DDR Problems

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Keith Wing, Dec 29, 2005.

1. Keith Wing

Keith Wing Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 470
    A few months back I upgraded from 754pin A64 to a 939pin setup. I have never been a fan of the dual channel setup because of having to worry about matched sets and what not. Anyway after getting my new MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum and San Diego 3700 setup I had a strange problem in that neither purple slot would work on the MB. If memory was in it the machine wouldn't boot even with matched sets of Corsair, OCZ or Patriot so I ended up running with a 1 Gig. stick in slot 1, green, and 512 MB in slot 3, also green, since this is the only way it would boot with more than one stick of memory. I upgraded my video card this week and got a new MB, MSI K8N Neo4 Plat. to put my 3700 into. Put both memory modules into the same slots but started having alot of stability issues which I was able to solve by removing the one memory module. It didn't matter which one I removed. I tried once again putting a matched set in slots 1 and 2 like the book said but just like before anytime I put a stick in a pruple slot the machine wouldn't post. My conclusion is that the memory controller on the 3700 is bad. What do you guys think? I got it from Monarch and I may look into getting it replaced if they have a 90 day or 1 year warranty.

Keith

2. moshpit

moshpit Guest

it indeed could be a bad memory controller if the sticks are known to be a matched set, there shouldn't be any problems. If so, replace the CPU. What does memtest say?

3. Keith Wing

Keith Wing Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 470
    I haven't run memtest but as I said I tried using matched sets of Corsair, Patriot and OCZ so that should have ruled out the memory.

4. Jacklking

Jacklking Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800gt
    make sure you are using one green and one purple for the dual setup.....look at their website carefully.........you do not use 2 green or 2 purple for dual channel setup........

5. Keith Wing

Keith Wing Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 470
    Believe me I have. It won't post at all except with 1 stick in a green or two sticks in greens. Anything else and it won't post. Tried 2 MB and 3 sets of RAM.

6. Jacklking

Jacklking Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800gt
    I bet its your original assumption.......bad memory controller on the 3700 sorry........rma

I think in time we all have had bad parts right out of the box

7. Keith Wing

Keith Wing Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 470
    I see that AMD offers a 3 year warranty. I called Monarch.com that I got the chip from and left a message for them to call me back. Will I return it to Monarch or should I be going directly to AMD?

Keith