1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crysis DX9 vs DX10

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by tommcd64, Apr 7, 2008.

?

Crysis DX9 high settings vs DX10 medium to low settings

1. No question about it, only play with DX10

14 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. Significant difference, best when played in DX10

11 vote(s)
    12.1%
  3. Not worth the loss in fps, stick with DX9

39 vote(s)
    42.9%
  4. No difference at all, DX10 a ripoff

27 vote(s)
    29.7%
  1. Grahf

Grahf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI N580GTX Lightning
    Exactly.

There is no such thing as true DX10 for Crysis.

I have yet to see ONE single, solitary significant difference between Very High DX9 and Very High DX10 that is anything more than "subtle differences" or insistences by people who claim they see differences.

There are no differences. The "subtleties" that people see from one screenshot to the next are complete and total nonsense. They're things that could be explained by the simple fact that no two screenshots will ever be 100% the same anyway.

2. deathvirus

deathvirus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GeForce 870M 6GB
    Try r_MotionBlur=4 :p ..

Or i'll make it even simpler .. post a comparison screenie that shows any noticeable diff. between dx10 very high and dx9 very high .. isn't that simple ..

Seriously .. Crysis did prove that majority of the gamers have eye problem , and certain specific people have alienated eyes with uber power ... phew ... topic of the millenium ..

3. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Not only Crysis, but all DX10 games I failed to see any differences that werent way too vague or subtle. I could tell the differences between DX7, 8 and 9 but 10 lost me. I wonder if DX10 was just a gimmick for MS to sell Vista.

4. isidore

isidore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 FuryX 4GB HBM
    i say believe it..:)

5. dune2

dune2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Titan X Aqua
    Funny how most people who claim that they cannot see a difference own hardware which would seriously struggle to display the full Dx10 goods without reducing the gameplay to a slideshow. And before anybody hear screams that their dx10 runs very well at 1024x768, thank you very much, all I can say is that if I played at that resolution, I'd think it looked rubbish too.

:banana:

6. dmonk

dmonk Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 5450

I tend to agree, but even if what they are seeing is correct, the very fact that such a never ending debate has ensued over it probably is indirectly admitting that...its not different enough to make it a big issue.

If people really enjoy whatever subtleties they find, then all the power to them...but for the most of us...we can just enjoy the presentation for what it is-basically really good looking.

Here's a question to poonder: Why is there justification for two people argue over which screenshot looks marginally better in such fine detail, whereas if two people were comparing 35 fps vs 36 fps nobody would care?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2008
  7. meatfestival92

meatfestival92 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 9800 GTX @ 815/2078/1180
    There's an in-depth look at Crysis DX9 vs DX10 over at Hardocp.com today

Last edited: Apr 8, 2008
  8. fetabob

fetabob Active Member

GPU:
    BFG 9800GTX/8600GTS PhysX
    just upgraded from a 7950gt to a 9800gtx and now crysis can be played on XP with tweaks looking totally rocking. When I go for Vista32 SP1 (dual boot same system 174.74 drivers) I can only reach the same playing experience with everything on Medium. Both gaming in 1600x1200. I didn't bother trying to tweak in vista since it runs so much better on XP and looks the dogs nuts.

edit: used the tweak guide from here... http://www.incrysis.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=11614 just copied the guys suggested autoexec.cfg and it made a huge difference

Last edited: Apr 9, 2008
  9. Havokie

Havokie Master Guru

GPU:
    4890 Vapor-X 950/1150
    Crysis runs pretty OK on my machine at 1680x1050...all settings max, with only shadows on medium. Dx9, by the way. Performance isn't stellar, but enough to be smooth...about 30-50fps mostly, I'd say 35 average.

I dunno, I expected more....it does look nice, and some of the effects are incredible, but all in all, just looks a bit average to me really. When I first played Far Cry, I was much more impressed at the time...

10. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Actually I was not impressed with the graphics of Crysis. Only the the lush detail of the grass and foliage up close, thats it. From mid to far distances, pretty bland. Also I cant stand the aliasing. And you can forget about AA if you want playable frame rates.

