Crysis 3 #2

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by hallryu, Feb 24, 2013.

1. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    I don't like the dogtags on the bow, swinging about like a pair of gonads. it's my first complaint, also although i haven't completed game i'm almost there i believe and folks are right in that it isn't a long campaign, but that's cool, i'll do it again on hardest difficulty once i do it first time (currently on second hardest).
    And although the campaign isn't long the maps it takes place in are just fantastic and some really huge so there's re-playability right there.

2. evilfury

evilfury Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1070 GTX Gaming X
    WTF?

I lost my progress because i made autoexec?

I cant resume game anymore.

3. Xtreme512

Xtreme512 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Super
    OK I dont know why this works for you maybe because you are on SLI .. but vsync and triple buffer makes input lag.. So the rule is to first play the game without these but only fps limiting at 60 or 120.. try that please and thank me later ;)

and tearing is not visible for me.

4. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    The 120fps issue extends a bit further.
    I was deluded that my GTX580 can do 60 to 120fps on very high :)
    Turns out that my older version of MSI Afterburner (V2.21) reports double the framerate for Crysis 3.
    When compared with the latest version of Fraps, Afterburner shows twice the framerate.
    (I havent tried a more recent version of Afterburner)
    So it looks like there are more gfx tools that see 60fps as 120fps for Crysis 3.

It looks "really" good for 30 to 60fps, I was almost convinced I had over 60fps!

5. Uncle Dude

Uncle Dude Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I've done that and I still see tearing. I'm extremely happy with the smooth feel of the config I mentioned.

6. Dragam

Dragam Guest

GPU:
    Msi gtx 680 sli
    Agree on that ! The game feels much smoother than most other games, at these relatively low fps.

7. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I actually like the dogtags on the bow. While it's a cliche' thing that's been done to death in other forms of media... I thought it was pretty cool.
    Showed they Prophet actually did care about Raptor Squad and despite how he seemed, hadn't forgotten what had happened.

8. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    Some thoughts you guys may not be too happy about but then as discussing fps and AA is more important than the actual content of the game we all just bought right? :D

As stunning as some of the visuals now are over the last outing and with C3 at least recapturing some of that original identity back again there's little I can say that makes it a definite buy sadly. While the bow certainly alters the way you play the game somewhat considerably at times and once used you can pick arrows up once again (but you're still always limited to the amount you can own) it still never gets old to use. I've very rarely been forced to actually use guns as you can use your visor to locate hidden bow caches in levels and the same goes for hidden information collectables. Levels are indeed larger than C2 at least but compared to Crysis they still feel far too deliberately contained after you run this way or that way for a few short minutes, it's downright claustrophobic after playing the likes of FarCry 3.

While there's some chapters that have taken me perhaps up to fifty minutes or more due to the amount of enemies and primarily using the bow or stealth kills some of them can take as little as twenty to thirty minutes to complete. Twenty to thirty ****ing minutes. Levels often feel almost empty and devoid of anything to actually shoot so other than being filled with teh pretty it makes you wonder what was the point if there's genuinely so little to keep you within that particular game space. You're forever moving forward in the vain hope something will halt your quick step process, even for just a short while.

Then there's the AI. Yep it's Crysis 2 standard, not Crysis 1 standard and this is on the second to hardest difficulty offered in the game. These guys are pretty ****ing thick at the best of times, I've seen enemies kill one another by just running head on into the same space. I've seen enemies just stood looking at me unaware of my presence, and I wasn't even cloaked up. Arrow to the knee for them all. Great AI in fps games is now almost irrelevant it seems but as long as they can wildly run around and take cover up against a small wall and remain there forever until you get bored and put an arrow in their faces then that's supposed to be ok. **** off **** AI, I remember playing F.E.A.R still thanks.

Crysis 3 looks very nice and will keep many a tech head happy for a long time as a test base for their machines. The game experience however is about as lacking as can be the majority of the time, it feels hollow, rushed in places and does very little outside of adding jungle around you to truly return to what made Crysis the game it once was. If you want to play Crysis go play Crysis or Warhead, do not be lured into thinking this is the next natural extension of either. Crysis 3 offers seven chapters in total, just seven. I feel as though I've played very little as it is and it turns out I started Chapter six only last night.

The hacking mini game used to take over turrets or just get through doors is pretty poorly done and I can see a lot of people pulling out nose hairs over it.

The story isn't really up to very much either and just seems there to push more spectacle in your face during often lengthy cut scenes. I even remember skipping a few as the so called spectacle just became so very drab so I may have just missed someone substantial being killed off. Or maybe not.

The bugs. The game seems filled with them at times. I've had bugs where I'd suddenly get rooted to the spot part way between checkpoints and was then utterly unable to move or continue, if I pressed esc the game would crash. There was one section I had to replay at least four ****ing times thanks to that ****ty bug. Then there's a great bug which would suddenly make the player camera turn upside down which always made me a bit ill, and it always happened at the worst possible moment ever.

