DDR4 RAM Demonstrated at ISSCC available in 2013

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Feb 25, 2012.

1. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390 8GB
    dunno, my system still cuts it for me. guess i should thank consoles.

2. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti @ 2GHz
    I realize they're just prototypes but DDR4-2400, really? That's 150MHz unless something has changed and I need to be informed. I tend to use 250MHz memory... DDR2-1000, DDR3-2000... I'll be waiting for DDR4-4000 that has good timings.

3. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Considering the "real-world" impact of memory...not worth twice the price...

4. Cambria

Cambria Banned

GPU:
    8800GTS 320MB
    You dont think 12GB of DDR4 would be worth at least $120?

Back in 2003, I paid $200 for 512MB of DDR500.

I think $120 would be reasonable.

5. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Oh man, i'm so glad i don't live in your perfect world....a world where nothing advances....

[​IMG]

Serious note though, you do realize that if there's no push for greater and better hardware on the PC market, that instead of every generation of console going to 7-15 times faster then the previous, it'll go down to 2-3 times faster?

What's the point of advancing technology if no one wants it for 10 years

By that you mean...their games look like they are from 2007 still? or have they finally updated to 2008? hardware limitation you say? ah, guess they're still in 2007

sparkly effects and blurring does not = look better

Call of Duty MW3, the engine rather, is one of the easiest engines to run on hardware, mainly because it masks its graphics, but that's a different thing all together, my point is, on console, the game looks horrible, and when the PC version itself isn't up to PC standards, and consoles can't even match that, that's just sad

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    4GB is sufficient for most users....even on this forum.

My current memory ( G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) ) currently sells for $80....and the memory it replaced now sells for $60 for 8GB...... I don't think $120 for 12GB is reasonable. In fact, it's possible to get 16GB for $90....

I would have never bought my current memory kits due to pricing. Instead, I would have gone with the $90 16GB G.Skill kit.....but, can't argue with free memory...especially when it's as nice as what I have.

7. Zareph

Zareph Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire NITRO+ RX480 4GB
    I seem to remember DDR4 not being worth the performance increase vs cost as V-RAM, so why not just skip to DDR5 like on graphics cards?

Either way I'm definitely skipping DDR4. I can wait.

EDIT @ sykozis: Indeed, I've got 8 gigs of RAM and I've never used more than like 5GB at any one time, and usually I don't even use 3 for huge games on maxed out graphics, like BF3.
    I regret purchasing 4GB DDR3 not so long ago, the increase can't be felt.

8. GAR818

GAR818 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080ti TRIO
    i use more than 3gb browsing the web, the more the better, 4GB is a joke, 8gb of ddr3 is $35, need i say more?

9. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    GDDR5 is founded on DDR3 memory, if memory serves! GDDR5 is not DDR5 as it were.

10. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    I think you might need to run ccleaner there champ.

I use 2gb while browsing with d3d, fraps, avg, msi, coretemp running in the background.

I agree that more than 4gb is warranted these days for gaming...but over 3gb browsing is crazy.

11. Cambria

Cambria Banned

GPU:
    8800GTS 320MB
    Well then I suppose it may be your loss if DDR4 proves to be faster. RAM is so cheap these days its insane. Like I said, DDR back in the day was rather expensive in comparison.

12GB of DDR4 for $120 would still be like HALF the price of your average 1GB DDR400 kit in 2001.

And DDR3 is how old now? Thats probably the main reason WHY its so dirt cheap. Dont forget. Old hardware gets cheaper to produce. Your ALWAYS going to have to pay the price for new technology. $120 may be double the price of DDR3 NOW, but what did DDR3 cost upon its arrival? I have a feeling 4GB was more than $120.

Either way, RAM is still getting cheaper. We are seeing increased speeds and increased capacities at lower prices.

Add to the fact that you wont have a choice eventually. When new motherboards (possibly whatever Intel plans to use in 2014 with their 14nm chip) will probably require DDR4.

12. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    will be relatively expensive at first then become cheap like ddr3

13. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    Like I said earlier,. Intel's first 14nm chip (Broadwell) will have to be on DDR3, otherwise the Socket 1150 will only last the time that Haswell is out. I think Intel want a socket to last 2 CPU releases (like Sandy Bridge & Ivy Bridge being on socket 1155). DDR4 is very likely to be with the Skylake architecture.

14. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Technology has never been made to "build to last", if they did, we won't be where we are now. Tech has always been a fast pace evolution that we just have learned to accept.

Standard bathtub effect man, it'll eventually get cheap, and then when we move to the next generation, the previous generation's price skyrockets as manufacturers stop producing the old stuff.

deltatux

15. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    ^^^I don't know about that...I have an Athlon XP / ABIT nF2 in another room that's still humming along....;)

My point is that (some) PC tech evolves way ahead of it's time, making current hardware prematurely obsolete, and giving us new gen tech that can't be taken advantage of...

Examples; DDR4 ram - DDR3 is only just becoming mainstream and not really being fully utilized by the masses (many systems use 800/1066/1333, not 1600/1800/2133).

