Darksiders II

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I've been playing Darksiders II for about seven hours now and I love it. This game feels a lot more like Zelda than the first game and the balance swings more on the exploring/puzzle side than combat. Some of the puzzles are really neat and had me scratching my head for a while such as how to get a huge stone ball past a closed gate that can only be open by a pressure pad.

Solution:
    Throw sticky bomb at the stone ball after placing it near the closed gate then stand on the pressure pad. Wait for it to open then shout the bomb so it explodes and propels the stone ball through the gate.

It's a very rewarding game in terms of weapons and upgrades. There's always something new to see or a new location or secret passageway to discover. At times it can feel overwhelming as there's so many distractions. Thankfully you can use Dust, Death's raven, to point you in the right direction if you get lost.

Some of the boss battles have been a bit tough but so far they've all been do-able with a bit of patience. The most frustrating one so far was one that could only be killed by pushing hard eggs at it then dashing in and hacking at it while it was stunned. The annoyance came from getting the direction right to hit the boss as often I'd push it to the left or right and miss completely, not helped by the fact that other enemies (which hatch from the eggs after a while) are attacking you too and often get in the way. It was at this point that I wished Death moved a bit faster as it seemed to take forever to reach the hard eggs.

Excellent game but I still feel that it could have been much better visually if the developers had included some enhanced options, particularly for the shadows. Still the graphics are good otherwise.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  2. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
    Darren, how is Darksiders 2 in comparison with Darksiders 1? I Like D2 (now beyoud level 7) and would like to play the first one :). Grafic is the same or better?? Action??

Right now (without forced eyefinity) and v-sync I got up to 300 fps (CPU Limited) and my GPU's barrely jump beyound 60% but Crossfire works well.

3. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT
    they are teh same, even graphically i think, but DS1 history is much better IMO (i'm at lvl6 in DS2 and history didnt get me in, i'm just going on so i can see what happened to guerra). I would go DS1 and stop playing DS2 before you get spoiled.

4. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
    do you have more grafic options in D1 or the same nothing as in D2??

5. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT
    i dont remember, but even if it had options (i think not), it looked the same.

I just use resolution downsampling (2560x1440 to 1920x1080) and done.

6. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    these are the options from ds1

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

files are locked also. which is a problem for some people where the resolution is not supported and they cant change the resolution because its locked.

7. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
    ok, thanks man. I'll see if I'll spend some money for D1.

8. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    If you like the second game then you'll also like the first as they are very similar. I think the combat is better in the second game though. I'm not sure why but it seems less annoying. Also, the RPG-like way you can upgrade your weapons and armour adds depth to the game. The first game doesn't feel quite as large and open as Darksiders II though and the balance between action (combat) and puzzles/exploration swings more heavily toward the former IMO.

I think I preferred the visuals of the first game more though as the pop up, shadow and grass draw in and blockiness of the shadows is a lot more obvious in the this game due to the larger areas. It's clearly a game made to the limitations of console technology such that in order to make it bigger and better they've had to compromise elsewhere which they wouldn't have needed to do if it was on the PC (since it is a scalable platform).

Both games are good and if you want to experience the whole story then I would definitely recommend playing through the first one. You can pick it up cheap enough now anyway so there's no excuse not to.

9. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    Well guys the good news is that I finally managed to get it working.
    The bad news however is that due to vsync seemingly being broke as **** my temps are skyrocketing higher than even Sleeping Dogs does. :bang::bang:

[​IMG]

Sorry if you can't make it out but the GPU temp on the picture above reads 97 degrees which frankly scares the living **** out of me. What the **** is going on with my card these days? :3eyes:

Could it be driver related I wonder?

10. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    radeonpro or d3doverrider ?

11. Stone Gargoyle

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    Tried forcing vsync through both CCC and Radeonpro mate, still doesn't seem to work as I get screen tearing galore.

Think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and drop CPU speeds
    down from 3200 to 2000 as I don't want to blow my card or cpu.

12. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    It looks like no-one has a working in-game V-sync option, which does beg the question of how exactly it was tested. The first game was also released with a broken in-game v-sync as well but it was fixed in the first and only patch. Seems strange that they let the same bug slip into the sequel but given the barebones minimal effort that seems to have been put into the PC version I shouldn't be surprised. I'm just thankful the game works!

I'm currently forcing v-sync through the driver's game profile, which works on NVIDIA cards, but you should be able to use D3DOverrider to force it and triple buffering as well.

13. Stone Gargoyle

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
  14. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    well i finally got to redeem the weapons, it seems to work ok now.

15. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    oh man i freaking love this game. it does have less fighting then ds1 but more puzzles. love the puzzles and getting the chests.
    just got the deathgrip :D

16. Stone Gargoyle

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    I see what people have been saying about the shadows though. They are fecking horrendous when you are running about. :3eyes:

This does have a vastly different vibe to the first which I actually really love. Death's character comes across almost like Raziel from my beloved Soul Reaver games, a mere pawn made to do others bidding in order to gain something. That alone has made me invest in the character so much more than I ever did War already. :)

The graphics will acceptable are still quite disappointing in places as they are severely let down by as I said the shadows and Death himself just doesn't look very good at all. Even with 16xAF enabled. And what's with the horrible low res character in the inventory screen? :puke2:

The gameplay more than makes up for many of the shortcomings though thankfully.

17. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    im almost 12 hours in now , the arena is where im at. great game!!
    so glad it also was released on pc, even though its a ****ty port.

18. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    @ Stone Gargoyle - No doubt the extremely low res shadows and the blocky looking character in the pause screen are to keep the memory footprint low on the consoles. This is blatantly a game not made with any regard for the superior memory and processing power of the PC. It came out the same week as Sleeping Dogs too and the games couldn't be more different in terms of gameplay or technical values.

One is an example of how to do PC multiformat games right and the other is an example of how NOT to do one if you don't want to be accused of being lazy. Can you guess which is which? ;)

19. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
    Sleeping dogs is lazy then I guess.

Darksiders 2 works, sleeping dogs doesn't.

Anyone had a look at the T&C? Truly astounding.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  20. byron_hinson

byron_hinson Member

GPU:
    AMD 6970
    Tried D3DOverrider but can't get v-sync working at all - though wondering if this is more of a Windows 8 issue than D3DO itself. Working fine in windowed mode but not the option I really want!