ddr2 d9 buyers guide (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by WildStyle, Apr 30, 2007.

1. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    yeah that would be a very nice combination.the 8500s will allow for some very sweet ocs.

2. Bani

Bani Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 8800 GTX
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2007
  3. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    the performance should be the same with either(your mb may have a big impact).the question is do you need/want 4gbs.if your planning on running xp/vista64 in the future and playing alot of dx10 games then i would say 4gbs is a good idea.at that price tho i would say definately go with 4gbs.youll be set for a longtime with those modules!

4. Bani

Bani Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 8800 GTX
    Thanks maxfly, yes I "need" 4 GB because both my rigs will have Vista and hopefully run DX10 games :p

5. Bani

Bani Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 8800 GTX
  6. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    thats an excellent choice Bani.ive been using it for nearly a year now and have zero complaints with it.it does a great job of cooling and you can barely hear it with a near silent rig.ive cranked as much as 2.4v thru my ballistix and they have never been more than warm to the touch with it.
    you wont be disappointed :D

7. Bani

Bani Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 8800 GTX
    Thanks, good to hear, since I just ordered 2 of them earlier today :p

8. psyxeon

psyxeon Guest

GPU:
    Saffi 6800xt
    Hi,

I bought another pair of cellshock 6400 (ddr800)

But while overcloking I saw that spd shows as 533. No EPP - week 15/07

The serial on the case and ram matches with ddr 800, but not in spd!
    I changed slots but it is the same. I will return them tomorrow and try to get a new par.

My old pair shows ddr 800 EPP - week 25/07

LOL, why?
    Did clellshock messed up?
    Are they trying to sell ddr 667 ram as ddr 800?
    Did U experience something like this before?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2007
  9. Pain|Killer

Pain|Killer New Member

I have a corsair XMS2 6400. How can i find out it's chip maker and rev no. If i remove the heat sinks then warranty will be void. Is there any other way of checking it i.e software or ID code etc.

10. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    hmm my guess is that they just didnt program them for some odd reason :( they likely run the same ics but its better to be safe than sorry.did you give them a try for max stable?what kind of clocks did you get if you did?
    ive seen alot of modules that didnt show the right profile but they still oced really well.
    be sure to post what the next set show for you.im intrigued,i wonder if those 15/07s were gkx being that they were older than the ones showing the right profile?

http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57334
    youll need to get the rev.# off of the sticker on your heatspreaders to find out what ics you have.but fortunately corsair is the best at making ic use readily available.

11. psyxeon

psyxeon Guest

GPU:
    Saffi 6800xt
    maxfly this is my third setthis week! They are all the same my provider has 50 pairs of 15/07 ddr 667 in bios 1.8v

pfff I,m mad

15/07 ddr 667 in bios

25/07 shows ddr 800 in bios

They overclock the same 2,2v between 1117 and 1192 stable In prime for a few ours!

I downloaded spd tool and flashed them, now they are ddr 800 too!

PD: Prime stable 8 hours 1117 - 5 - 5 - 5 - 15

But I,m sending em back again today! Well actually i,m driving to the shop, They know me well overthere. The RMA man!

12. orgnlprankster7

orgnlprankster7 Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga 8800GTS 512
  13. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    i would probably go with the crucial ddr2 6400s tbh.the 9 multi of the 6600 will allow for a very reasonable oc of 3.6 at stock speeds(400fsb).so if you arent planning on a massive oc the 6400s should be more than enough.
    if your looking for modules that will allow for ultra tight timings at less than their stock speeds i would suggest the crucial 8500s from the ones your looking at.they are the best ocers out of the three youve chosen.
    the dominators no longer use d9gmh.they have switched to quimonda ics which dont scale well at all.which means your pretty much stuck at stock timings and speeds with them.
    the reapers are solid but they dont always clock well.ocz tends to bin their stuff really well.which doesnt leave much room for ocers unfortunately.this can be said about alot of the larger companies.
    the ballistix 6400/8500s are quite simply the best modules you can get right now.they scale well(1200 is really common)and they allow for very nice timings at less than stock speeds.

14. Pain|Killer

Pain|Killer New Member

Maxfly i checked mine as you suggested and it shows that I have PROMOS 90nm chip. How is it? How is its capability of overclocking?

15. orgnlprankster7

orgnlprankster7 Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga 8800GTS 512
    thanks for the input :thumbup:, im going to go with the crucial 8500s just because they are faster out of the box and are still a very good price.

16. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    promos arent the best but they certainly arent the worst.you might have solid modules or they may be strictly stock ocers.you shouldnt have a problem hitting 900.they might do 1000 but its just a matter of luck of the draw tbh.
    give them a good once over and see what they can do :D

@orgnlprankster7 glad to help!

17. psyxeon

psyxeon Guest

GPU:
    Saffi 6800xt
    I can't overclock 4 x 1024 cellshock to 1117 Impossible! max is 1050

I give em 2,2v and is the same! They crash on prime!

With 2 sticks was so easy!

cheers!

18. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    you may need to give your nb a little more voltage.that may help you get them up a bit higher.

19. Pain|Killer

Pain|Killer New Member

Thanks maxfly. Ok can you tell me the top three ics that have great potential of overclocking and which i should consider whenever i plan to buy new ram?

20. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    glad to help!
    the very best ics are micron d9gmh and d9gkx.thats it for the best of the best tbh.right now gmh is the best bang for the buck hands down.gkx scales very very well but its also much more expensive.
    the most consistantly high ocers right now are the crucial ballistix 8500s.cellshocks 8000+ are also very nice d9gmh/gkx modules to keep an eye out for.then there are the gskill hz series that also run d9gmh and scale very well.
    i wouldnt give up on those promos tho.they may surprise you :)