Custom Resolutions mess with VSR!

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by b0uncyfr0, Jul 16, 2015.

1. b0uncyfr0

b0uncyfr0 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gaming XXX 1070
    :3eyes::3eyes::3eyes::3eyes:

Yep, exactly what i thought before i made this thread, but after a few hours of playing here and there I've managed to find something rather bothersome. To sum it up: Creating any custom resolution via CRU or editing the DALNonStandardModesBCD1 value in regedit : makes all resolutions above your native resolution loose color fidelity.

Ive repeated this test on Window 10 and Windows 7, both producing the same results.

So when i say color fidelity, i mean colors aren't as sharp, aka Bland or Dull. I use a VA panel which is exceptional when it comes to producing Black levels. That was one of the factors that made me notice the difference in colors and trying to figure out what happened.

At first i thought that the Pixel Format was changing but that doesn't seem to be the case. It never changed.

Ideally i'd like anyone who can (Guru's step Up) or is willing to test this, try it out and report back. Its very simple:

Please ensure VSR is enabled naturally. Also I must stress that VSR only works in Full-screen mode, something i didn't know until a while ago.

1) Install CRU.
    2) Run it with Admin Rights and add any custom resolution you like, say 1620p(2880x1620) or 1260p (2240x1260).

Don't forget depending on the driver you're using and which card you have: you cant go over a certain limit. E.g 290/290x limited to 3200x1200 on 15.7. 280x limited to 2560x1440 normally.

3) Reboot!
    4) Start your game and play in your native resolution for a bit (Say 5 minutes).
    5) Pay extra attention to color detail, how dark the black's are, how much contrast there is and how much they pop.
    6) Change game to your custom resolution and check the colors now.

They should be much duller and not as detailed. Any one with keen eyes should spot the difference straight away.

This weird color messing bug (feature?) happened to me on all modded drivers by Asder, but back then i thought i was doing something wrong. Its also happening to me now on 15.7.

Now IF you did notice a difference, and you were running VSR originally : So on a 290x if you had up to 3200x1200, play the game in a resolution that VSR created for you automatically, e.g 1440p(2560x1440) or 3200x1200.

You should notice that these colors are now also messed up too : aka Bland, Dull and not as nice as your native resolution.

Please report back what you find, thanks!

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  2. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Run restart64.exe, don't reboot.

3. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Well....you do understand that your monitor never displays any resolution higher than its native res, right? When using VSR resolutions, the resolutions higher than your monitor's native are rendered internally (you cannot see them, of course) and according to a driver-based algorithm are downsampled (the accurate word for this process is supersampling) and then displayed at your monitor's native res. If, when displaying certain custom resolutions, the result seems "muddy" or blurred then perhaps the algorithm isn't optimal at the custom resolutions you create, and you should stick to the maximums allowed by the VSR settings for your gpu/monitor. I think perhaps the custom resolutions are best used with custom screens/monitors, though. If at your monitor's native res everything looks fine to you then most certainly something's happening in the supersampling process--if this happens only with certain VSR resolutions & not others, then you'd know for sure that this is the case. I think it stands to reason that all VSR resolutions will not downsample to native res with the same precision of color fidelity--I doubt the drivers are setup to do that....certain VSR's are just going to be more amenable to the process than other resolutions, imo. Or so I would guess...;)

Edit: I'm really puzzled by this VSR problem--I mean the one in which people like me can't even get the option to show up in the CCC, let alone decide whether or not it works! It's hard to believe no one's been able to crack this thing yet...! Very odd, indeed. Would have thought it would have been handled by now, by someone. All I can figure is that the process must be far more complicated than I had thought...!...;) But it's just odd that the VSR checkbox doesn't even show up in my CCC...! Why not? Interesting question...

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  4. heroxoot

heroxoot Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC2
    Are you changing your windows res? You leave that native and increase resolution in game.

5. slick3

slick3 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    You're right!

I use CRU just for CS, i added a custom resolution with a custom refresh rate (higher than it should be) and yes the colour is dull as fk when running at it. I have to turn digital vibrance all the way up to make it look reasonable.

I personally thought it was because of the refresh rate OC, not the custom resolution in general. I don't really mind it, but if it colours could be ran normal, it would be better! :D

6. b0uncyfr0

b0uncyfr0 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gaming XXX 1070
    I agree that if custom resolutions outside the norm aren't working then its best to stick with core defined values. But I'd like to know why editing anything breaks everything. Perhaps it's a bug in CRU worth looking at?? I'm sure there are many who would prefer to use custom resolutions in between official vsr standard resolutions.

