ddr2 d9 buyers guide (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by WildStyle, Apr 30, 2007.

1. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    ah i c.tbh i had no idea there were rankings...well i dont have my rig to run anyhow :( im still trying to get my paint just right.

i hear ya man.it gets pricey tho.if you happen to know someone in the states maybe they could hook you up? :smoke:

2. jonerkinsella

jonerkinsella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rx480
    well guys seems my crucial ballistix kit is shagged im gona rma it back.
    now i was (before my ram died) gonna add another 2gig ballistix kit for 4 gig, but i was also thinking about selling my kit and getting a 2x2 4gig kit.
    now there is a possibility that i may be able to exchange my ballistix kit in part for this kit '' corsair TWIN2X4096-6400C5 G''
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=338074&view=links
    the kit runs at 5.5.5.18 (newegg quote 5.5.5.15 ?)

there are also ocz's with a better timing of 5.5.5.15 but they are about €30 dearer.
    only 1 stick in my ballistix kit is dead so my pc is still running.komplett do not have my kit in stock and im not really in a position to be without a pc for a week or 2.

do you guys think i should grab the corsairs.
    i was also thinking of this kit if i sell my replacement ram.
    http://www.memoryc.com/products/des...CL5_Series_800MHz_Dual_Channel_kit/index.html
    now i know the timings are faster but i need to get my ram sold and then order this ram and collect it etc.

what do you guys think.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2007
  3. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    for ocing i would stick with the ballistix but if you are running 1:1 and dont need more than the rated speed for your oc the 2x2gb kits arent a bad idea.the difference in timings wont make a huge difference but it will have a small impact on benches mostly.
    another thing to keep in mind is that crucial will cross ship you a new set.so if the cc can take it you wont need to suffer thru any down time if you rma the ballistix.
    good luck Joner i hope everything works out for you man!

4. jonerkinsella

GPU:
    rx480
    hhmm.
    i know that right now the ballistix are gonna do there stuff but if i add another 2 sticks its gonna put a bigger strain onto my system , am i right ??.
    tbh i have not needed to clock the current ballistix because i have been running 1t . ive actually been running the ballistix at 3.3.3.9 @533mhz when the cpu was not clocked .when ive benched the cpu at 3.3gig i was letting them out to 4.4.4.12.
    im kinda thinking of a few months down the line here .
    if komplett give me the offer to exchange my kit with about €90 then i think i will take the 4gig kit as it will cost about another €150 to add another 2x1gig ballistix and i dont know if it will be worth it in the end.
    also i think i will probably get more cash for a 2x2gig kit than 4x1gig if i decide to sell them in the future.

am i making sense or am i a fool :)

5. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    your making perfect sense.
    the ocer in me says NO dont do it!keep the ballistix!
    lol but on the otherhand if you arent ocing beyong 800mhz theres really no need for the ballistix.so the 2x2gb kit makes sense.
    4x1gb will in fact make your chipset work harder but most mbs are up to the task.then again you may wind up being one of the unlucky ones of course.tbh tho the chances of your not being able to run 4x1 successfully are pretty low.either way,i think youll be fine both ocing and stability wise.
    the resale factor is a good thing to keep in mind if you may upgrade soon.the 2x2gb kit will definately hold its value better than the 4x1gb will.
    so if it makes better sense to YOU to grab a 2x2 kit.then you should do exactly that.

6. jonerkinsella

GPU:
    rx480
    thanks for the reply max.
    im gonna let you guys know what decision i make when i know more about whats happening with my rma.

7. metzgerov

metzgerov Member

GPU:
    ATI Sapphire X1950XT
  8. Evele

Evele Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700 XT
    What's the scoop on the D7 chips I'm seeing around?

9. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    @Metzgerov
    nice find there!not the best ocers but thats a great price!patriot is a very solid manufacturer to boot.

no idea...are they 2gb modules?i havent heard anything about d7s...

Last edited: Aug 17, 2007
  10. macdaddy

macdaddy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TITAN X
    abit of topic but i need help on this. I have a pair of corsair d9 800 c4 which from memory i oc'ed. I proceeded to pull apart my whole system without setting things to default. Now here is problem when i tried to rebuild the system on my bfg 680i i keep on getting bios checksum error. So i reset cmos and tried to boot from floopy as to reflash the bios but awd.flash tells me its not right bios p30. Please bear with me.
    So i put in a whole new system with the my asus p5n32 e sli and tried using the corsair rams and i get the long beeping sound as ram problem. So i used my ballistixs and everything went fine got the system and operating system running. Curious i then proceeded to pull out the Ballistixs and stuck in the corsair and to my suprise it posted the same bios checksum error as with the bfg 680i. Sticking back the Ballistixs it went back the normal.
    So now i want to know what is the problem here ??? is it possible that the cosair rams are stuck on oc'ed settings. I dont see how this is possible because its the bios that oc the ram .?? or are my rams cooked ???. Theories anyone ???

11. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    if possible try running memtest86+ on them.if they fail memtest then you can rest assured your memory is borked.

12. macdaddy

macdaddy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TITAN X
    yeah i will try that but i dont think they broke. Im going to try one more time later on my asus p5k deluxe. Still waiting for my qx6850 so i can get my new build up and running. But dont know why the rams give me the bios checksum error ....

13. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    that is wierd that you only get the checksum error with the corsair.ive had a couple of mbs that gave the same error but it was the mb rather than the ram that caused it.
    try going into the bios.dont change anything in the bios.then save and exit.that may take care of it giving you the error.

14. macdaddy

macdaddy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TITAN X
    Yeah the rams gave me the same error on the two mobo the bfg and asus. One thing i didnt try was using the ballistix on the bfg 680i to see if i can enter the bios and reset it. With the cosairs in both mobo's all i get is the splash screen 'bios checksum error' and it will only boot from floppy i can't do anything ealse can't enter setup at all !!.

15. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    argh that is truly a drag!it just doesnt make sense that they would cause the same error on both boards lol.i wonder if the timings or voltage are causing problems going from the ballistix to the corsair?i think your on the right track with resetting the bios with the ballistix.im definately intrigued!

16. macdaddy

macdaddy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TITAN X
    Also maxy i forgot to mention since i have updated my bfg to p30 bios i keep on going back to default settings in the bios everything i shut down pc and reboot. I have chang the battery and all ... cmos does not give me error it just boots right in with default settings. Is this a known problem ?

17. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    not that ive heard about...i wonder if it isnt the mb rather than the memory?then again its only doing it with the corsair!seriously i wonder if the bios chip isnt borked somehow?

18. jonerkinsella

GPU:
    rx480
    well i decided to purchase the crucial ballistix tracer 2gig 6400 kit.
    ile have it in 2 days.
    they look awsome.
    ile try and get another 2 gig kit in the next few weeks.

19. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    thats a solid choice.i really like the bling factor of the tracers(wish i had gone with them originally).be sure to post some ocs with those badboys!

20. jonerkinsella

GPU:
    rx480
    im a sucker for bling aswell ;-).
    i was always looking for a successor to my twinx pro kit i sold.
    these do look much tastier than the twinx though.
    your input made me stick with the crucial and give them another chance max ,thanks mate.