DDR5 - DDR4 question

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Hyadum, Mar 26, 2022.

1. Hyadum

Hyadum Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS Tuf 3080 10GB
    Hey guys, I wanted to ask something about the current RAM situation and possible future proofing. I had opened a thread some time ago about a possible new build but I never actually managed to buy it since stuff happened IRL. Now I might be able to buy some stuff so new build, new question :)

I know DDR5 right now is overpriced being new and low supply while also being not that much faster if any at all than DDR4. But... all I read about is that DDR5 is going to obviously be improved and become much better/faster in the close future (1/2 years?). Is this improvement actually going to be worth the paying for whatever 16GB DDR5 I can find right now just to have the ability to buy more and faster RAM later on? (it's around 160EU for 16gb 5200 cl40 DDR5)

Or maybe I should just get the DDR4 variant of the mobo, get 32gb 3200 or 3600 with cl16-18 and be set for the rest of this build life?

Right now I'm still using ddr3 at 1600 and while I'm being limited by 8GB, I don't think I've ever felt speed being that much of a problem, at least for the use I do since I mostly game.

Any opinions? I want to keep whatever I'm going to buy for a long time but if the RAM improvements are worth it, I can spend more for less now but have the ability of upgrade instead of being locked in older architecture.

The full build (12700k, msi z690 a pro, whatever GPU i can find wether 3000 series or 4000) cost is mostly the same either with DDR4 or DDR5, just 32gb with the first and 16gb with the second, but with more money needed to upgrade later on if needed.

2. Calenhad

Calenhad Active Member

GPU:
    MSi 3080ti Suprim X
    I would just go with a good set of DDR4 and be done with it. It is more bang for the buck for the near future, and who knows how the next months/year will be with the current state of things in the world.

Hyadum likes this.
  3. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Agreed, there is little performance benefit going for top end DDR5 unless you use low res @ extremely high frame rate, and even then its quite a price to pay for that.
    If you ever feel you want to move to DDR5 you can sell your current board/ram when DDR5 prices are much better, with barely a difference in cost compared to buying DDR5 setup now.
    In the meantime you will have very good performance and later will exceed what is currently available for sensible money.
    Overall win and better longevity.

Hyadum likes this.
  4. Hyadum

Hyadum Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS Tuf 3080 10GB
    With "good set" do you mean very high end DDR4 or just good stable?

5. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    You would never be recommended something unstable, DDR4 has had a long run and ram from the main mfrs is very stable.
    He means good performance.

To me this is around the performance of 3600C16 to 4000C19, which can be bought for very reasonable prices.
    You can find faster for very good prices as well, times always change.

Remember, the quality of your motherboard can dictate the maximum speed.

6. Hyadum

Hyadum Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS Tuf 3080 10GB
    Thanks! I'll be looking around :)

7. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Oh yes, unless you dont mind returning ram that cant run at rated speed, buy ram that is either:
    on the QVL for your specific motherboard,
    or someone has bought and tested the exact ram (including version number) on your specific motherboard (including version number).
    If you cant get hold of the version numbers you cannot used that method.

Hyadum likes this.
  8. Hyadum

Hyadum Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS Tuf 3080 10GB
    Yeah, I've been checking the QVL for every RAM modules I've been looking just to be sure :D

Why_Me and Mufflore like this.