Also of course I've been running these tests in-game.

When it comes to refresh rate though, every monitor is different. I used a native 60 and still colours were affected. I know if I force 75, the colours are ****e because the monitor doesn't like to be overclocked at all.

7. haz_mat

haz_mat Guest

GPU:
    1070 FE
  8. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    @b0uncyfr0: Take screenshots, i could not replicate this issue, and I have been using custom resolutions a lot even before VSR came around.

9. b0uncyfr0

b0uncyfr0 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gaming XXX 1070
    Another problem i run into. If i take a photo of witcher 3 in 1080p and 1440p, the .png's look identical but i can see the difference plainly in the menu and when playing. The blacks just disappear on anything above 1080p.

What in the h*ll is going on here??

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
  10. MatrixNetrunner

MatrixNetrunner Guest

GPU:
    Powercolor PCS+ R9 270X
    [ComedianMode=on]

Don't you know that The Withcher universe is based on Slavic mythology and Central European medieval times. There were almost no people with darker skin in Poland at the time. Also, that term might be offensive to some people.

[ComedianMode=off]

Sorry, but that was too tempting to pass up.

Now to get serious. Do you use software settings in Catalyst to adjust color parameters? Perhaps those parameters are not being applied in VSR, or they have reverted to default in case of VSR? Try setting the desired VSR resolution in desktop temporarily, and then adjust colors for the Digital Panel in Catalyst Control.

I have calibrated my monitor (as well as you can a TN panel) so my only extra settings in Catalyst are a bit of color vibrance, and the video settings. I tried VSR (1920x1080=>2560x1440) in Tomb Raider and Space Marine, and there were no differences in color for me.

11. b0uncyfr0

b0uncyfr0 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gaming XXX 1070
    Nope, Colour has been cailbrated and is loaded via an .ICC on startup.

I will set the desktop to the desired resolution and test again.

12. MatrixNetrunner

MatrixNetrunner Guest

GPU:
    Powercolor PCS+ R9 270X
    I was referring to calibration using monitor OSD settings only. When you set up the monitor properly, you don't really need to use Windows calibration.

Try using this calibration guide: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/. You will need to reset everything (monitor and driver image settings) before you begin.

PS. The fact that you can't capture the effect on screenshots to me suggests a problem with color profiles (those affect only the perception of image, not the image itself)

13. b0uncyfr0

b0uncyfr0 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gaming XXX 1070
    Huh,monitor settings will never get you close to desired color levels. Perhaps if you have a magic monitor .ICC's put you really close or at your desired level AFTER calibration with a color calibrator(which ive used).

Using the Windows calibration is one of the most basic tools. I bought an actual calibrator and the .ICC is loaded by specific software.

Im going to re-install everything and start from scratch. First ill :

1) Add resolutions via the registry mode, than check the colours.
    2) Add them from CRU and check again.

Something has to be messing with VSR. Also should i enable GPU upscaling?

14. MatrixNetrunner

MatrixNetrunner Guest

GPU:
    Powercolor PCS+ R9 270X
    You are absolutely correct that monitor set-up using just OSD settings might not be enough, but it will get you most of the way there. We don't really need 100% matching RGB color space to play games.

I'll try to see if I can replicate your observations. Can you try to document the effect using a camera?

GPU upscaling should not make any difference for VSR, since you are already doing GPU downscaling.

15. b0uncyfr0

b0uncyfr0 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gaming XXX 1070
    Ok i found the culprit: Its CRU.

I dont know why but if i setup custom resolutions in CRU, everything is dull whilst if i add the same resolutions via the regedit method: they retain the blackness and contrast of 1080p.

I made sure to run reset-all.exe with CRU. I might've forgotten to use this before thus the resolutions were still being affected even after i edited DALNonStandardModesBCD1.

Also if i use CRU : all resolutions above native are dull and affected by this weird phenomenon. Uploading pictures in a bit.

Im surprised noone has been able to replicate this with CRU though...It cant be just me getting this.

Native(1080p): [​IMG]

CRU 2240x1260: [​IMG]

Notice how the VSR picture has less black and contrast.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015