Dark Souls 3

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by vejn, Jun 7, 2015.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I noticed some stuttering during my playthrough on PC (37 hours so far!) but only when running at speed and then it occurs only when the game saves so it is not too jarring. Apart from some sub-60 fps framerate dips in a few of the fog-heavy enviroments, this game has been running well and I have not had a single crash or glitch, which is really impressive IMO for a game such as this.

I still do not rate this game as highly as Bloodborne but it is punishingly addictive, creepy and atmospheric plus entertaining to explore. Graphically the game can look really nice at times but textures are often ropey and there are some ugly LOD transitions, which are more noticeable when running. Considering this game is current-gen only (as in not on Xbox 360 or PS3) then I am disappointed that the graphics do not look more impressive in terms of detail. Human character models are average-poor and there is no lip-syncing at all during dialogue scenes (I know I've mentioned this before but I find it incredibly jarring and lazy).

7.5 out of 10 so far.

2. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    I was amazed by the graphics after coming from ds1 to ds2 and then to ds3 :D The amount of detail is insane compared. And the aesthetics of the game are some of the best out there.

Will give my rating later date but might be closer to 9. Bloodborne I have still to play more then 1.5 hours wasn't as captivating.

3. MrH

MrH Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    For me Bloodborne was great but hurt massively by frame rate and frame pacing issues so I gave it an 8/10, Dark Souls III is great without the technical issues so I gave it a 9/10.

4. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
    Already mentioned and known. It sucks. Cos i died yesterday cos of it! If you take items on floor while in midst fight, you get the lag from saving icon and mostly a disadvantage. And ofc which was introduced with 1.03 first wasnt fixed with todays patch!

5. fragba1t

fragba1t Guest

GPU:
    GTX Strix 1060 6GB
    Finished the game at around 52 hours (about 10 of those were in pvp), quickest Souls game for me yet but I'll put that down to playing the other two for hundreds of hours! I'm aware I've missed a few areas and bosses, however I've already started NG+

Fantastic game and a great end to the series.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  6. MrH

MrH Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    The game is super fun in co-op with a friend, I started a new character and played with my friend for awhile and you're just constantly getting invaded and invaders honestly have no chance so we just destroyed them all. Did the first 3 bosses as well.

7. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
    But bosses are super easy with some1 summoned.

8. maxx126

maxx126 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 980 Ti Gaming GE 6GB
    Summoning is not mandatory so I can't see a problem. It is nice to have the option of getting help even when offline if you are stuck with a boss. Only boss I used help so far is Abyss Watchers. Second stage was pretty much impossible solo for my character.

9. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    i think i ruined my character so bad . which iam progressed good but it seems coop players iam gaming r doing far better than me. i die, i cant put out damage good. this pyromancer isnt good enough. i iwll start a new game. KNIGHT this time.

And That reshade; it wont BAN me yes? i mean tweaking with game visuals.

is this a good Game guide ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUxfw_QKo7E

i mean what he says legit? Long sword +10 is so good.

10. scaredchimp

scaredchimp Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX970 SLI
    What do you guys think of the story?, I've been looking to get into the soul's games for a while, i'll like the look of punishing games mechanics but for me, to push me forward, i like a good story and not just an A-B kills monsters for no reason.

Like a purpose to play so to speak.

11. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I played the game last night post-v1.03.1 update and it felt much smoother with no obvious stuttering at least in the Firelink Shrine areas where I was running around between NPCs. Did briefly revisit the opening area too and that also felt smoother. Likely it is just placebo though.

12. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    To be honest, the story is Dark Souls is rather cryptic and vague at best such that by the end of the game I am none the wiser as to what really happened. There is a story there if you dig deep enough; speak to every NPC you meet (sometimes several times) and read every bit of text for every item, weapon, etc, you find but story-telling, IMHO, is really not this game's stength. In fact, it is quite poor with NPCs that have no facial animations or personality to speak of. It is quite different from conventional RPGs where you spend 50+ hours learning tons of information about the world you are in and the people you meet. Dark Soulds requires you to do a lot of work if you want to get anything out of its (IMO) threadbare story.

13. Lurk

Lurk Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4080 VertoOC
    The game will force its purpose into you, using the same contraption that makes slot machines so hard to get away from once you start pulling the lever.
    Try, fail, try, fail, retry, refail and so on, encouraged to continue thanks to the random win you scored a hundred tries before.
    It stimulates the same area of the brain which makes you feel instantly satisfied and rewarded; in other words, the same mechanism that drugs work on (medical research, not my finding).

The story is only a hint, but you are not going to give much anyway, because the incredible atmosphere coupled with the aforementioned addictive mechanism is going to make you forget about anything in life that was important to you.

If you are good you are going to have the blast of your life and remember it forever.
    If you suck at reflexes, like myself, you are going to become human garbage.

I was fortunate enough to look in the mirror, where I was able to see the pale shadow of my former self I had become.

I uninstalled Dark Souls 1 long before finishing it and regained my sanity over a couple of days.
    Still thinking about it 4 or 5 times in a 24 hour cycle, but at least I'm regaining weight and skin tone, and sunlight doesn't frighten me that much anymore.

Maybe one day I'll be Prepared to Die again. For the time being I'm back to reality.

Should you ever take the plunge, you've been warned :infinity:

p.s any devote DS player denying this is either a liar or has lost himself. Forever :D

14. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Hm, two Gurus that think DS1 is good. Ok, since I have it I can at least try it.

Progressed a little bit more in LotF now which is nice. The game is still hard but not impossible. The guy moves like a slug though which isn't that fun plus the controls are a bit odd.

15. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb (600 core)
    I have just installed ds1 to complete, I feel I can't play ds3 without completing the first two.

16. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    you can easily skip ds2 though the DLC was kinda cool (but short)

17. Thelmet

Thelmet Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    I found that I can play without crashing when I use the 347.88 driver. Unfortunately my computer automatically updates my driver to like 358.91 anytime I go afk for 5 minutes. Beyond enraging.

18. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Apparently there is an ultrawidescreen fix that has been confirmed working.. can be seen on Youtube.. too lazy to look up the link atm.

19. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Upgrading

This one?

20. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Damn that looks sweet!