Crytek: Graphics Are 60% Of The Game

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 15, 2013.

1. mohiuddin

mohiuddin Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 4gb ll RX480 8gb
    F.E.A.R was awesome.
    Was so much scared that i was on a run, finished in 3nights (yeah played at night for 2~4 hrs, i played ,one cousin watched)
    Really loved it.
    If entertaiment is the standard, then F.E.A.R 1 >>>> Crysis 3.
    I would be happy to get F.E.A.R like game only 1 per year than 100 games like cod or crysis3

2. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Winning!!!!!!

3. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390 8GB
    Uh, yes, yes they were. They were beautiful when they came out and games like Megaman X still hold up today as far as fans of "pixel art" and 16-bit sprite art go. FF6 was garbage in terms of gameplay but the graphics, soundtrack, and threatre-like storyline made up for it.

A good game should be pleasing to the eye but gameplay is of the most importance. That doesn't mean it should look like crap though.

4. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    lol, I remember thinking International Karate on C64 was as advanced graphics as we'll ever see. Same goes for other games, regardless of the platform. It's not like we hated the graphics back then and only played games for their "better" gameplay, we thought they were state of the art graphics.

For me personally sound makes games more immersive than graphics. I can play an average looking shooter and sound will MAKE the atmosphere.

5. Krogtheclown

Krogtheclown Master Guru

GPU:
    FuryXfire 3440x14freesync
    All these games you thought where great were 1st time releases and the 1st time you see something and its different it's always better. Had they came out with great graphics you'd think they were the best ever. You are stuck in the past any game with better graphics makes the game better.

Crysis was the most stolen game in the history of PC gaming and 60% of people stealing it was for the graphics. If not for Crytek the world would still be using DX 9 and XBOX 360 and PS3 would be around forever.

You can keep your crappy looking games and have fun but if I want to spend my hard earned money on a game I wanna see that they spent money making it. You should play Minecraft you'd love them graphics.

agreed

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  6. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    absolutely not true. Jesus, even Crysis 2 launched with DX9 only.

I for one want to spend my money on a game that lasts more than 5 hours of mind numbing boredom.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  7. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    Having played games like Minecraft and Terraria, I can honestly say they're vastly more enjoyable than any of the Crysis games were as far as I'm concerned. Visuals are important to some, to others they're not. For those that like no substance and flashy visuals there's Crytek and movies by Michael Bay. For the rest of us there are thankfully titles with a focus on gameplay and/or plot. These features don't have to be mutually exclusive, but I'd rather take weaker visuals if forced to choose.

8. DSparil

DSparil Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS ROG StriX RX480, 8GB
    Krog, he was being sarcastic. You are a disgrace to true gamers lol

9. mohiuddin

mohiuddin Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 4gb ll RX480 8gb
    Anybody here, played the game 'LIMBO' ??
    A must play game. Black and white .
    Finish it and say here which was fun crysis3 or that b&w indie game.

10. Krogtheclown

Krogtheclown Master Guru

GPU:
    FuryXfire 3440x14freesync
    :) I love to get people going :banana: but really there is no good game to everyone its always personal preference. Crysis original was my favorite all time game both graphics and gameplay, wide open play, tank battles and flying a VTOL in combat never be another game that good.

11. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 GTX
    Gonna read between the lines here and think he may have been referring to development of a game.

12. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    It's 50/50 between graphics and gameplay. The game has to look and feel immersive because if it doesn't, and your first impression of a game is 'this is ugly' then u'll feel hard-pressed to continue with it. However, the same can also be said for gameplay. If the game looks fantastic but plays like a bland, un-entertaining piece of crap then that could also put u off. There has to be an even balance.

Crytek had that balance almost perfect in the first Crysis game. But Crysis 2 and 3 felt shorter than the first. More attention needs to be aimed at gameplay in their case. Graphics are great

13. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    For me, graphics is about 40% instead of 60%. Graphics is important, but story and gameplay is even more important. Graphics doesn't have to be shiny and glossy like CGI trailers but should be artistic as well if it's not "visually stunning".

deltatux

14. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    I say both good graphics and good gameplay is required for a game to be good. Battlefield 3 using the original Wolfenstein graphics just wouldn't be anywhere near as good! Likewise, the best graphics in the world won't make a game with crap gameplay great.

Unfortunately it seems most games on PC don't effectively use the processing power available to them. It's akin to a car engine, instead of making an engine more efficient to get more power (better graphics), they simply make it larger (greater displacement) to get the required power, at the expense of fuel economy (requiring a better CPU and GPU).

The Xbox Next could be both a good thing and bad thing for PC gaming graphics wise. It could be a good thing because it will make porting the games easier (and thus they can spend more time on improving graphics than the actual porting), but can be a bad thing if they simply just port the game, instead of actually improving the graphics etc.

15. elkosith

elkosith Maha Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 570
    What do you guys think about the move from 2D to 3D in some game sequels like The Sims and Roller Coaster Tycoon? Both games have similar gameplay between sequels but with better graphics.

Does the graphics improve the enjoyment?

16. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    That depends on how the 3D was handled, really. There was a trend with early transitions to 3D gaming to use 3D for the sake of it, often spewing out ugly titles with poor camera mechanics and an inability to have as much happening on screen. Compared to 2D titles of the era they aged horribly, although 2D tends to age better than 3D in general.

17. elkosith

elkosith Maha Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 570
    yea I remember street fighter 3D on arcade that was awful.

But I found the sims and roller coaster tycoon were much better in 3D

18. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Yeah Yeah Yeah now you are talking very early epic animation.
    This is one i actually forgot about from Archer Maclean ( i think) What a classic this was.

Your right the sound in that game you could almost feel the pain of the connection coming out of the screen especially the crouching punch to the stomach!

I think the sound effects for that were sampled from Bruce Lee's Enter the Dragon, The part where Bolo kills the guards of the palace for there incompetence while Bruce was out burning the midnight oil!

Im sure it was sampled from that part of the movie, another game that took samples from that part of the movie was Full Contact by Team 17 on the CBM Amiga.:)

Not so much of a big thing today but back then including samples from movies for games in the years 1986 and 1991 was pretty ****in amazing which is an understatement tbh.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  19. SLI-756

SLI-756 Banned

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    A look through my eyes at other titles and how i honestly view them :p

Crysis 3 - graphics 70% gameplay 30%

Borderlands 2 - graphics 60% gameplay 40%

Max Payne 3 - Graphics 55% gameplay 45%

Hitman Absolution - Graphics 60% gameplay 40%

Bioshock Infinite - Graphics 60% Gamplay 40%

Tomb Raider - Graphics 65% Gameplay 35%

---
    so there you have it, the most immersive is Crysis 3 followed by Tomb Raider imo.

20. mohiuddin

mohiuddin Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 4gb ll RX480 8gb
    ^borderlands2 60% gfx???
    Cartoonish dull gfx hurt eyes.

And u are making a game gfx+gameplay =100% which is totally wrong. I think in latest bioshock story around 40-50%

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013