1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Custom computer builder....Terrible experinece.

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by JEFFRO503, Jul 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wasteomind

wasteomind Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 ti
    Unless you need any of this stuff:

Backup and Restore Center[37]
    Dynamic Disks[43]
    Encrypting File System
    Location Aware Printing
    Presentation Mode
    Group Policy[44]
    Offline Files and Folder redirection[44]
    Windows Server domain joining
    Windows XP Mode[45]
    Software Restriction Policies

Or run 2 physical cpus, or need support for 192gb of ram instead of 16gb then Home Premium might be the better buy for you.

Aside from that stuff, the major difference is the support time frames

End of Support for home premium is dated January 13, 2015; 3 years' time
    End of Support for professional is dated January 14, 2020; 8 years' time

That is all subject to change though, just like it did with XP, and judging from what we have seen of Windows 8, it might happen.

Anyways home premium comes in 64 bit and would save you 35 bucks if you don't need any of the stuff above. I use home premium and haven't had a single issue, and I primarily use this pc for gaming and web browsing. Occasionally some video recording and editing, or photo editing. Though I didn't need any of the stuff above you might. Just throwing it out there.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  2. MoosePower

MoosePower Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Main reason I don't want home edition is the 16gb ram cap. My next build I'm planning 32 or 64.

3. wasteomind

wasteomind Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 ti
    Pardon my asking, but what do you do that needs that much ram?

4. MoosePower

MoosePower Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    I like to tinker around on virtual machines. I'm very limited with the 4gb ram i currently have. :/

5. JEFFRO503

JEFFRO503 Master Guru

GPU:
    none
    Holy crap Moose! I thought I had quite a bit coming from 2GB to 6GB. BTW....check your PM real quick.

6. MoosePower

MoosePower Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Haha yeah.. I love overkill. While working at the tech shop my buddy and I created a newegg shopping cart wishlist. The computer was based on the intel server motherboard platform. Two i7 processors and 64gb ram. Maybe someday i can afford it. Lol, i think it was around $3-4k.

7. davetheshrew

davetheshrew Ancient Guru

GPU:
    some green some red
    hey jeff I figures something out, ya know why he says 1366 is better and how you ended up with crappy cards? easy, he sold you his hardware and more than likely bought himself a sandy bridge rig with your money, I say you get him on here to explain himself, Im a mm close to PM'ing that douchbag myself, I know him now Ive been watching his posts.

P.s I dont think your windows is legit, its very easy to 'verify' windows without having a key, hence why you got no disc and also explains why he throws a fit whenever you talk of returns etc.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  8. JEFFRO503

JEFFRO503 Master Guru

GPU:
    none
    Hey Dave....most everything is new, as he brought down all the boxes and so forth for the MB , VGA cards , ram , HD's ect. The only thing used in it would be the CPU ( which I bought from him )....Oh yeah , and all these used ugly , miss matched fans. Which I wanted all new ones.....just another thing he called me stupid on. On the W7 thing , I think his copy is legit , but he put his copy on my computer. No big deal , because I think I'm going to do a full re-format after I get everything put back the way I want to.

9. wasteomind

wasteomind Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 ti
    Ah that makes sense.

10. JEFFRO503

JEFFRO503 Master Guru

GPU:
    none
    Well crap guys. Some things have changed a little bit since my last post and since last night. Me and the guy who built my computer really had it out. We both said a bunch of things where we basically wanted to kill each other ( more him than me I think ).

Anyways.....the way this deal went down , it has put both of us at a stale mate. I own the water tower , my CM stacker 830 , PS and a few other things. Everything was just sitting here and I was just putting off building the thing until winter time , because I usually am so busy with my business / work , riding MX and flying my planes....that PC gaming stuff always got pushed to the back.....never enough time. In the winter , I slow down on all that stuff , so the PC stuff gets played more.

So anyways.....the guy who built this thing , called one day ( about 2 months ago , said he got a dealers account at newegg for like $8000.00. He called me , and took him a month to pursade me into into having him finish my computer off. So about 1/2 of it , is still on his credit account.

Well....when we had our fights back and forth , I get a bad part , I can't RMA anything , because he holds all the reciepts until it's paid off. He doesn't want me messing with the thing in case I screw something up , get pissed and chuck the damn thing. I don't want to have to "Re-buy" certain parts again either. So we are coming to an understanding , that he will get this thing back up and running and I will pay him off as soon as I can.....then it's game on! I really want to learn all this stuff , but on the other hand , I kind of see where he is coming from.

Bottom line is....I just want this new rig to run good , so I can play around on the damn thing. Tired of the fighting and so forth , so I just gave in. Can't wait to see what this thing will really do to be honest.

11. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Good to see that there's some sort of settlement in this ugly partnership. Hope he honours his word and your rig would be up to snuff soon.

Next time, just build the rig yourself ... would save you a lot of headache. Yes, there will be time invested but that time invested allows you to learn and understand how computer works. It also helps you troubleshoot the rig since you now know every single component of the system.

deltatux

12. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Even with 3 or so concurrent virtual machines, it doesn't max out more than 6 GB to be honest.

How many VMs do you usually run, and what OS? I personally run mainly Linux distros in my VMs and I use VirtualBox for virtualization.

deltatux

13. JEFFRO503

JEFFRO503 Master Guru

GPU:
    none
    Oh believe me Delta....you are preaching to the quire! I'll never have anyone build me a computer again. As soon as this thing is paid off , and winter comes rolling around , I have some good ideas. First , is to make the thing look really good if it performs well. then I'm going to start designing my own water tower.....which I'm really looking forward to.

I knew there was going to be problems before it even started , but I went ahead and did it anyways.....one of my worst decisions ever. It won't happen again , guaranteed!

14. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    Well, obviously that changes everything. I wouldn't pay him anything until it's working right. He's going to have to RMA the hard-drive so this bad experience of yours isn't over yet, neither is it for him due to $$$ involved. So it comes down to him wanting you to pay him back so he has to sort it out. Good luck anyway and hope it doesn't take him too long.

15. MoosePower

MoosePower Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Try 10 to 20 virtual machines. :) That's what I'm talking about. I have a multiple licenses for server 2008/2003 and many w7 pro keys. My plan was to build a virtual network and learn all about group policy and server/client networking. I was a networking student at a local community college and they give you access to free software through an msdn agreement. Such as MS Office and many MS operating systems.

Jeff I'm glad you got it sort of worked out.. I still don't think the guy building your pc is all there..

16. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    what you haven't payed half of it?

Do not give it back, after all this time and all this bs just cut your losses.

Stick it to this guy and tell him to **** off, buy whatever you need and do a proper job because unless he has things in writing he can take a hike.

That is how these people learn.

17. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I agree, give him back the exact parts he owns and call it a day.

However, make sure you deduct from any sum the amount it will cost you to fix the damage he has done, including the damaged graphics card cooler:

(Replacement: $79)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186048

Whatever the price of the water cooling was, etc.

Alternatively, you can just tell him that he has to pay for the damaged parts and he gets to keep them. If he doesn't like it, threaten to take him to a small claims court. He was contracted to build a working computer in new shape, instead you got a horribly disfigured mess.

18. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    sounds like you got shafted, should have asked on here for advice. unlucky

19. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    haha windows 8 will be out LONG before you get motherboards supporting 32/64GB ram in the mainstream.

20. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    This.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.