D-Link DIR-655. Anyone using it and care to review it?

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by bodean, Apr 24, 2008.

1. bodean

bodean Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970
    Looking at this router to replace my netgear wgt624v3.
    Currently I have nothing that is "n" compatible but I heard that the speed is overall faster than the current product I have. Anyone using it and care to comment?

2. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I use it and it is quite good actually. I am unable to test wireless N since D-link does not have Vista x64 drivers for DWA-547 card that is in one of our computers. I am able to use wireless G network everywhere in my house with my N0kia N80 and that wasn't possible with ADSL modems crappy WLAN before. Gigabit ethernet connection works well too with it, built in firewall has pretty good options too (for blocking/allowing things etc.).

3. bodean

bodean Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970
    Where do you see the most benefit with the gigabit Ethernet connect?
    Transfering files on your lan from one system to another?

4. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I have one and it's alright. It's gigabit router capabilites are very good, and I see very nice transfer rates over my local network. I don't use wireless at all, so that's disabled for now, though. The only complaint I have is that it doesn't handle QoS with large amounts of bittorrent traffic (ie, over 1000Kb/s over many connections), which just makes it reboot itself often. As long as QoS is disabled, it handles anything you can throw at it.

5. bodean

bodean Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970
    I was thinking this would be great at handling QoS, especially the price. I guess I am wrong?

6. bodean

bodean Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970
  7. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I am from Europe so I'm already using that firmware - it came with it installed. QoS is fine as long as you don't download at very high speeds, something I do all the time.

8. Jordus

Jordus Maha Guru

GPU:
    Radeon X800 PRO / Stock
    I use it and its been great....never one random reset in 6 months going now.

Its got lots of features and is the BEST router ive found for the price.

gigabit wire and N wireless is great as well.

9. pastor_marco

pastor_marco Active Member

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
    I use this router on a 15/3 megabit fiber connection with 8 different machines connected to it with half using wireless (g mode) and the others hooked in via gigabit. I use QoS and max out my connection consistently via bittorrent and still have no lag issues and low latency via the multiple SSH connections I have to our co-lo. Not sure why the user above is having issues with his QoS but I use the latest US firmware and can say that this is easily the best router I've ever owned for a home based network (and for the price - nothing compares to it in it's class)...

There really isn't anything else out there right now that compares... I mean - that compares and WORKS ;-) The DIR-655 is a great purchase and a no-brainer for high speed home networks.

As you can tell, I'm very happy with mine (after going through several alternative routers)...

- Marco

10. wiak

wiak Member

GPU:
    RX 480 Gaming X
    i have it to
    its more stable than a rock :p
    fast upto 11 MB/s transfer over 11n
    works well with 11g and 11n clients, i use atm

2x 11g Canon IP5200R Printer + 11g Ralink RT2500 PCMCIA laptop (upto 2.8 MB/s)
    1x 11n HTPC DWA-140 Ralink RT2870 (upto 11 MB/s is my record using WPA2-AES)

gigabit on wired ports so you can copy files at over 40 MB/s on wired
    the firewall is exellent it got NAT+SPI, its routing speed is fast

i got 12/1mbit ADSL2+ and it works fine for me
    i have limited my bittorrent client to around 1050 kb/s down and around 40 kb/s up so i dont need to worry about line drop out

i learn my lesson when my brother was home hehe
    l33tcing torrents @ full bandwith = high ping, slow pagel loading on my Speedtouch router

Last edited: Sep 25, 2008

11. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    yeah... that's one thing i always found odd. Network connection speeds are getting close to surpassing the capabilities of just about any piece of hardware connected to it. don't even think hard drives can entirely keep up with the transfer speeds... although i could be wrong.

Anyway.... i too have the DIR-655... and highly recommend it to anyone and everyone. Excellent router. excellent features. wireless works quite well. The reason that it's probably faster overall than what you're currently using is probably due to the fact that the DIR-655 is a MiMo router.... in that it uses an array of antennae to broadcast and recieve data.... as well as (according to specifications) being able to redirect the signal to get around possible interference.

12. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Don't get Megabit and Megabytes mixed up in terms of Hard drive write performance.

I don't touch anything DLink any more, just far too many problems with them.
    Linksys or Netgear if I'm buying normal stuff, and Cisco all the way for more higher end stuff.

13. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    .... i'm not.... but last time i checked.... SATA2's theoretical max speed was 3Gbps, while Gigabit is (obviously) 1Gbps.

And... what kinds of problems have you had with D-Link?