Crysis the original and shocking FPS

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by JnS, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    The word bottleneck gets thrown about alot, perhaps too much.
    But it isn't anywhere near as common as people would like to believe, and if your GPU usage is high and you CPU usage isn't, then your fine, and last i checked, that was the case with Crysis, and Warhead.

Some game engines rely heavily on the CPU, but thats not the same thing as a bottlenecking the GPU.

2. Dual Core

Dual Core Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 2x4890 24"1080p
    I used to get between 50-70fps im sure, must install it again.

[​IMG]

3. GrandMax

GrandMax Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680 @ 1270Hz
    Read me carefully as you are the one getting confused.

Are you familiar with GPU usage and CPU usage?

When rendering frames the computer tries to draw them as fast as possible. You will get a certain FPS. This FPS will not be infinite because some component in the setup will be at max capacity. This component will run at 100%. If the game uses one core for the rendering (Crysis uses more or less two, but only one for rendering because of DX9/10), it could mean that a 6 core will overall run at about 16.6% but one of the core will be capped at/near 100%, thus limiting fps. As I said, a fps limiting factor is choking the performance as it could be higher if upgraded. As it was said, such bottleneck is sometimes not a problem as one can maintain a steady 60+ fps. Technically speaking, this component is still the bottleneck.

Many games are GPU-bound as the GPU usage will be at 100%. Getting a better CPU will not help. However, with Crossfire/SLI, the CPU limit often comes back, especially with AMD lesser per thread performance.

One of the feats of DX11 is to use multi-threading for graphic rendering. I am not talking about shadows, AI or physics here (multi-threading is already used for these), but only rendering.

The OP has a terrific gpu setup which is almost impossible to max out, but his CPU doesnt have the highest per thread performance. It might be seeing 50% overall CPU load but most likely one or two cores are limiting the FPS and the GPU usage isn`t maxed out.

By the way, I said I saw a GPU usage increase by increasing resolution and AA. I said the FPS was remaining the same. Read carefully before answering back.

Edit: By the way, the article link are fully compatible with what we said. JNS has got two 6970. Now that is some real firepower. You need 2560x1600 for these to choke.

The per thread performance of CPU has not increased that much since 2007. We have added more cores to CPU. Crysis relies on a single thread performance.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  4. Krogtheclown

Krogtheclown Master Guru

GPU:
    FuryXfire 3440x14freesync
    Ok let me just speak of experience here my other PC has 3x6950 all oc'd @6040x1080 res I had an AMD 955 @3.8 as of 2 weeks ago I ran some benchmarks on warhead (it was one of many) so I ordered a 1090T to see if it would help BC2 @ low FPS cause it would go into the low 30's sometimes.

OC'd it to 3.8 it didn't help it ran exactly the same on all benchmarks except it loaded the maps quicker (ha that was surprising) So I took the MB and CPU out of this rig which used to be a 750 i5 @ 4ghz and put it in that one but @ 3.8ghz. Before I took it out I ran some bench's on this system and yes crysis was one of them then put in my i7 950 @ 4.0ghz.

The i5 did boost my lowest FPS in BC2 by 5FPS overall scores almost the same, did not improve crysis at all! Biggest improvements Where in RTS games like RUSE and COH where I got bout 20fps increase on ave! Nice.

Now after putting the i7 in this PC I got nnnoooo increases in any games I benched including crysis and warhead. i5 is all you need for gaming. Not only that but this PC with the new MB all lanes run @ 16x. In the i5 MB they ran 16x, 8x, 8x.

5. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    You and I....we aren't having this discussion - I can see from what appears to be backpeddling on your part, that I'm just wasting my time.

And as far as the bold part of ur comment goes: "we" didn't say anything. I (and others) stated that the CPU had no impact on performance at high res and was not the cause of OP's 30fps dilemma.
    This was backed up by links provided by BlackZero, to which you disagreed and claimed that bottlenecking was the cause of OP's low 30fps..... unless I totally misread you. If I have misread u then please feel free to show me where...

No matter anyway... I'm outta here...;)

6. GrandMax

GrandMax Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680 @ 1270Hz
    :rock:

10-4