Crysis full detail intended for gt200 showcase?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Markgpl, May 27, 2008.

1. Markgpl

Markgpl Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 Mech OC
    I was thinking that gpu are designed a couple of years in advance, and since nvidia collaborated higly in crysis engine, that they were forthcoming the gt200 performance, and performance/quality should be a real showcase.
    Maybe they even got prototypes for early performance test, what do you think?, i don't think they would risk to overdo shaders so gt200 won't handle it at solid framerates

2. Sukovsky

Sukovsky Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Well, the new card has 240 shader processors, but they run at a low 600mhz, while current cards run them at much higher rates.

3. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
    wons maor wiv grama plzs.

4. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Hopefully with them being 2nd generation, the lower clock speeds wont matter as much as their raw performance,

It is widely reported that Nvidia missed their targets with their projected clock speeds on both core and shaders however.

5. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    i suspect people will be dissapointed.

many gamers today have thier expectations rather high, always wanting 100fps at 1920x1200 and 8x AA/AF
    when 45fps and 1280x1024 with 4x AA/AF is plenty adequate with todays intense physics high object detail games.

however whats more important are the games and gameplay. most pc games dont have good gameplay so what we really have is a high dollar card with great looking crappy games and all the high budget games seem to be dissapointing to many on average, judging by all the forum threads since doom 3 was released.....but thats just my opinion of course.

6. RandomUserName

RandomUserName Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY 8800GT 720/1740/950
    ^ thats pretty much the long and short of it. people running to upgrade while prices are high with really no good reason to if the current card you have works just fine. nvidia will make a killing, of course. i'm not upgrading to ANYTHING unless a game comes out i want to play i can't play reasonably well with the one i have. otherwise meh.

i don't care about the latest and greatest as long as what i have works. especially with the shortage of good pc games about. idc if i get 100fps in Stalker or 150 or 200. all the same to my eye.

7. JamieK

JamieK Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 480GTX
    For me, i play at 1920x1200 and although i ain't asking for 100fps, i just want a playable and decent fps, you know, like 50fps or something that i can enjoy the game, instead of waiting every few seconds for it to stop freezing. lol

8. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    the shaders run at 1300 MHz the core clock runs at 600.
    also i play crysis in Full detail Already...

9. bozotheclown

bozotheclown Master Guru

GPU:
    2x8800GTS512@stock
    DX10? +4xAA? +Vsync?

Or dx9? no AA, no vsync?

Just asking as running Crysys at actual full detail on a single GTS seems rather fantastic:)

10. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    DX9 With Dx10 Adjustments, (modded my own Config File)
    looks better than Dx10 Very high.

no aa, cause i dont need it.
    And no vsync....why?? becuase its vsync.....
    i dont care for forced framerates :p

i admit, thers no way i could run 4xAA or a 1080p res..
    But Higher res and AA are just bonuses :p

(keep in mind i will be getin a GTX280 :p)

Last edited: May 28, 2008

11. bozotheclown

bozotheclown Master Guru

GPU:
    2x8800GTS512@stock
    Ah, well, see, may look nice, but it's comparing apples and oranges.

Without AA, a nice performancekiller is removed. I care for vsync because I hate tearing.

Still, even more, comparing apples and oranges;)

btw, more interesting, the 8800gts you use, is that with the stock cooler? and what are the load temps on it?

I'm contemplating on replacing my 2 8800gtx adapters with 2 8800gts512 adapters to lower the powerusage just a bit and possibly lowering the in case temps a bit. Losing a few frames is something I don't mind.

12. Zareph

Zareph Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire NITRO+ RX480 4GB
    I heard that wasn't the case?
    Also, the shaders are supposed to be 50% faster than current ones, so it doesn't matter, even if it had 128 shaders it'd be much faster :)

13. Blissed

Blissed Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 8800GTS 320mb
    I had heard that too. I think that the 6 month refresh might be quite a bit faster.

14. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    How is it comparing apples to oranges??
    I Put Dx10 mode on, i get around 5 fps less (sometimes more fps in demanding areas), looks exactly the same.

Vsync Tearing Crysis??

they dont go together.....ide like to see you get frames over your refresh rate in crysis :p

15. bozotheclown

bozotheclown Master Guru

GPU:
    2x8800GTS512@stock
    It's comparing apples and oranges because whilst you might not see any difference, comparing performance of even the same, between DX10 and DX9 is comparing apples and oranges.

And yes, in Crysis tearing happens. When you quickly turn from one direction to another, tearing happens(not very much) and whilst you could argue that's not a real problem, I like it without tearing:)

As for AA, maybe in 1920x1200, AA is not needed, I don't know, but in 1280x1024, on a 17"tft, everything just looks a lot nicer with AA turned on.

Anyway, I didn't say what I said because I find anything inferiour or something like that in running Crysis in DX9. It's just different when it comes to measuring performance. That's all. So what's wrong with calling it as it is, comparing apples to oranges?:)

BTW. apples and oranges aren't inferiour to each other, are they?

16. Zareph

Zareph Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire NITRO+ RX480 4GB
    If we just had more games like Call of Duty 4 and Bioshock (shining examples). Great graphics, and great gameplay. And Call of Duty 4 has managed to offload most of the work to the GPU, so even a P4 and 7600GT can run the game without turning down the detail too much, at a very decent framerate (yeah, I've tried exactly that combo).

But face it people, the gameplay in Crysis sucks.

17. bozotheclown

bozotheclown Master Guru

GPU:
    2x8800GTS512@stock
    I played Bioshock and COD4 and I like Crysis gameplay a lot better I must say.

18. evilkiller650

evilkiller650 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 980ti AMP! Extreme
    I get about 10FPS average with 4xAA and 1920x1200.

19. Grahf

Grahf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI N580GTX Lightning
    Crysis is perfectly playable for me @ 1600x1200, max details DX10-hacked config, looks beautiful.

It's not running at a constant 60 fps and I don't claim it is, but it *is* perfectly smooth and playable.

20. georaldc

georaldc Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6970
    There are some weird things with that ultra crysis config. Lol, its like some of the values were just inputted to get you perfect quality and draw distance that let's you see to the next level.

Why is motion blur disabled? Would have been better to set it to 1 or 5 for object blur. Also, a shadow res of 2864 is kinda ridiculous. 1024 is pretty good already, and going above (2048) would just kill performance. e_view_dist_ratio_vegetation=100 doesn't seem good to me too since imo you wouldn't be able to notice vegetation popup if it were very far away from you. A value of 50 would be good enough already. GSM values are also too high (e_gsm_range=11 just lowers shadow quality for shadow draw distance. Would have been better to increase e_gsm_lods_num=5 instead and lower the previous cvar)