custom loop,afraid to install it

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Trolle, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Trolle

Trolle Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX3070
    hi
    si i upgraded my pc 2 months ago and with that i bought a custom loop kit(EK l360)
    i had a few problems with it(bent fins on the rad(my fault) and i bought another reservoir)
    so now i am constantly ready to install it all but right when i am about to begin i chicken out and i dont even try :p

i am afraid that i will get a leak and screw up some of my hardware(wich i currently dont have money for to replace)

so here i am stuck with a full uninstalled wc loop :)

2. Mraz

Mraz Master Guru

GPU:
    /
    Use towels when installing, unplug all the power out from the PC itself.

Make sure you ground yourself somewhere before getting in touch with components.

Take a deep breath and GO...

3. Lain

Lain Guest

GPU:
    HD5970 @ 950/1200MHz
    Indeed, make sure you unplug all the hardware, short the PSU to start it (check google for the wires you need to short, or buy a shorted plug). As long as the hardware isn't powered water will not damage it.

Before you start: Yes, you're going to get a leak somewhere, so make sure you've got towels ready and within reach (because you'll be using your other hand to stop the flow of water) ;)

4. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    As long as no power is going to the computer and a little water gets on it don't worry dry it off and let it sit for a few hours to air dry before putting power back to it water will only damage it if it is powered on.

5. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    most water cooling kits come with a shorter to start the PSU up on its own. Something like this

[​IMG]

6. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    ^That looks handy, I just used a paper clip.

7. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    I dont use anything as i go straight into bios, fill my reservoir with manual connect/disconnection of the pump refill res- repeat etc.. The good old fashioned way never fails:)

@OP...

Once all your tubing is all connected just have some towels under the barb/compression fittings and waterblocks. Once the loop is full and its not leaking i would just leave for 30 mins. If you dont get a leak within this time from any of the fittings then you aint gonna get one unless you loosen fittings.

You do not need to watertest for 12-24 hrs or more like some people do. Some people on ocuk i heard were testing for 3 days. Massive LoL and a waste of time. Water is one of the softest substances known to man yet it can penetrate anything, you will soon know if you have a leak within seconds nvm hours.

If you just tighten everyting up and check it after the chance of you getting a leak are very small and even if you do it wil probably just be a waterdrop coming from 1 of the fittings. Just tighten it abit more and Job done. Also remember to run your pump at full speed when filling the loop out as weak links in the chain will be revealed because of the increased water flow and head pressure.

Some of the compression fittings can be tough to screw on with your fingers only even though there supposed to sometimes they dont. So you may need to use so Pliers or Mole grips or something similar but you also may not have too.

I had to use mole grips and a towel with mine to get the compression fittings on tight. I used a towel so the compression fittings were not marked are dented from the mole grips.

Oh yeah never run your pump without water as it can permanently damage the motor.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  8. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    This sums it up real nice.

9. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I warmed my tubing with a hair drier then put it on the compression fittings that worked great for me.

10. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Heating up the hose works wonders. I know people who buy smaller ID hoses than their fittings just for that super tight seal.

11. Trolle

Trolle Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX3070
    ok thanks for the tips guys
    i also had such a psu starter with my kit :)

thanks all