Damaged 6800 Ultra?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by rendez2k, Oct 19, 2005.

1. rendez2k

rendez2k Member

GPU:
    BFG GeForce 9800 GX2
    My 1yr old PoV 6800 Ultra has started acting a little strange in recent weeks by displaying random 'sparkles' and the odd bit of corruption here and there. The card is not and never has been overclocked and nothing much has changed on the system. The issues also start from when the PC is cold. Somedays, I don't even notice them that much! Is the card on its way out already? Is it worth under-clocking the card? I also thought about checking the power connectors going to the card. All help appreciated!

Edit: Extra bit of info... using the 77.77 drivers, fast writes enabled, 400mhz clock, 1.10mhz memory clock freqency.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2005
  2. dominant1

dominant1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga Gtx1070 Superclocked
    If you had bought a BFG model you would have a lifetime warranty to use to rma that card, is that card still under warranty? If so Rma it, who knows you may get a 7800 gtx replacement @ no extra charge.......just a suggestion.

3. rendez2k

rendez2k Member

GPU:
    BFG GeForce 9800 GX2
    Its a Point Of View card - I think I will contact them and see what they say.

4. Drunken Shooter

Drunken Shooter Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 super FTW
    Sound like your ram is over heating or damaged. Try to contact the company and get an RMA other wise I can walk you through removing the cooler and reapplying thearmal paste.

5. TLan

TLan Member

GPU:
    BFG 6800GT OC 256MB AGP v78.01 400/1100
    Reseat your card and power cable

Top three reasons for artifacts on a 6800.

Overheating
    Power issues
    overclocking.

Most of the time its a power issue.

If all checks out then you might have fried your video ram .

then its time to RMA it

6. akaotikpnoy

akaotikpnoy Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY VERTO 6800 ULTRA Drivers:67.03
    Today I reapplied AS5 and cleaned out the fan on my Ultra. As soon as I reinstalled it and fired up my system, I got a long beep along with messed up graphics during loading. So I re-seated the video card and reconnected the power to it and "wala," working.