ddr2 d9 buyers guide (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by WildStyle, Apr 30, 2007.

1. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    glad to help man!i look forward to your ocing results with that stuff :D

2. SolidBladez

SolidBladez Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti OC
    Hey guys, I was thinking about getting the Ballistix Tracer 2GB PC2-8500 (2x1GB) with LEDs. Currently I have the WINTEC AMPX PC2-5400 (2x1GB) modules.

I can get the Ballistix for about $159 (with free shipping, :)) at ZipZoomfly.com

If I run my CPU and memory at 1:1 ratio, would I be able to OC my CPU farther? Just wondering because my temperatures are, at the moment, perfect (34C idle and 58C load using CoreTemp).

Mike.

3. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    those 8500s are imo the very best ocers you can get.the short answer is yes.on the otherhand with the 9 multi of the 6600 you probably wont need that much bandwidth unless you run a lower multi.so even if you went with the 6400s you will have no problem hitting your max stable oc on the cpu.now if your looking to get uber tight timings and get the most out of your cpu the 8500s are the best bet.so it essentially comes down to what kind of oc you want to maintain.

4. SolidBladez

SolidBladez Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti OC
    Alright thanks maxfly, going to order the Crucial Bullistix's right now. They just came back in stock, that's kinda why I asked that question earlier. :)

Also, I went with these since they have the flashing LEDs and blue light. This will look awesome in my already lit up chasis. :smoke:

Mike.

5. jonerkinsella

jonerkinsella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rx480
    these sticks of tracer look so sweet.
    i got them today.
    i have them at 1.1 @ 3.3.3.9 2.2v ,i may try and drop the volts to 2.1v and see if they hold the timings.

6. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    i envy you guys!i really want to get some of the 8500 tracers :D

7. SolidBladez

SolidBladez Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti OC
    Join GlobalTestMarket.com and you'll get checks in the mail like.. *that*.

Getting a $100 check in 2 weeks.. :) :)

Mike.

8. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    i'v done the blink thing lol they treat you good..
    hey max whats up
    help please?> this is what i need,one 1gx2 ddr2 c3 kit that runs fast speeds
    what do you think?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2007
  9. Kingme24

Kingme24 Active Member

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 5850 @775/1125
  10. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    geez sorry Cowie i completely missed your post bro.
    hmm what kind of speed are you looking at running?there are some cas 3 kits out there but they are generally ddr2 667(teamgroup).no luck running your 8000s at cas3?if your looking for cas 3 at high bandwidth ie 400-500mhz it will be tough to find anything guaranteed to run those timings.most stuff is only rated to run cas4 at those speeds.so youll likely have to try something along the lines of the cellshock 8500/8000 or the crucial 8500s.even then with high bandwidth it will be hard to maintain cas3 without overvolting them.
    let me know what kind of speeds your looking at and ill see what i can find for ya.

the tracers are a very solid choice for ocing.they will run just fine on your mb with a little fiddling,no biggie at all.what youll have to do is go into the bios and manually change the timings and voltage as soon as you install them.or your mb with run them at its default values of 5-5-5-18 1.8v.with that mb it doesnt actually tell you what the voltage is.it will only give you a option of increasing the voltage in increments.so youll need to increase the voltage by .40 to get to 2.2v,once youve done that you can tighten the timings up and youll be good to go.

11. macdaddy

macdaddy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TITAN X
    Ballistix 8500 ...... just got my 3rd set, gave a set to my bro. Thinking back these are just as good as my C3 Dominators which i paid $ 950 aus when it first came out !!!! Now if only my asus P5N32 E SLI has a fix to oc them i can go SLI instead using the asus P5K deluxe ...

12. axis01

axis01 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTS G92
    What's wrong with our ram OC with this board? I'm running 8500 ballistix and have them running at 4-4-4-8 1T @900mhz with the same board.

Axis

13. izikog

izikog Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6950@70 910/1400
    how many volts do you give to your ram to run 4 sticks in 1t... I have sam mobo bios 0501 and the ram does not want to run 1t on stock speed

14. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    you shouldnt need more than 2.2v for either 2t or 1t.the command rate is based on the chipset rather than the mem voltage.most mbs wont run 1t at more than 900-950mhz(notice Axis is running 900).so youll likely have to drop the memory speed to run 1t.

15. macdaddy

macdaddy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TITAN X
    The asus board will not me not let me go over 2.0v on the rams anymore then 2.0v i cant get pc posting. So no oc on 4gb but with 2gb its no problem.

16. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    i was just reading a thread about a guy having issues ocing his corsair dominator 8500s(presumed to be micron d9 ics)beyond the stock speed.despite cranking the voltage all the way up to 2.6v he couldnt crack 1100 at all.having personally verified the 8500s,i was 100% sure they ONLY used micron ics.my first thought was hmm something smells rotten here.either they have switched ics or this guy doesnt know what hes doing.the latter being unlikely i headed off to check for myself.
    lo and behold i just checked corsairs ddr2 ic listing and guess what?they use qimonda ics in their dominator 8500s now!NOT MICRON D9!apparently they switched ics during rev2.ive no idea when this switch occured but im very disappointed.

this is a bit of a rant if you havent noticed but i feel utterly and completely justified.they pulled the same EXACT thing with the 6400 doms back in april/may.as a matter of fact it caused quite a furor back then as im sure it will now.

i am SOOOO glad i dont normally suggest corsair dominator 8500s very often.i would feel like crap if someone bought those upon my recomendation and they turned out to be dogs!not to mention the fact that my credibility would be shot!!!

sorry corsair.as good as your customer support is and most of your products are.you have been pulled from my personal ddr2 ocing ic list for good.if i have to double check your ics everytime i suggest your memory...bah!id rather not suggest them at all.

17. macdaddy

macdaddy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TITAN X
    Yeah seems like corsair has lost its way a bit also the upper end market as well now. Im still stuck with a pair of cosiar 6400C4 d9 that causes a bios checksum error whichever mobo that i tried sticking them in ... !!!. That will teach me to make sure i set oc's back to stock b4 i pull things apart. Also Max how do the ocz 8500 sli fare with the ballistixs 8500 ?? are both use the same ics ? They ocz over here cost nearly a $100 aust more !!

18. MR.BONES

MR.BONES Master Guru

GPU:
    xfx6850
    @Maxfly......Ive been watching the "More dead D9's" thread over at Ocers forum and this is certanly bothersome,Have you seen any other threads like this floating around?.Just got my ballistix 8500 cas5 yesterday and almost crapped my shorts after reading that thread:uhoh:,I was gonna to sell of my XMS2 promos,Think i will keep them as back ups.BTW the Ballistix 8500 are nice rams.

19. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    they both use the same ics but the ballistix are the superior ocers.the ocz are still good but they generally require more voltage to hit high ocs.

actually there was a thread at xs similiar to that back when d9s first became really popular.lately tho i havent seen any other than that one.you have to keep in mind that d9s are the preferred ics for ocers.so its really not that unusual to see some dead modules here and there.especially considering most people that buy d9s are planning on overvolting them asap lol.
    im sure if we could see the other side of the coin the balance would quickly shift in favor of people that have had their modules for months running 24/7 problem free.
    tbh i wouldnt worry much about those ballistix you have.they are by far the most consistant ocers you can get right now,bar none.you made a very solid choice :cheers:

20. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6900xt / RTX3090
    Maxfly , G.Skill customer support and RMAs are awsome , got my HZs replaced with brand new ones by G.Skill :D.