DDR4 RAM Demonstrated at ISSCC available in 2013

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Guru3D News

Guru3D News Ancient Guru

DDR4 the next DRAM memory standard is expected to be massively adopted by 2014 which means that the companies behind its existence have to start showing prototypes now instead of later. It so happens...

More...

2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Owning a PC these days requires throwing money into a bottomless pit of new technology......madness, nothing is future-proof anymore.

What ever happened to hardware that was "built to last":3eyes:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  3. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    Most of it's sitting in my store cubdoard.

4. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    New ram is coming out that is faster and uses 40% less power. I don't see what's not to like.

5. WaroDaBeast

WaroDaBeast Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD7950
    Just because there's new stuff doesn't mean old hardware doesn't perform well. Just look at my trusty 8800 GTS. Its performance is pathetic when compared to that of an HD7970, but I can still play BF3 with it, so I don't really care.

6. bobdude

bobdude Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6gb
    glad im not going to upgrade anymore and moving to console

7. r3claim3r

r3claim3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 FE
    With every new memory type comes the same situation: a bit slower than the previous type (because of higher latencies) and freakishly expensive. Then it gets faster and cheaper.

8. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    Could just stay on PC and use lower graphics settings. Turn everything down, lower the resolution etc and you have yourself a console emulator :) and no need to upgrade!

9. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    Apparently AMD will be using DDR4 before Intel, from what I have seen of currently roadmaps only AMD will have DDR4 in 2014. So, by the article stating that it will be 'massively adopted' in 2014, are they saying AMD's will be massively adopted in 2014 :)

Look at it this other way:
    Haswell does NOT have DDR4 support. Haswell has a new socket (socket 1150). Broadwell, the Haswell 14nm dieshrink, is available mid 2014. Same socket, so unable to support DDR4.

The earlist time Intel would currently be able to have DDR4 is with the Skylake architecture, which would have to be on yet another new socket.

10. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    As I understand it, DDR4 is more designed for point to point connections so we may see quad channel RAM as standard, or maybe going back to 2 slots per motherboard depending on architectures, as opposed to the multi-DIMM per channel we see nowadays.

11. bobdude

bobdude Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6gb
    not really...i was also talking about next gen anyways don't miss much even on my 360...

12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    In order for "massive adoption" to occur....prices have to be reasonable and Intel has to support it..... Doesn't help them to be in mass production, if Intel doesn't support or...if the prices are too high to make it feasible. People won't flock to upgrade if the memory costs as much or more than the processor.

13. Cambria

Cambria Banned

GPU:
    8800GTS 320MB
    When was this? 1990? Technology has been advancing since the dawn of computers. Hate to break it to you, but this is the nature of the beast.

And its been a fairly steady rate the past decade, so this is not anything new. Id say its about time for DDR4. We have had DDR3 for some time now.

Im sure it will be reasonably priced. RAM is dirt cheap for whatever reason. So even if its slightly more expensive or even double the price of DDR3, it may be worth it. I paid $67 for 12GB. I would gladly pay $120 for 12GB of DDR4 if I got twice the bandwidth out of it.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  14. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    You mean this?

[​IMG]

Daym, this case with those stickers would make a great sleeper rig at a LAN.

15. avivoni

avivoni Ancient Guru

GPU:
    560ti 448 classified
    what bothers me most is the need for changing motherboard everytime. If we could just change parts and keep our motherboard it wouldnt be so hard on the wallet. but of course its better for them to keep swaping things faster than a baby needs new pampers cause it gives more money money money.

16. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    If the Xbox 720 and PS4 have the suggested performance, and they last as long as the current gen consoles, they are going to look very pitiful at the end of their lifespan. The capability of the graphics etc on the next gen consoles, on the best game, at the end of the consoles lifespan, a decent PC is more than capable of doing now if done correctly.

By PC I don't mean laptops which most consolers' tend to compare to, or a low end/5 year old desktop PC.

17. bobdude

bobdude Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6gb
    not really...ps3 and 360 are at the end of there's and games just keep looking better as they learn...

18. avivoni

avivoni Ancient Guru

GPU:
    560ti 448 classified
    ^^^ ur ps3 must look better than mine.

19. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    It still is? Overall technological pace really hasn't changed much ;)

A classic example would be the Q6600 although im bias.

20. Skyline1010

Skyline1010 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 650Ti Boost
    That's cool. SOMEDAY I'll jump from my C2D/DDR2/8800GTX rig...someday.