Crysis 3?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, Feb 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    ^^ Ive only played it last month so maybe some patches sorted things out :) Still yet to try Maldos mod! I will at some point, got a massive backlog now :D

2. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Well, the DX11 patch for Crysis 2 was really poorly done and caused more performance issues then it fixed.
    So it's not surprising you had problems with it. And really, the visual "payoff" for the DX11 patch was pretty pathetic IMO.

3. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Didnt notice any diff in visual tbh, just seemed to hinder performance even more, as you said.

I think rule of thumb for anyone new to C2 is to run in dx9 with Maldos mod and that way you can have real AA also.

4. MaLDo

MaLDo Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080
    What? DX11 effects are "must have" in Crysis 2 eye candy. You lose tesselation/parallax in DX9 that are incredible additions to the game quality. And both are incredibly well optimized.

5. private_joker

private_joker Member

GPU:
    dunno
    1. POM isn't DX11 effect at all.
    2. Incredibly well optimised tesselation? Not sure: http://techreport.com/review/21404/crysis-2-tessellation-too-much-of-a-good-thing/2

Supa-dupa hardcore incredible tesselated jersey barrier:
    [​IMG]
    but no tesselation on ingame personas.

6. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Interesting link. I wonder if they added these "detailed" barriers and what not deliberately to lower the performance :-/

7. Kodiak33

Kodiak33 Master Guru

GPU:
    1080ti
    I think Maldo's mod cleans some of those tesselated models up, but I can't remember.

8. Dictator93

Dictator93 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Titan X
    Yep. You have no idea what you are talkihng about. I could probably link to you and explain why that image you posted is not actually how the tesselation renders in game. But you would not care probably.

The games tesselation and rendering on average is very efficient.

9. sertopico

sertopico Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080 FTW3 GU
    Are you sure? Because in that article one of the main issues which have been shown is that tessellated objects don't lose their huge poly count even at high distances, making the game quite heavy... And what about the ocean rendered everywhere? There is no culling, and that is wrong.

10. private_joker

private_joker Member

GPU:
    dunno
    Tada! We have a fanboy? So come on, surprise us.

11. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Why don't you ask Maldo, he knows more than just about anyone, and i'm sure he disagrees with that article and the Tessellation claims.

12. Alexraptor

Alexraptor Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080, 8192MB
    Personally only moderately excited over C3.
    To me Crysis and Warhead will be the only "true" Crysis games in the franchise.
    With that I mean that Crysis 2 pretty much retconned the entire story arc, which was that our squiddy friends were originally extraterrestrials, and not highly evolved earth squids.
    Nano suits were just a new piece of advanced tech, and not some kind of wierd freakish living thing that physically became an inseperable part of your body.

And amazingly, after all these years Crysis still looks fantastic and modern with little sign of age with the right settings and tweaks.

13. private_joker

private_joker Member

GPU:
    dunno
    For what? It's well written article, if you or some person disagree with conclusion, contact with author of this article and explain your point.

14. MaLDo

MaLDo Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080
  15. private_joker

private_joker Member

GPU:
    dunno
    Well... for conclusion and bottlenecking better use some profiling tools, not screenshoter like FRAPS or MSI AB if you are vant "gain some pounds" to your opinion.
    As NVIDIA user you may NVIDIA Nsight as addition MS Visual Studio (freely available express edition isn't compatible afaik, cause isn't support VS extensions).
    So, not blame me for (not my) screenshots, yours screenshots explain nothing.
    Btw, 15% performance cost it's a big deal, not "only" as you wish.

16. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    That's true.
    Call of Juarez and Crysis both use POM in DX9. As did many, many other games.

Tessellation can be extremely impressive, when it's used right. But, the DX patch for Crysis 2 just screamed 'cheap attempt to please PC crowd' to me. The effects were a mix match jumble.
    You'd have a wall with parallax bricks right next to a wall without any effects, and a flat brick texture.
    And hell, FEAR and Condemned used better parallax mapping on bricks IMO.

Overall the effects do little to change Crysis 2's visual look. And for most, it simply caused performance and stability problems.

17. MaLDo

MaLDo Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080

Cryengine draws all tesselated polygons in wireframe mode. When you are in game mode without wireframe, engine only draws what you need to see and scale subdivisions with a pixels per polygon factor. So the screenshot is **** because tells nothing about tesselation optimizations when you are playing. Now take your own conclusions and believe those well written articles.

Same for tesselated water. I have more performance with water tesselation enabled and there are lots of tech reports talking about how bad the engine is because calculate no visible water.

18. MaLDo

MaLDo Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080

Parallax is not DX11 exclusive but it is in cryengine 3. And cryengine 3 parallax is the most optimized parallax right now for the games in the market.

19. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
  20. sertopico

sertopico Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080 FTW3 GU
    Didn't know about this. Thanks for your explanation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.