Cyberpunk 2077 will only run with DirectX 12

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 3, 2020.

1. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    No Dos support, disgusting.

GSDragoon, sverek, gdallsk and 2 others like this.
  2. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 ♥ MESA 21.3
    I'm glad I cancelled my pre-order last year, as the game probably will suffer from a ton of bugs running over vkd3d unless they can make full use of Microsoft's API.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
  3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Ah, wasn't aware of that. Sad that PS doesn't, since it's using virtually the same hardware as the Xbox, or so I thought.

CPC_RedDawn likes this.
  4. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE
    The hardware is basically the same, just speeds, idle states, storage, and gpu power are different. But they are both on X86 its just that Sony or Nintendo will never use DX as its a Microsoft API. Only Microsoft's consoles have used DX with the only exception being the Dreamcast.

5. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE
    I got around 5fps more using Vulkun and so did many of the youtuber's too such as hardware unboxed and joker. DX12 for me had some nasty hard crashes also at launch, Vulkun was basically perfect for me.

But we both know that both API's in RDR2 wasn't the problem with that game it was the fact that Rockstar pushed the graphics a little too much for the time being and also the engine they are using is in need of an upgrade or abandonment. Its far too old. Still 1440p 60fps on setting well above that of the consoles is still a win.

6. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
  7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    nice joke.

don't set your graphics settings to stupid levels.

8. ThEcLiT

ThEcLiT Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 460 1gb OC
    This is a great opportunity for Microsoft and Nvidia. Money is everything.

9. nexus888

nexus888 New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 280GT 1000mb
    DX12 looks great but boy it tend to crash more often. Please make it so it doesn't crash or freeze every 10min...

10. Kool64

Kool64 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX2070S
    I will be nice to play a new game that's not on the Unreal engine for once.

GSDragoon and jbscotchman like this.

11. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    exit game.exe, execute process_next_frame.bat, run game.exe again. There.

XP-200 likes this.
  12. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Shame it's not Vulkan, as that makes Linux support much harder. But DX12 is obvious, as it's going to use DXR. Gotta have that ray tracing.

13. DZcreet

DZcreet Member

GPU:
    evga gtx980sc
    Is there DX12 for Win7 now?

14. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini

But i don't have the required 578k left to run the game once the sound card, video card, mouse and keyboard, cd rom, dvd drive, sdd, usb card, vr hmd, and bt adaptors, drivers are loaded into himem. Lol

Thank god those days are long gone, flicking through the Dos manual for help made reading War and Peace seem like light reading. Lol

15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti

16. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I been saying that long time about DX9, and it still used

but seeing it is using DXR DX12 was given. Vulcan isnt another API that can do raytracing? and when implemented correct is an amazing API the 2 recent doom game are proof of that

17. bobblunderton

bobblunderton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super 8gb
    DX12 not only includes DXR support but like Vulkan it also supports multiple cores feeding draw calls to the GPU to keep it rendering 60fps+. Otherwise, with DX11 and older, you're limited to the speed of a single core of the processor to feed everything on screen to the gpu & trying to keep that magical 60fps mark.

Notice how most DX12 open world games are so much more detailed? So much less would 'pop in' late as far as model LOD (level of detail) goes?
    That's due to DX12 adding the ability of more cores to feed those draw calls, which unlike triangles, are generally your most limiting factor after VRAM limits themselves in how to render a scene.

Hats off to any group of modelers or graphics designers & of course the 3d-artists who can make a compelling city open-world scene in anything outside of an on-rails shooter (on-rails is easy as with Half-life 2 you only could experience a set portion within the player bounds of the level scene, everything else can be facades in the background, switching to the next 'map' when needed for performance reasons). Open-world game design can be the single hardest type of design for any 3d artist. You can't always have those impassible line of mountains or huge pile of fallen sky-scraper to block the player navigation and rendering line-of-sight into separate rendering zones to keep performance up (hence why Fallout 4 performance absolutely stank in the downtown Boston area, why toggling pre-combined draw-call-reducing meshes to use a scrap mod made it 10x worse, and dx12 would have fixed it quite quickly).
    No, really, it's time to move on to DX12. Shame on anyone for even thinking of using DX11 in anything but a 2d pixel-art game today. Even my old vintage 2013 Radeon 7850 2GB card that's sitting in a box has (basic) DX12 support and still gets driver updates unless memory is incorrect.

Looks like a game I will be buying near release, if it doesn't go Epic fail route.

18. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Yeah, seems like DX9 lasted forever!

19. KIBERMAX

KIBERMAX New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6Gb
    Useless Directx 12 worst API, it would be better to add Vulkan API

20. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    used properly DX11 can keep up with 12 except for the worst possible cases.