Dark Souls Performance?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Xzibit, Aug 25, 2012.

1. DarkKnightDude

DarkKnightDude Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX770 4 GB OC
    From the steam forums.

See if this works.

2. pakoo

pakoo Member Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Red Devil EL
    So crappy graphics and crappy textures game

3. Crevox

Crevox Guest

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 7870 2GB

This is just kinda silly and saw it posted before. Not sure what the goal here is or what setting is doing it, but doesn't really seem to help.

4. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce

5. Crevox

Crevox Guest

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 7870 2GB
    No joke, Dark Souls has some of the best (if not THE best) environments and areas ever designed. Resolution fix exists to allow you to fully experience that.

6. Lowki

Lowki Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 Xt
    I just hope there will be some patches or user tools to make performance mods. Otherwise i dont know how i will play through this game slideshow style.

7. Lowki

Lowki Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 Xt
    Also i thought i was going to be able to be slick and force 60 fps with d3doveridder like i do with the dead space games and the force unleashed games. No luck i dont even here the little ding for some reason its not recognizing the app.

8. ThatDelirium

ThatDelirium Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5850 1GB
    Yeah, that wouldn't work, all the animations, controls etc are tied to the framerate, meaning that as soon as it goes beyond 30 the game speeds up, at 60fps the game goes double the normal speed.

I also have the performance problem, but aside from a few places the game remains playable.

9. JaylumX

JaylumX Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 TI 12G
    Those of you who are experiencing performance problems on AMD cards should create a Dark Souls Profile that has AF enabled (I have it on 16x). I can confirm that it resolved that for me, where as it kept frequently going down to 15fps, now it remains at 30 even in the problem areas

10. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    Doesn't work :O

11. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    It did for me, downsampling from 2560x1440 looked 30fpish mostly, when before it was 15fpish mostly.

AF 16x and done.

12. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Guys, the developers said they weren't going to put a lot of effort into the port. Don't expect much.

13. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    I am using -> DSfix 0.5 <-

renderWidth 2650
    renderHeight 1440

dofOverrideResolution 1080

filteringOverride 1 (2 has some performance issue at some locations)

--

Thats it*

My Display resolution in the game is also set to 2650x1440, but downsampled to 1920x1080 on my display (I am using AMD downsampling instead of D3D wrapper downsampling*)

I have also set AA to override in CC with 4xAA, games running fine***

---

AMD 6950
    Phenom II X4 965be@2700Mhz (underclocked)
    4GB RAM
    Windows 7 32-bit
    Playing with PS3 controller (via MotionJoy) in xbox 360 controller emulation

----

Edit: My GPU usage most of the time is <50% even with the above settings (and even less)..or GPUz was reporting/logging it wrong

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  14. I suggested it like three days ago.. Try disabling power play. I've posted how to do it using CCC profiles in an older thread.

The little to no stress on the GPU causes it to run at a lower clock.

15. tet666

tet666 New Member

There are some different problems with this game ,fps drops to 15 because of the upsampling of particle effects for example which is to be expected lowering the internal res helps to fix that ofc, and the strange random 15 fps drops i get in some places.
    The random fps drops seem to be related to the fullscreen mode somehow. I tested this in New Londo Ruins i can reproduce it there every time, i run down to the water and back up to the entrance of the Valley of Drakes and usually after running back 1 or 2 times it drops to 15 fps down at the water looking to the ruins , but it doesnt happen in window mode and it goes back to 30 fps if i alt tab out and back in. very strange.Same in Blighttown
    Removed the resfix mod and it doesnt seem to happen without it. I tested it on another ati machine and its the same there.
    I just use this app:http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2675769 now to force the game in windowed borderless mode and that fixes it for me.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012

16. perosmct

perosmct Banned

GPU:
    unknown
    smooth steady 30 fps here

17. Lowki

Lowki Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 Xt
    I just hit the bios switch to number 2 played with regular clocks for about an hour and stayed at 30 almost the whole time. Vs the ghz bios went down to 15 alot. Im wondering if there isnt some kind of app detection thats not working properly like in skyrim it would down clock to 2d clocks alot i bet it was in this game also??

18. Don't want to sound repetitive, but did you disable power play?

Doing so will lock the GPU clock to whatever you set it at. Basically, it will stop the GPU from down-clocking while in-game (Not enough stress.), which is what causes the FPS to drop.

EDIT: Here, I even found my old post on how to do it.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2012
  19. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970 Ghz Ed.
    I tried this, but the only thing that remained constant was the GPU voltage. It remained at 1.187v (although the xml says 1256/1.256 but it's actually 1.187v) in both windows and 3D. But the clock speed still went down to 150/300 with the voltage staying at 1.187v instead of 0.850v for 2d.

I didn't make a separate profile though. just edited profiles.xml directly.

20. Ah, I'd definitely make separate profiles. Have only "Performance" open in CCC when you make the profile, so it doesn't add other extra **** in the xml. That, and you can easily enable power play again.

I assume you copied "want_2" into all the values, right? ...For memory/core/corevoltage.

Sometimes when you click the disabled profile in CCC, it doesn't apply on the first try. So, It may take a click or two. ..I usually open the performance tab, make sure there's 0% load on the GPU before you click it. It'll hang, otherwise.

EDIT: Just to clarify, once you make two profiles, they go in the profiles folder. ..Don't edit profiles.xml in the root of ACE.

Just to get an idea, this is what a disabled/enabled profile will look like. ..For the sake of making this easier to understand. Again, don't just copy/paste this. Use the values that are for your GPU, OFC.

PP Disabled

PP Enabled

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2012