1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Damaged socket 1156 and Processor due to extreme Overclocking!!

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Kohlendioxidus, Oct 15, 2009.

1. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    Holy cow, they're everywhere. I just browsed through a few dozen pics of p55 mobos by a bunch of manufacturers and when I zoom in the dreaded Foxconn logo invariably pops up. They must have covered all but a fraction of the market. Crap! There goes my plan for a reasonably priced upgrade.

2. blownapart

blownapart Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850 900/1200
    Bah, I said Fck it and went to 4ghz, no turbo, HT on. Runs like a dream. I'm gonna beat this Foxconn socket like it owes me money. I upgrade every 2 years anyway. CPU core @ 1.34275. Temps at torture are about 78c max; Idle 34c. I should be good to go. The F4r beta bios for the UDP4 is sweet-cookies so far. Still need to pin down the best voltages. I believe I have room to maneuver.

QPI-1.33
    CPU-1.34375
    PCH-1.12
    PLL-1.98

190x21 no turbo
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  3. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    Nice :) If it does go at least you have the perfect name :p I'm on day 5 of running this at 4Ghz, no problems to report.

4. blownapart

blownapart Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850 900/1200
    You know, my gut instinct tells me this box will be fine. I think it was probably a few earlier iterations of that socket that were fail. Foxconn did a redesign after some initial testings with Intel (before the boards went into the wild). The problem is the socket looks essentially the same, but are supposedly fixed. I'm gambling on that fact. Perhaps the reviewers got this earlier version. If it were systemic we'd all know about it by now unless it's a slow burn. If she blows, I hope its beautiful. I'm not looking for 5ghz+ anyway.

This is what my CPU says: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZIWNjWIggc

5. cozee

cozee Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 260GTX x2Freezer
    would a HSF that uses a bracket not help by sandwiching the plates together a little harder making the cpu push down harder on the socket?

6. blownapart

blownapart Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850 900/1200
    I don't know honestly, that theory has been thrown out on Anand's board, nothing corroborated. Foxxcon said recently there was a bad early batch and it has been corrected. No numbers given on how many were fuxored but I hope mine isn't one. If the board goes t1ts up so be it but I'd hate to lose the proc as well.

Currently lowered the voltages all around and running stable at 3.88Ghz, HT on, Turbo off. Temps dropped about 8c on core. Good enough for now...