because unlike those two games, Dead Island never feels dull because it isn't just a dumb first-person shooter.

It's a shame that the game wasn't a bit more polished. The Chrome Engine works well enough in terms of streaming and minimizing loading screens (something Valve's Source wouldn't have managed) but it's technically very dated with an extremely poor draw distance and non-existent anti-aliasing support that does distract from what is otherwise a very pleasant game visually. If this game had Left 4 Dead 2's looks and the Dead Island gameplay, albeit more refined, then it would have been a classic IMO. As it is, Dead Island is a very good and very enjoyable game and one that I'm glad I have finally had the chance to play.

Now what is the best way to minimize those jaggies? SGSSAA seems to result in artifacts in the form of thin white/black horizontal lines but looks otherwise far superior to forced MSAA on its own or with FXAA IMO.

4. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    no i dont think there is , i hope im wrong though

have toy tried downsampling though ? its real easy
    i play most games on 2560x1600 on my 1920x1200 screen now :D

here is how

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012

5. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080
    I try that then, White Lightning. Thanks. What's the maximum resolution you can create as 2560x1600 seems a little low for downsampling. Can I create 3840x2400 for example?

6. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    i think you can , but its allot of tweaking (the lower screen values), i couldt get it to work. this one works with everything on auto. you would need to play at like 50hz instead of 60 for instance. its easier if you have a 120hz monitor.

oh i forgot how cool this game was playing with the xbox360 controller. analogue FTW!

well ive played for a bit again, seems they fixed the issues indeed. its good fun now

7. Gembel

Gembel Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX660 DirectCU 2
    Amazing info Whitelightning :banana: I luv u bro :)
    Tried custom rez 2560x1440 and it works yay..
    But i couldn't set it higher too..failed.And some games become laggy like skyrim :D

Edit: I tried 3200x1800 and works too at 50hz :D I have 16:9 widescreen monitor.

8. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    good to hear it worked for you :D

ah seem 2880 × 1800 also works at 60hz for me :D though a game like pes 2012 does not support it :(

FFS just had the horrible sound bug again. why cant they fix these things. its been months since the game came out! a big shame! the stuttering with the keyboard also seems to still be there. what a mess

9. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080
    There's a Dead Island Helper (Google it, v1.95 beta is the latest build) that is supposed to address the stutter from using a keyboard plus it has a FOV option (75 looks way better than the default 62.5 IMO). I've been playing the game with an Xbox 360 controller so I haven't noticed any stuttering, just a few moments when the game was running at 60 fps (v-synced) but didn't feel like it. 99.9% of the time the game is smooth though.

10. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    thanks, but yeah i already knew about the helper. mentioned it earlier on in this thread. but i was reading it supposed to be fixed. but it isnt still.
    the strange thing is , its not stuttering with the controller.

11. MrMicrochip

MrMicrochip Member Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GTX 1070 Phoenix
    Is it possible to use mouse at the same time as xbox controller?
    I sometimes make golvepie scripts that emulate xbox controller (using pedals as a forward/backward control etc) so it helps if there is possibility to use controller interface and mouse at the sametime

12. isidore

isidore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    Nice tool that helper and also thx for the downsample info white.

13. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    Think my biggest issue with the game was that there wasn't really any signs of actually progressing in the game. You got stronger, the zombies got stronger. What's the point of basically having a leveling system if no matter what you do, you can still very, VERY easily get your a** kicked?

14. smashly

smashly Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 560ti / GTX 670
    The biggest annoyance in the game for me is the menu system.
    When you use a mouse click to close the menu you fire off what you have in your hands.
    eg: Make a nade and exit the menu via a mouse click and blow yourself up..doh
    ESC is your friend when it comes to the menu...lol
    I thought they would of fixed it by now, but nope, bug is still there with current patches.

One thing I still never tire of is bum rushing a zombie, bowling it over and stomping on it's head, never gets old.

15. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080
    The stutter is caused by using the keyboard hence why it doesn't affect the controller. There is a workaround which involves temporarily setting the Key Repeat to zero in the Keyboard control panel, something like that.

16. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    Thanks Darren

id just wish the developers would care to fix these issues. they have been arround since launch really which is quite sad.

17. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    So.......

