Curious question about Game Mode and HAGS in 21H2

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by BlackNova92, Nov 26, 2021.

1. BlackNova92

BlackNova92 Master Guru

GPU:
    16gb
    So i've heard the two mentioned settings either helped or caused issues for some people, like stuttering in games and all sorts of things.
    I was just wondering if you guys have noticed any downsides on newer windows 10 versions and if it actually does what it's supposed to be doing?

As always, just curious and appreciate your input :)

2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I disabled both.

Windows User likes this.
  3. garyb

garyb Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4070
    Game mode no issues, HAGS never tried.

Smough likes this.
  4. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    my system dont support hags so obviously it is off, and I disable gamemode on window10 as one first thing i do when install it. along with gamemode gamebar overlay

5. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    What Win10 build are you using. GTX 1070Ti support HAGS so as Win10 since build 2004. On two gaming PCs with 1070 we have at home HAGS is enabled and on both there is noticable uplift in 1% Low and 0.1% Low.

6. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    i might be mixing up functions it rebar my motherboard dont support? hags is there in windows but it off and i honestly have not messed with it have not saw reason too, nor have will to deal with issue that might happen. far as i can till it be never been enabled and i never turned it on.

From what i been reading it only really benifical when you cpu bound and i have no game that cpu bound. except for Swtor but i dont play that anymore. maybe one day I will enable it

7. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    Can confirm HAGS is only beneficial when you're cpu bound.
    Enabled it the other day and everything felt laggy.
    Game Mode is fine.

8. BlackNova92

BlackNova92 Master Guru

GPU:
    16gb
    so in cases like overwatch(that afaik is usually on the cpu bound side), it would make sense using it?
    i mean i'm pretty sure the difference in the end is so small, plus using things like reduce buffering and reflex etc is pretty much doing that on a more "stable or reliable" level.

What is game mode doing again anyway? just freeing resources for a certain game right?

9. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    i not really clear on that, i do now it cause stutter in games for what ever reason,why back when which why i disable it now

10. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    Where game mode is concerned, going from one side of the cpu spectrum to the next, I definitely see an improvement using it with the 5900X.
    With a 3930K, it caused stutter in some games.
    So I'm assuming, when windows says "optimises" system for play, they really mean, giving the cpu more priority.

11. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I dont use either, no need to, my system runs wonderfully.

12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I enable HAGS other day for no real reason that I Can think of I mean only PC game i played on my system over year is Hellblade and i only have 3 hours in to that in last 2 weeks, gona see if I see any really change or if i just wind up turning it off like gamemode

13. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Game mode improves my games a lot in 20H1, so I assume it works the same in 21H2. Older version of Windows 10 were a mess with game mode on, but now it actually makes things smoother. As for HAGS, it depends on the game, made RDR2 run great, but games like Control or RE2 Remake seemed to hate it (odd frametime spikes or strange stutters) so i'd keep it off for now.

14. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Apparently it "directs" your PC resources to the game so it can use all of the CPU and the GPU, my guess is that it detects it's a game when it sees a directx app being executed (vulkan too ig) on the system so it tries to boost what you see in screen a bit

15. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Difference between former WDDM GPU schedulers and HAGS is that HAGS offloads high frequency tasks to the GPU scheduling processor instead of having them buffered between CPU and GPU, this reduces latency and scheduling overhead with hardware/drivers that can take advantage of it.

16. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Game mode was on by default for me, so i just left it, HAGS does absolutely **** all, so ive got that **** off.

17. EnthusiastX

EnthusiastX Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3090
    Game Mode detects game executable files Windows OS finds in its database (GameConfigStore in registry) to prioritize CPU and GPU for those games, but that only makes a difference if you have a ton of background processes and multi-task a lot. Basically Game Mode is meant for un-optimized and unt-weaked rigs. I think it also uses telemetry to send MS info about which games you play, but I am 100% sure on that one. I suggest to not only disable it, but use MSMG Toolkit and/or NTLite to completely remove it as a Windows component.

18. iNerd

iNerd Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ti
    i dont use game mode since i feel that games run better on my pc with game mode is turned off.

What is HAGS?
    ^ I will google before i ask stupid questions :D haha!
    I have HAGS enabled from day1. And this is where i see performance increase and more stability while gaming.

kind oposite compared to some other users?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2022
  19. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    It increases performance but it can make framepacing slightly off in some games (only applies if you use vsync though).

Netherwind and iNerd like this.
  20. iNerd

iNerd Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ti
    Thanks Smough :)
    Is this the same as HA we can activate under application settings? but just on OS level or for the OS itself or if you activate it, not needed to be used on application level?