Cyberpunk 2077 will not have Ray Tracing on AMD RX 6000 GPUs at launch

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 22, 2020.

1. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    That also means the PC version could be that next-gen version from the get go.

Fox2232 likes this.
  2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    ^ that's how I understood it. And with the next gen consoles, they will get a free update, once console next gen version is actually available. Some time ago they explicitly stated the latter, but from how I understood, PC version will be top notch from the start, except ray tracing on AMD GPUs. I guess that will come once the consoles get the upgrade... but I suspect next gen players will have to wait until the game gets ray tracing specifically as well.

3. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Not so sure about that honestly. If they had the performance tweaks and assets 100% ready, they could have released the PS5 version alongside the PC one. I bet there will be changes in the PC version once the updated console versions hit.

angelgraves13 likes this.
  4. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Nvidia's ray tracing isn't proprietary. It's DX12. Literally microsoft, like you said.

pharma likes this.

5. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Ref"
    Wouldn't there be two separate builds although I suppose the development started earlier than when the new consoles were available or ideas for what these would be capable of and then the development kits themselves.
    Sounds likely, scale it up but more than just the resolution and closer to the high/v.high possibly some ultra stuff from the PC settings though I guess how will differ from one game to the other.

Ray traced reflections sounds like a big possibility probably similar to Watch Dogs Legion and a lot of internal parameters for how it scales and performs though a high quality texture pack would be neat if ones not already available.
    Optimizations and additional effects I suppose are possible but probably tailored more for PS5 and X Series and the respective console capabilities. PC version getting there through patches maybe benefiting from D3D12_2 down the line but that might be a bit borderline since it's not coming out until sometime first half 2021 unless developers decide to do some more extensive updating of existing releases that's more for future titles to take advantage of these updated and additional features.

6. craycray

craycray Member Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    Easy on the gas pedal Padawan. Asking a question gets you to come up with so many assumptions and allegations. I owned 980Ti & 1080Ti and now 3080. And I couldn't care less who is at fault, take a deep breath.

We know that CD Project Red has always worked more closely with nVidia, and just asking a question to see if it is a 'repeated pattern' gets you this hyped up? That too around a video game. And you are proud of the last comment that you made?

Give it a rest. The hypocrisy around tunnel vision is just unreal.

7. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    Tunnel vision breeds ignorance. "Repeated" patterns go both ways unless you deliberately choose to wear blinders. Some relish living with blinders, and just like a troll if that makes you tick then relish the moment.
    Truth hurts, doesn't it. All around a video game, so easy to be a hypocrite.

8. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    hd 6870
    It may be able to run generically, but the implementations are very different, trying to run an implementation tuned for nvidia on amd or vice versa may not work very well.

pharma likes this.
  9. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    I thought that was common knowledge? The updates for the PS5 and XSEX are probably just gonna add ray-tracing support.

10. craycray

craycray Member Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    Sorry, I still don't know what you are on about.

If you wanted to discuss pattern, then discuss pattern, no need to take it personally right?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020

11. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    They basically have 4 options;

1) Release the same RT effects as PC (Nvidia) at lower quality. This is the hardest approach and I think the least likely to happen.
    2) Reduce the amount/number of RT effects (also lower quality) until they achieve agreeable performance. This approach releases the devs from trying to achieve parity with PC and allows for more flexibility.
    3) Limit to 1-2 RT effects at lower quality. The easiest approach for devs allowing them to do the "me too" thing, but, image-quality with RT on is no longer comparable to PC. However, still comparable to other console ports that have RT.

Lowering the quality of RT and using some tricks is the key to maintaining performance on consoles. If it cripples performance too much, then, go for option 4) just give it a user-toggle ala Crysis Remastered, then, it's just a curiosity feature for future upgraded PS5 and XSX.