With the redux editions now, i thought id give it a go.

negative things: Vsync is bugged , 30 fps in menus , movement with mouse is not 100% smooth yet. Also mouse acceleration is still there
    Dont know if this needs a game update or Nvidia needs to release some new drivers to fix this.
    The bugged vsync i fixed with enabling fastsync which works quite good with this game.
    Game looks better, glad the yellow tint is gone and showing a more natural look now.
    Sometimes the game seems to slow down a bit (even while the FPS is locked at 60fps for me).
    There also seems a scaling option with some menus , like the you have died screen. sometimes it just moves down after it was shown for the first time.
    Full screen is full screen , so setting 1920x1080 on a 1920x1200 screen doesnt show black bars but its stretched.

Quality video settings (found in data0.pak /data/settings)

Code:
    !Resolution(i,i)
    !WindowOffset(i,i)
    !Monitor(i)                    // -1 primary monitor
    !DX11()                        // game will use DirectX 11
    !TextureQuality(s)             // Low, Medium, High
    !GammaFloat(f)
    !MaxRefresh(i)
    !Shadows(s)                    // Low, High
    !ShadowMapSize(i)
    !SpotShadowMapSize(i)
    !Fullscreen()
    !VSync()                       // enable vertical sync
    !GrassQuality(i)               // lower is better
    !NvidiaEffects(i,i)            // enable extra nvidia effects
    !ExtraGameFov(f)               // extra fov
    !VisRange(f,f)
    !PostProcessQuality(i)
    !AmbientOcclusion(i)
    !MotionBlur(i)
    !AntiAliasing(i)
    !DisableDWM(i)
    !Version(i)
    !FXQuality(i)

!NvidiaPCSS(i)
    !EnableFilmGrain(i)
    !Aberration(i)

Fullscreen()
    VSync()
    TextureQuality("High")
    VisRange(2.4, 2.4)
    ShadowMapSize(1024)
    SpotShadowMapSize(1024)
    GammaFloat(1.00)
    GrassQuality(0)
    NvidiaEffects(1, 1)
    AmbientOcclusion(1)
    MotionBlur(1)
    AntiAliasing(1)
    DisableDWM(1)
    FXQuality(3)
    Version(1)

NvidiaPCSS(1)
    EnableFilmGrain(1)
    Aberration(1)

Default audio
    Code:
    !API(s)            // FMOD, XAudio2, NoSound
    !MixFrequency(i)
    !Channels(i)
    !ForceSoftware()
    !ForceSoftwareEAX()
    !ForceNoFXes()
    !Quality3D(s)      // low, medium, high
    !UseEAX()
    !ExtraSounds01()
    !SpeechVolume(i)
    !FXVolume(i)
    !WaveVolume(i) //music
    !MaxVolume(i)
    !GlobalSettings(s)
    !DebugMode()

API("FMOD")
    MixFrequency(48000)
    Channels(40)
    Quality3D("high")
    MaxVolume(40)
    FXVolume(30)
    WaveVolume(27)
    SpeechVolume(38)
    GlobalSettings("")

dont know what this does.
    camera.scr (found in same pak)
    Code:
    !BoatFov(f)
    !BoatBoostFov(f)
    !BoatPosOffset(f,f,f)

!FlashlightFullColor(f,f,f,f)
    !FlashlightDimColor(f,f,f,f)

BoatFov(60.0)
    BoatBoostFov(70.0)
    BoatPosOffset(0.0,0.15,-0.2)    // Converted

FlashlightFullColor(0.97, 0.94, 1.0, 1.0)
    FlashlightDimColor(1.0, 0.86, 0.73, 1.0)

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  18. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Ref"
    Data0.pak is also like Dying Light totally unencrypted and files are in plain text so stuff like for example FOV modding and such is fully doable (62.5 vertical, around 90 horizontal for 16:9 whereas a value of 78 would be 90 hor for 16:10 ratios.) although I do not know if the debug/developer mode can be re-enabled and I do not know if there's any crc checks or similar on modded .pak files though if so the game might still be able to read loose files. :)
    (Can't make custom levels without the editor though but other than that the game should be fully moddable.)

19. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Is there an option to disable CA? If not, **** you Techland. (Why do you keep doing this)

I never could enjoy the original much because of the constant stuttering that would only disappear if I got upwards of 90FPS or so. But then no vsync. Erg.

20. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    I tried that and it doesnt seem to do anything.
    I did however put it in documents with the filepath. (c:\Users\white\Documents\DeadIslandDE\out\data\skills\)
    in the original it worked ok

yes in the menu, however it did not change in the config file so i did both

i just created a data666.pak with that file in there and now it works ok :D

Last edited: May 31, 2016