Damaged socket 1156 and Processor due to extreme Overclocking!!

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Kohlendioxidus, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
    Lady's & Gent's,

I just found this article here: http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3661 and I'm speachless:infinity:.

Did anybody experienced or checked something like this during overclocking?? Looks a little bit strange to me this:3eyes:.

Why they didn't make that socket pins more reliable, It looks that Foxxcon, EVGA and ASUS mainboards with Tyco AMP socket design (using a LOTES backplate) are affected.

2. SnooSnoo

SnooSnoo Maha Guru

GPU:
    Intel HD510
    You got things a little mixed up tho. It says that boards using foxxcon sockets seem to be affected and the Tyco and lotest sockets are not... :)

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  3. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
    yup but anywayz, the problem remains!!

Maybe u see no difference in performance after "burn out" u have only smelled something burnind but if still everithing is tip top you give no attention.

Before 1 upgrade .. bang, the socket is kruspy:biggun:

4. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Problem if your using dice or ln2 so basically its not a problem.

5. ice_chiney

ice_chiney Master Guru

GPU:
    Dual 690s
    WOW! that sucks!!

6. smashly

smashly Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 560ti / GTX 670
    It is a problem regardless of OC, No OC, air, ln2 or ice..
    If pins are not making contact then problems will arise at some point!
    Your CPU has the amount of pads for a reason.. efficient power distribution to your cpu.
    Sure a couple of pins don't make contact and your pc still posts and works.
    But intermittent errors will arrise over time if not straight away.
    It doesn't take an electrical genius to figure this out.
    It's a problem that if it's not quashed quickly then it'll make end users turn from intel current offering quicker then rats from a sinking ship.

7. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    I don't know if those are pictures of Win or Fail. Win for overclock and brutality, but Fail for hardware design perhaps. Either way it is Ouch.

Edit: Might make a good ad for Crysis though.

8. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
    I think that socket manufacturer shall improve the QC on this. It is pretty stupid to put such a good system together and after a few time to have this issue, it sucks to the bone:biggun:.

9. TyrantofJustice

TyrantofJustice Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 super
    Well after looking at my board I have a LOTES sockett so I really hope this is limited to Foxconn sockets only.

10. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    We'll see. I'm sure I'm on the foxconn socket. Early adopter here so whenever it dies I'll let you all know.

11. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro Staff Member

GPU:
    -
    It might be an idea to take your CPU out and see if it has pin indentations on the lands.

12. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
    I wonder if similar issues were reported for 775 sockets:3eyes:cause the contact profile between CPU pins and socket looks the same to me.

13. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro Staff Member

GPU:
    -
    Impossible to tell from the photos really, I imagine it could be caused by the plastic steps that the CPU sits on being out of tolerance by a fraction of a millimetre, that's all it would take.

14. TyrantofJustice

GPU:
    RTX 2080 super
    I was an early adopter as well.
    I believe I got mine the first week they came out.
    Got mine from MWAVE.com and got a LOTES sockett.
    Someone else on a forum got the same board from them in the same week and got a Foxconn socket.

15. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    So EVGA isn't immune to the problem unlike how it's been reported?

16. TyrantofJustice

GPU:
    RTX 2080 super
    No evga said in its forums that the only board guaranteed to not have a foxconn socket is the FTW 200 or something like that.
    Some ppl that bought the LE also have LOTES sockets.

17. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I suppose if someone has the chance to take a peek before buying, they should look out for this

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  18. blownapart

blownapart Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850 900/1200
    Got a Foxconn myself. This really p1sses me off....for now. Time will tell whether this is systemic or only for some people that got a bad batch from the factory. One mold could be borked thus causing failures on certain Foxconn sockets and not others. Raju mentioned he had a Gigabyte board that did not fry under their extreme testing and GB is using only Foxconn atm. Sometimes being an early adapter blows. \shrug

I'm debating ditching this board but man, that sucks. I haven't taken my chip out yet to inspect as people can't even agree on what type of markings should and should not be visible on the pads. This is almost as lame as the exploding cap epidemic around 2002-3. Intel uses all foxconn on their boards, and we all no how anal they are about stability and no OC on their branded stuff. Probably should have sprung for the 920. Oh well. Dialing my OC down to 3.4 for now.

I will have my eye on this. I'm surprised this issue hasn't made more noise on the intertubes.

This really bothers me if substantiated:
    http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/showthread.php?t=2540820

Here's were it all started:
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=234723

19. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    My initial reaction was the same, drop the oc. FK that though, I went the other way and shot this cpu to 4Ghz. No probs so far. I'm definately not taking the heatsink and cpu out when I'm getting good temps and all's working.

20. blownapart

blownapart Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850 900/1200
    ^^I hear ya, nice attitude. But I really am not noticing to much performance decrease with games & apps I've been mucking about with lately. I hope it's much ado about nothing (the pessimist in me says 'wrong'). Maybe a small percentage of sockets affected. I wouldn't use these sockets if you're into extreme 4ghz+ OC until they come out with a revision or you get a LOTES or Tyco AMP that's clear.

If the Foxconn socket doesn't fail at stock Intel specs they're not gonna do sh1t about it for the users that have them already. Funny how the industry marketing pushes all this "ZOMG super OC push-button, 367 phase power, 87 layer pcb, ultra turbo diesel durable!!!!!" with the caveat that one 10 dollar(just a guess) component may toast your proc. Ah well, we all know the risks adopting early.