Dead Island - Now also Redux

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by BlueStinger, Sep 14, 2007.

1. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    All I know thus far is some of the melee attacks on zombies are so downright viscous I feel almost instantly guilty and want to go "oh **** I'm sorry sorry!". One guy came running at me very quickly and I just took his head clean off leaving his body to slump to its knees and then fall flat rather slowly and horribly.

When I met my first level 4 zombie I tried to whack him and I could literally see I'd broke his arm with the impact. So everytime he swung at me all I saw was this jelly like arm flailing about. The same goes for when you go all Soldier of Fortune on bodies and skin turns to muscle then to bone as you smack the **** out of it. It's a really nice touch.

Every. Single. Impact. Makes. Me. Wince. But it's so rewarding and gratifying. Just wait till the first time you get the ubercharge type upgrade, I punched a sexy woman in a bikini and she went flying over a railing to her death. There's a good number of skills to unlock and I barely touched upon what the upgrading desk can do. Anything and everything you pick up can serve a purpose.

Graphics wise they do the job. I can see why some would say the were a bit up and down but they are genuinely eye pleasing and it's awesome having all this chaos and blood amidst such a serene looking place. I think character models have impressed me the most though, they just look amazing up close snapping at your face.

Really enjoying it so far but aim to restart once the friday patch is released.

If I have one single concern from my two hours played it's that the main quest said 8% complete so I think I'll be sticking to side quests as much as humanly possible.

2. TheGr81

TheGr81 Master Guru

GPU:
    Saphire Radeon HD 7870 OC
    Is anyone having trouble collecting "Car parts"? It says to hold E, which I do, but I can't seem to pick up the parts :(

3. putty

putty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 4090
    Doesn't it say hold F?

4. TheGr81

TheGr81 Master Guru

GPU:
    Saphire Radeon HD 7870 OC
    No I changed my action key to E

5. Wanny

Wanny Guest

I can see this game being really fun in coop. Hopefully it will be fixed soon.

6. bdub5886

bdub5886 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 G1 Gaming
    Yeah I hope multi player is fixed soon. I bought it strictly for coop, as that is my favorite type of gameplay. Me and 2 of my friends could not connect last night after patching.

7. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    just use hamachi and LAN mode atm

8. Gaizokubanou

Gaizokubanou Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970
    This post just got super ironic since many users just confirmed that simply using keyboard to move in this game causes micro stutter. And they fixed it by using gamepads.

9. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Can not wait to get this game!!!!

10. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I had the same issue. I, also, remapped my "use" key to something else. I remapped it to "Spacebar".
    The game would tell me to hold Space... and in doing so... nothing. But, I found that if I double tapped it, and on the second tap held it down... it worked.

11. putty

putty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 4090
    I also have to agree, this game is pretty nice!!! But I do not think I will play it much in singleplayer... I think this is mostly coop fun for me.

Now I only hope some very smart guy can make a wine/cider wrapper for this to get it to work on OS X, since most of my friends use that:p(and me too)

12. Wanny

Wanny Guest

Wow the city zone is much better than the island zone! Can't wait to play that part in coop.

13. The Janitor

The Janitor Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080 Ti
    Made a little mod that removes the crosshair if anyone wants, good for taking screenshots ;)

http://www.mediafire.com/?c18p5q3nhelxrht

Place the HUD.scr file in:

Dead Island\DI\Data0.pak\Data\Menu\TextureDefs

Don't forget to back up the old file

14. blinx

blinx Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus 680
    The game is beautiful indoor outdoor water effects I spent more time gazing at the scenery than doing objectives the blood looks great too:D

15. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Yeah, the blood effects are awesome. I love how it pools up on the ground, in between the rocks and bricks.

16. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    I have tried a number of modifications to the game but just recently I did hear one would need to repack existing files however the game is prone to crashes (On start up, it doesn't get unstable in game or anything.) depending on what's replaced, once that's solved I have a rather good idea on what to start with since I found both the blur, bloom and dof values along with FoV possibly so maybe the game can be more modified than I first thought.
    (Only thing so far as the screens I posted mentions is the dev mode which didn't require file replacement.)

EDIT: That was easy to solve, you probably didn't have the update installed as 1.1.0 (Yesterdays patch.) now restricts and locks things down pretty much, debug mode is removed for example and I can't do much with existing files, hah well that answered the question at least.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  17. The Janitor

The Janitor Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080 Ti
    Well that sucks :/

18. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    I "solved" that later on, game exe is basically a launcher for both this and Juarez (However there is no unlocked version of Juarez available.) so by using the very first exe file the problem was sidestepped (Thanks to some info on the forums about this.) albeit debug mode is forever gone without reverting fully to the buggier 1.0.0 revision.
    (This new patch really helped the game.)

So far I've only tampered with the FoV but the scripts for shaders and similar aren't too problematic to deal with and as with other Techland / Chrome engine titles large parts of the data files are common plain text so it's easily edited and often also commented though it varies heavily between Polish and English for those comments. :)

Still the FoV issue is now finally fixed, who the heck sets 62.5 as the default?
    (55 is the lowest I've seen in some games but 65 - 75 is often the standard with higher being often possible to edit in to support even larger monitors or setups like tri-sli / crossfire and the like.)

19. ])rStrangelove

])rStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 3GB
    Sorry Jonas, if i got this wrong. So it doesnt really matter if its patched, you dont start the patched exe which is just a launcher, but the 'original' game-exe which is still unchanged to get mods working?

20. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Exe just seems to launch the game whereas the .dll files contain the important data, similar to how Far Cry 2's exe file was just a launcher for Dunia.dll which held all game data. :)
    (There is some data in it but I am not entirely sure what, though it seems to do very little although future patches might make this method useless as well.)

Also managed to edit out most of the HUD following the above no crosshair modification, can't get rid of all of it though as that would make playing the game difficult but I got rid of the stamina bar, stance icons for running and getting up and the XP, health and other such menu bars though large parts of the radar functionality had to be left alone as otherwise the in-game map wouldn't have worked as a replacement for it.

EDIT: Seems one can keep the exe by hex editing one of the dll's instead, thus bypassing having to use older files. :)
    (Also the shortcut/command-line command -nologos works to remove most of those.)

http://forums.steamgames.com/forums/showthread.php?p=24949671

EDIT: Perhaps enemy_progress.src might be of interest, controls level scaling.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011