Custom computer builder....Terrible experinece.

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by JEFFRO503, Jul 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Yup, learned that the hard way ... still stuck with a rather crappy motherboard myself lol.

deltatux

2. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    Gutted for ya. PC's don't travel well unfortunately. I did warn you cause it happens nearly everytime I take my pc anywhere.

3. JEFFRO503

JEFFRO503 Master Guru

GPU:
    none
    Guys.....it's telling me in that program "Intel matrix storage console 8.9" , that one of my drives failed. It's saying drives 1 & 3 are working and "0" is not. Is that matrix program pretty reliable or does it have issues with reading things wrong?

4. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I've travelled with my PC before, as long as you packed it properly it tends to survive a move. I bring my rig to LAN parties sometimes.

deltatux

5. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    I've done lans aswell. No more though now we got high-speed internet. I hate moving my pc. Even missus knows not to move it when she's cleaning.

Just done a clean on monday. Sorted for another year hopefully. :p

6. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Most likely it is dead then, because these software just accesses the hard drive's SMART system which reads the HDD's health. If SMART detects problems with the drive, it will be relayed to any program capable of reading SMART statuses.

Ye, I try not to move my rig, but whenever I do, my rig tends to survive o_O. Could it be something loose in your system? I do tend to yank my backup HDD out of the system whenever I move my rig just in case it kills my backup HDD.

deltatux

7. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    Manually remove sata cable and re-insert it, also, check motherboard side. If it's all sorted, it's either failed or cable is bad. Most likely drive has failed due to travelling.

8. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    Normally is something gone loose, but, I haven't lanned in 8yrs haha.

9. Postalisback

Postalisback Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 TwinFrozr 2GB
    Well depends on what you mean by "skimp" really as technically I've skimped on PSU/motherboard twice now, first time I had issues but not had any major problems with this build (had it almost a year and a half now)

10. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Sh*t, that's terrible :puke2: Ask for your money back imo...

11. Beast

Beast Master Guru

GPU:
    -
    I never charge people for builds, hell I sometimes lose money helping them out if they go a bit over their own budget.

When I look at this.

[​IMG]

I can't help, but cringe and feel a bit enraged. For someone to take nearly a month to build a computer and hand over a pile of sh!t is beyond ridiculous.

That whole water cooling contraption..I won't go there..I see you probably want to throw it out the window as well.

12. JEFFRO503

JEFFRO503 Master Guru

GPU:
    none
    I don't blame you Beast. I'm having to type all this out on my old computer now , since the other one just went belly up. I double checked all the connections and they all look good and plugged in. I did a reboot and it won't get past the bios , and says there is no operating system. I have windows 7 ultimate.

And check this out : I called the guy , and said " Hey , I think I need to RMA one of the HD's , because it's telling me one is failed". He flipped out on me and said That the intel software is a piece of sh!t and don't believe it! HAHA! Pretty sure it's toast now. One more thing I mentioned , was that I told him " I would like to RMA this one video card that had the bad fans , so they both look the same when I re-sell them" He really flipped out , and said " You are crazy.....it's worth more now that I modified it!"

Keep in mind.....I could literally rip this guys head off and he knows it! I can't believe I've actually kept my anger in check here , but 10 years ago , the guy would of been swallowing his teeth. I'm trying to be cool about everything and just be patient. I've gone years without a good computer , so a little longer won't kill me. I have some good hardware here.....but just can't seem to get things going good. Starting to get pretty bummed about the whole thing really.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  13. JEFFRO503

JEFFRO503 Master Guru

GPU:
    none
    You know ragdoll , when I first agreed to have him build me a new system , I wanted to go i7 2600K , with a pair of GTX cards , and he just kept telling me things like I didn't know what I was talking about and so forth. He also said ( and still says ) That he thinks the 1366 socket is better. Even after I showed him tons and tons of things saying different , he swayed me into building this thing.

Whatever..........I guess it wouldn't be so bad if it would actually RUN!!! :bang::bang:

14. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
  15. JEFFRO503

JEFFRO503 Master Guru

GPU:
    none
    Thanks brute! Not sure how to get my computer to boot up to run the program. I have all three HD's in a raid 5 config. That means that windows is installed about 33% on each drive correct?

16. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Jeffro, I feel for ya m8 :( I don't know what to say, wish I could help...
    A similar thing happened to me when I was young and before I knew how to build a computer, it's a disgrace...

17. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated
    if you bother coming to Spain,i may offer my skillz

To the OP
    i work in a computer shop ,we sell computer parts, sometimes the client builds his computer,mostly i build it,and sometimes there is the nerd friend that does the job for the client.
    we let them have a working cubicle an we are giving tools,zipties all you need..even so there are some people unable to build a computer properly and the outcome is always the same...the client is enraged,some parts will end up RMAed and total disaster...
    i ended up making fotos to all my previous builds and when client isnĀ“ t sure about who will build the computer ,i show him the pics.
    it works 99%
    i could persuade them pointing to the forums ,but clients need to see a material proof,sometimes forums are puzzling at best.

18. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    I would have gone for 1 solid state drive for operating system and those 2 wd drives for backup and program installs. I don't use raid exactly due to your current problem. Great when it's working...f*d when it's not.

Seriously though, don't stress. Just means you're going to have to reinstall. I would f* raid off right now and reinstall on 1 drive just so you've got a working PC and w7 install.

Don't bother calling that t* again, he's hopeless. It's time to learn this s*, no better time than now! :D

p.s. You will see 4 drives once you get back to desktop, that's normal. Just delete the partitions on the 2nd drive and reformat.

19. nexu

nexu Maha Guru

GPU:
    HD4870 512MB (@795/1085)
    Really?! Man, that guy deserve a punch in the face; you got my blessing. Geez, what a douche bag and an all-time idiot.

Which ever forum you found this guy. People there ought to be informed about this person. This is a plain scam. He delivered not only a very poor job and needed an excess amount of time required for it. He also purposely voided the warranty of your parts.

20. Jae-So

Jae-So Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070
    JEFFRO sorry to hear bout your dilemma here man, next time see if you can get a local Guru to help you set it up, it'll be cheaper and built much better guaranteed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.