Dark Souls PTDE FPS frequent drops to 15

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by sa_ill, Jan 4, 2013.

1. sa_ill

sa_ill New Member

GPU:
    Radeon 6850 OC'd
    Spending time optimizing Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition.
    The game runs fine, but momentarily (i.e. for 5 seconds every 30 seconds) the FPS, which is normally a stable 30 FPS, drops to 15 FPS.
    My PC specs are:

Core i5 2500K
    OC'd ATI Radeon 6850
    8 GB RAM
    Windows 7

I am using dsfix 2.0. Have tried fiddling around with all the setting (AA on/off), tried different combos, yet the FPS drop occurs frequently.

Any help?

2. Mooshan

Mooshan Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Armor 1080
    do yo have vsync turned on by any chance? if so i suggest turning that off as if there is a moment the fps drops below 30 it will dive bomb straight to 15 as i have noticed this aswell on older dsfix. I dont have any issue now mind you but still, its worth a shot.

3. sa_ill

sa_ill New Member

GPU:
    Radeon 6850 OC'd
    VSync is forced off in the Application Control Panel in Catalyst. Everything else is set to max.

4. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    As I understood it, for AMD GPU's the Vsync option is for OpenGL titles, Direct3D is handled by the game itself, some compliance thing with DirectX or what it was.

5. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    May be the cards changing clock speeds to power down?.. or you have set DOF or Filtering options to max*.

6. scitek

scitek Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670 FTW
    Turn on the framerate unlocker. Even if you don't want to (or can't) play at 60fps, use MSI Afterburner to limit it to 30. Once you unlock it, if the framerate drops below 30, it'll act as a properly triple buffered game does and just dip to the 20s, not straight to 15.