De Quervain syndrome (Gamers thumb)

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by alanm, Sep 20, 2018.

1. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Never had hand, wrist or thumb issues in last 2 decades of gaming, but recently it got me bad. AC Origins caused it, specifically the arena fights. In the arena (on xbox controller), your thumb is working on over-drive, mashing the hell out of the YBAX buttons, and if spend too much time there, it takes its toll. Outside the arena, combat of course is balanced with other gameplay elements, so you are not overly stressing your thumb. This involved the right thumb in my case, but other gamers may have issues with left thumb in differing scenarios.

https://i.**********/Dyps33pn/gamers_thumb.jpg

Info I came across ranged from quitting (controller based) gaming altogether to taking a 3 week break and doing hand, wrist, thumb exercises. Tried various things that didnt help and pain persisted. In my search, found something that finally seems to be working and is giving me some welcome relief. Will still take a few weeks break from the controller. If anyone has had hand, wrist or thumb problems, you may check this channel out. This doctor is a genius imo:

2. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    I have wanking sydrome. Too much wanking.

Clawedge likes this.
  3. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    Good old keyboard + mouse have never gave me such problems.

Good luck in getting healed.

StewieTech likes this.
  4. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    Yeah me neither. I have no problems. Well, i never abused my body anyway. If i play all day long i guess there would be some harm done.

5. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 Super
    Your first post would seem to suggest otherwise.. ;)

Yeah Coilin McRae Rally was a killer for this kind of thumb strain, especially the Corsca courses, loads of tight, tarmac corners your thumb was never given a chance to rest.