Another one is PCI-Express...I mean, 2.0 isn't even being used to it's capacity, yet chipset makers are starting to move towards 3.0.
    Which brings me to USB 3.0, how many people do you think have USB3 devices they can use with the new USB3 chipsets..? Not many I bet....

Once upon a time systems lasted 3 yrs or so before an upgrade was needed, now it feels like I'm being railroaded into upgrading every year or so.....

Maybe that's a sign I visit this forum too much, lol.....:p

16. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    I can live with new memory types coming out every 5 years or so, its the blasted GPUs shoved down our throats every year that bugs me. Anyway Haswell is still DDR3 which I'm looking forward to and have 16gb of spare DDR3 set aside for. Broadwell, Haswells die-shrunk successor I believe will also be DDR3, so looks like I'm covered for next 4 years.

Bear in mind, first DDR3 prototypes were announced in 2005 and it took a couple years before motherboards first began to accommodate them. I reckon were still a ways off before we began to consider DDR4 for future builds.

17. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    ^I know what you mean about gfx cards, kinda ironic tho since many games these days are ports...
    I was lucky enuf to have an 8800GTX, got it 2nd hand in 2008, lasted until I retired it in time for BF3....the kicker is I don't even play BF3 anymore.. got bored of it after a week. lol

Well DDR3 might be $35 where you come from, but in NZ you won't find 8GB for less than $100.

Btw I hear totally ya on more ram = better.. :thumbup:
    Up until yesterday I had 12GB, but I pulled out 4GB for a rig I built my parents.
    Now I only have 8GB and my system is so much sloooower :(

Having 12GB really made a huge difference, stuff like reading emails, surfing the net and watching videos was so much faster.....plus it made my e-peen bigger -
    8GB should really be the minimum for any PC, personally idk how people can use any less.;)

[​IMG]

18. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    You can get 8GB of DDR3 for as little as $34 here, mind you thats DDR3-1333, and in Australian dollars (currently worth more than the US dollar, and the NZ dollar).

http://www.staticice.co.nz/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=ddr3+8gb&spos=3

That shows the cheapest price in NZ is NZ$56. I'm guessing the computer store named 'Dodgy Bastards' on that list isn't true to its name, and if it is, least they're honest :D

You are right though when it comes to DDR3-1866, thats at least NZ$120 for 8GB. DDR3-2133 you might as well buy a plane ticket and buy it in another country...

Here DDR3-2133 is around AUS$75 (quick currently conversion makes that ~NZ$96), considering over there it ranges from NZ$207 to NZ$513, your point is well taken

So do you make use of trans-Tasman online computer stores?

19. Cambria

Cambria Banned

GPU:
    8800GTS 320MB
    Yea. And it probably takes an hour to boot up. Sure. Computers can technically "last forever" but technology will advance past it. ALWAYS. And thus people upgrade to faster hardware cuz its not 1995 and we dont feel like waiting an hour to surf the web just to wait another hour for the web page to load. If technology never advanced, we would still be using 1MHz processors and the world would still be in the 1950s. Not saying thats bad, I would love to live in the 1950s. But I love having a computer from 2012.

And by the way, systems still can last 3 years. My last 2 computers lasted almost 6 years each. And Im still using my graphics card from the last one and its doing just fine. Its more of a choice to upgrade on a yearly basis, or when new technology comes out. Its never been required. Im 100% certain my i7-970 will be performing just fine in the next 3 years without me needing to upgrade it.

I doubt the difference between 8GB and 12GB is even noticeable. Unless your computer is full of crap. I dont even use 2GB surfing the web and watching videos. I dont even use 1GB. The most chrome has ever used is 700MB.

In fact I made a thread displaying how much it took to even use 9GB.

4GB is probably enough for the average user, even an occasional gamer seeing as games wont use 4GB anyway. Most games dont even use over 1GB.

20. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    OK, the thing about the stores in your link is they are all online, not retail...it's unlikely they even have that stuff in stock..... and that is some really budget ram ....like - who are A-RAM? lol

If you want to see what hardware really costs, have a look at this site - it's one of the biggest computer retail chains in the country.

My Kingston HyperX 8GB/1600 cost $134, granted it's performance ram but that is still pretty damned expensive imho... I also have 4GB Corsair ValueRam....$98

While I have bought parts online (mostly 2nd hand stuff) and admittedly it's a lot cheaper, often it's easiest to just walk into a store and pay over the counter.

This eliminates the possibility of the online shop "discovering" that the $200 motherboard you just ordered and paid for actually isn't in stock like they said and "sorry but it will be at least another 2 weeks before we can ship it".
    Normally this "discovery" is made right after they detect the money from your bank acoount :D

The other advantage with physical stores is the RTB warranty...I prefer dealing with sellers face to face when it comes to rma's.
    A good example is I bought some Corsair RAM that was bad, replacing it was as easy as walking into the store and having them test it, then walking out agin 20mins later with a replacement...try doing that online...:)

As far as AUS/NZ tradeing goes, yeah we have a site called TradeMe (Same as E-Bay) that sees a lot of trans-Tasman trading. Its hugely popular....check it out http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers.

Tbh I have bought/sold a heap of stuff on there....