Dark Souls 1 Remastered

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Jan 11, 2018.

1. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Yeh good points admittedly.

PTDE will remain in your library though if already bought so you can choose which version to play.

Personally I'm glad PC got the Remaster and console players can now experience HD+ 60 fps Dark Souls too for the first time.

And, given it's still the same engine essentially, I'm pretty sure modders will find their way to DS:R too.

2. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
  3. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
  4. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    It is the reason why i will play the PS4 version and not PC version at release. Previous games were exactly like this. Getting banned for several weeks is not fun at all. I got banned twice last time.

5. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Well that's just absolute horseshit.

Second-guessing my PC purchase. Wasn't an issue in any previous DS games but then again I bought all of them way after launch.

I PvP only when invaded (and you can control that to an extent) but having this happen would be so nasty.
    Especially as, unless rules have changed, getting softbanned means your Steam account is softbanned, not just one particular save / character.

EDIT: yep, Steam reviews are stating it too, example:

[​IMG]
    Charming Jack
    210 products in account
    5 reviews
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Not Recommended
    2.1 hrs on record
    POSTED: 24 MAY
    Game dropped three hours ago and hackers are already raining hell down on legit players and streaming it on Youtube. Stay away.

Last edited: May 24, 2018
  6. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    This is absolutely terrible. Isn't the Online feature on by default too? So a lot of people will get banned not knowing why. If I ever would pick this up, I'd play Offline for sure.

7. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Online is on but you can be invaded only in human form (similar to ember in DS3).

But you can summon help in human form only as well (also like in DS3).

8. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
  9. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    you can use backups, however that does not guarantee you wont be soft banned .

10. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    ^ yeah that's what I was thinking, bans are account related.

Well, bought it anyway… we'll see what happens.

I seriously think that Steam versions of Souls games should force players to use their Steam user tag as player name.
    Or at least have that visible to others in coop / PvP.
    That way you can at least link / track a cheater to his/her actual Steam account and report it.

Also one such offence -> permanent IP ban (from game's servers, after cheating has been confirmed).

Last edited: May 24, 2018

11. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    To add something positive: return to Lordran was a smooth and enjoyable experience!

Obviously resolution boost and 60 fps work wonders. Frame pacing is better than with DSFix but you'd suppose as this is now native 60 fps.

QoL improvements are welcome and useful.

Lots of previews stated graphical changes are subtle but to me they are substantial and in line with this being a remaster rather than a remake.

What I've observed (versus PTDE and DSFix):
    • texture resolution massively improved (better or on par with texture packs for DSFix)
    • texture quality improved (normal / bump maps)
    • considerably better light-material interaction, reflections and more realistic lighting in general (simple GI or PBR even?)
    • volumetric light around bonfires (at least)
    • massively improved particle and alpha effects
    • ambient occlusion (looks like HBAO or similar)
    • improved depth of field
    • bloom
    • antialiasing including temporal AA
    • (improved) motion blur
    All in all bringing DS to more state-of-the-art level.

If you ask me worth the price with PTDE discount.

(Played online but avoided human form on purpose).

Last edited: May 25, 2018
    Whiplashwang likes this.
  12. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Fine, I'll buy it, sheesh

;)

AsiJu and Whiplashwang like this.
  13. Duke Nil

Duke Nil Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    anyone know if there's native 21:9 resolution support?

14. Lurk

Lurk Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4080 VertoOC
  15. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    I can confirm it works perfectly on 3440x1440. Only thing is that you need to run Borderless-Windowed mode.

Also anyone managed to remove FPS cap?

16. Duke Nil

Duke Nil Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
  17. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Slowdowns makes the game run at a lower speed from what I've read, I don't think anyone has managed to uncap the 60 FPS limit but if that's so then at 120 FPS it would be double speed so it might not be entirely optimal to just remove the framerate limit if it's set up in this manner where it affects overall game speed and possibly other mechanics too.

18. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Removing the cap would need something similar to DSFix (in memory modification of the game code).

Souls games are hard capped as the physics engine / collision detection is framerate based.

19. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    What an annoying game! I must say that after having finished DS3 three times I'd definitely choose DS3 over this one. Not only is DS3 easier and fairer, it has quite a few nice mechanics that I prefer over this game. For example descending ladders quickly, fast travel between bonfires, no "x-flask-per-bonfire" system, faster movement/rolls (and I thought DS3 was slow after having played Bloodborne) and a few more things. Bosses are not difficult but really annoying, like the Bell Gargoyle. One at a time, they're really easy but two is just a lazy way of making a boss more difficult, especially when the second one breathes fire over half the roof. And why does one do so little damage to skeletons vice versa some undead a few meters in another direction? The UI is also clumsy especially when comparing weapons and other things like that. But...it's of course addictive so I guess I'll keep playing :)

The good thing is the excellent performance. I got 4K/60fps without a single frame skip or anything like that and the game looks great for it's age.

20. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    If you can reach it the zone for the DLC is quite something although yeah the choosen undead in the first game is more methodical and the game expects you to take it slow and maybe fail once or twice, learn and then know and some areas can pull all sorts of traps or other tricks which can be tough the first time through.

Bell Gargoyles is at least fairer than the swarm of weaker but more numerous gargoyles from the second game where even a tougher player can be brought down just due to there being more of these though the game also suffers from a problematic hitbox detection whereas the animations in the original Dark Souls are more fine tuned and very precise.
    http://orig12.deviantart.net/2c4e/f/2014/094/4/f/reremake_by_aloo81-d7d2zxq.gif

Third game corrects most of this though players also have to contend with being slower while opponents can often be a bit faster but it's manageable. :)

EDIT: In general once past the halfway point or around there the game can feel like it's losing a bit of the original coherent design and it feels a little bit rushed or unfinished, I think the original plan for some of the last few areas were more expansive originally but overall it's not bad.
    (But there's still some nice areas to discover.)

Last edited: May 27, 2018