I think that the setting on a tropical island is more pleasing to the eye than the graphics itself, and here like others noted FarCry was more impressive to me at the time. Also Crysis graphics and realism were inconsistent, sure the fine grass blades were done nicely but the Koreans faces looked more like cartoons than real. I think Crysis was not cutting edge at all, they started several years ago on it and seemed like they were just updating to keep up with fast moving graphics techniques and design + the great pressure to release it after all this time in development resulted in inconsistencies imo.

11. dmonk

dmonk Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 5450
  12. btgman

btgman Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 8800M GTX
    I recently moved to VISTA and sold my copy of XP professional with my old computer - otherwise I'd have a dual boot for gaming in XP.

Is it possible to run Cryisis in DX9 using Vista? And is performance better? Or does VISTA just run it more slowly regardless?

Thanks

13. Grahf

Grahf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI N580GTX Lightning
    http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/image.html?image=MTIwNjgzMDkyOUJ4dlN5OHZQODRfN18xX2wucG5n

WTF????

Call me crazy, but I do NOT see what they're talking about...
    The clouds look absolutely, 100%, flawlessly identical to me.

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/image.html?image=MTIwNjgzMDkyOUJ4dlN5OHZQODRfN18yX2wucG5n
    Uhhhhhhhhhh......the truck looks IDENTICAL in both screenshots!

:bang::bang::bang::bang:

Last edited: Apr 17, 2008
  14. Skyline350GT

Skyline350GT Member

GPU:
    8800GT@700/1700/2000 + Accelero S1
    Got the same question. I got Vista Ultimate x64 and was wondering if I can force Crysis to run in DX9. From the screenshots, I really can't the difference between the two. I rather have the extra 4-6 FPS than having it look marginally better.

15. eRa`

eRa` Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GeForce GTX 570
    Of course you can, IIRC the correct command line setting is -dx9.

16. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rx480 8GB
    To the shortcut add " -dx9"

Example: E:\Spel\Crysis\Bin64\Crysis.exe -dx9

DX10 performance is rubbish.

The biggest problem with the game is the AI. It's pretty darn bad.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2008
  17. dukedave5200

dukedave5200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    Cool... A Cyrsis dx9 vs dx10 thread...

Crysis was developed in dx9... The half assed attempt at putting in some dx10 effects was, well, half assed.

In fact, so far, all games that support some level of dx10 were programmed primarily in dx9 as this is a more common denominator and programmers/developers aren't willing to spend the time needed to fully realize what dx10 has to offer. At least not yet.

Of course, this doesn't mater to us gamers, we just want to have better looking smooth gameplay. And right now there's nothing been developed to truely show what dx10 can do -- even with the current dx10 hardware.

For me, Crysis is just a lame game anyway. No where near the enjoyment of FarCry for me regardless of how well it runs. It's just a dumb game and was hyped WAY too much. But I can certainly get a general sense that running it at very high on vista does indeed look better than the hacked very high in dx9. But some people just aren't able or willing to see a difference, or hate vista, or for whatever reason, so they have to use strong words to convince others that there is no difference, or that hacking to get very high in xp is exactly the same as very high on vista.

But to each his own.

18. masterchiefx2

masterchiefx2 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 280 Sli
    If you can play on DX10 trust me you will never go back to DX9 crysis, i used to be a complete anti-vista but i actually quite like the layout

19. PETEY

PETEY Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800GTS
    DX10 looks noticeably better than Crysis. Don't go by screenshots. It's something you have to dual boot. I'd say Crysis looks MUCH better in DX10 - but personally I find DX9 looks good enough and doesn't warrant me switching over to Vista to play.

20. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    i see the differences in certain shot comparisons, but they are subtle and spaced out depending where your at in the game.

i agree with some of the others that crysis isnt much fun. sounds are spectacular, lush jungle is the best yet ever in a game, but thats pretty much where it ends. AI seems rather limited and bland, levels are linear and the whole alien story thing is was overdone in the late 80's. pretty short and easy.
    frankly i think the whole stealth suit part ruined the gameplay making it all too easy to cloak n snipe all the time. i definitly would have enjoyed it more if health for player and koreans was more realistic.
    and what was up with the end korean boss guy with his industructable unarmored head or those armored guys with rail guns that you cant kill with rocket launchers but only with another rail gun?? thats just stupid.

since the cryhype i havnt had anything to look forward to on pc except farcry 2 and mafia 2 which may not even make it this year so thats why i got ps3 cause gta4 will put crysis to shame.