The best one though I saved for last, the loading bug. This is a bug where no matter what your last checkpoint saved was the game for whatever reason decided it wanted to skip to an entirely different checkpoint and let you play from there. Yeah, because I so wanted that to happen. For instance I loaded up the game a few times to see just how bad it was and was greeted with no less than five different checkpoints in the game at each and every load. How am I supposed to progress through the game again Crytek? Uninstall it? Well if you insist. And I very nearly did.

Luckily however I figured out that this constant skipping in time was down to Crysis 3 creating not one but two different save game folders on my HDD and after deleting one of them completely and many of the checkpoint saves in the other I finally fixed the problem myself. This was not long after I'd almost convinced myself that my Origin account had been hacked and that someone some place else was actually attempting to play different parts of the game that I was and were having a virtual tug of war. No it wasn't actually, two save folders you see.

I almost forgot to add the crappy way the game handles enemy spawning. As you use your visor to detect and track enemies you will then be able to see them move around a map, kill them all and you progress into a seemingly enemy free area but as soon as a checkpoint kicks in if you are using your visor at the time it clearly shows that enemies have just spawned before you once again. Sometimes they even spawned behind me in the area I'd just cleared and I remember at least one instance where a CELL twat head spawned right in front of me out of thin air.

I doubt I need add anything else really. I can't then recommend the game then to any of you really. I'm very sorry.

Next please Crytek.

9. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    Guys just got this game last night, playing on my laptop, 1080p, FXAA HIGH textures and MEDIUM specs (looking absolutely stunning as it is), getting 35-45fps avg. My GPU is clocked to 715-1800 mhz.

One question i didn't installed the latest nvidia driver, any ideas how much of a fps difference is between the crysis 3 recommended driver and older ones?

10. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    That's always been one area where I felt the CryEngine succeeds.
    Even in Crysis 1 and 2, if you had low frame rates the game still managed to play very smoothly.

Unlike a lot of other engines that skip or stutter... CryEngine seems to run smoothly at lower rates. Still allowing people to play the game.

11. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Yeah it is, ive got steam, so rather just have it on there, as theres that, Origin and Uplay, its getting daft, they should just allow each one to have the games, so if you just have steam, you can just get it on there, as they can't be losing much by people just not using their platform, as they must still get something from the games on another one. :)

12. jmikkelson

jmikkelson Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Can someone point me on how to cap the frame-rate? Is it something in the console settings? Also, is there a way to see fps in-game? Like..(cg_drawfps) or something similar in console mode?

13. tibial

tibial Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 580GTX 3-Way SLI
    I'm very close to complete the SP campaign and I have to agree with Stone Gargoyle's above comment.

The game just feels so uninteresting to play and if it wasn't for the graphics and tech behind it, I don't think many people would bother.
    You can skip a huge chunk of the entire campaign by just activating armour mode and sprint past enemy lines from point A to point B. (Now sprinting is unlimited and does not even consume suit energy by the way...)

What is the point of using the bow, cloak or any other arsenal in your disposal when there is no real challenge to force you to come up with a plan and use them according to the circumstances?

It doesn't even have a decent plot or interesting characters. Full of cheesy dialog and moronic catch phrases that would only appeal to 12-year old kids playing war in their back yard. I personally laughed a lot of times when they tried to introduce some unnecessary drama on certain situations. The result is plain stupid.

Playing Crysis 3 made me wonder, what if Dishonored had those graphics? Or Deus Ex? Or Bioshock?? But even with less shiny graphics, I would still not trade them for a crap like Crysis.

14. Xtreme512

Xtreme512 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Super
    hmm I suspect that this works only for SLI s..

are you sure that with vsync+triple buffer dont cause lag for you ? Because its night and day difference for me going that settings from no vsync + 60 fps cap :)

---

do you have 60 hz or 120 hz lcd ?

and what steps did you follow to manage vsync + triple buffer + 120 fps cap ?

Please asnwer it precisely. Because I think d3doverrider 2.0.1 doesnt work for me, I cant hear the beep sound to make sure its activated in game launch !!:3eyes:

15. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    Glad someone agrees. :)

The following video review sums up stuff I missed in my Crysis 3 write up...

http://youtu.be/3q9A9P84jek

16. Gaizokubanou

Gaizokubanou Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970
    Reading your review, each points has a point but overall it reads like you are taking the best aspect out of other top AAA games, then slamming this game because it didn't match the single best aspect of other shooters.

Like Far Cry 3 comparison... outside of open map, that game suffers from being too forgiving and easy (which is suppose to be fixed by next patch so let's see about that).

FEAR AI... yes it worked, but guess why it worked? It wasn't because they made some mind blowing AI script, it's because maps all boil down to having handful of paths for easy 'flanking'. It was simple combination of having the AI running around objects with carefully placed objects to simulate intelligence. Did it work? Sure and it was great for corridor shooter. Would it translate into larger maps? Hell no.

I get that comparisons should be made in same genre and you are right to make them and noticing the shortcomings. But the conclusion you draw from them feels like if a game fails to adopt best industry standard across the board, it fails.

I didn't mention bugs because yes this is pretty buggy for AAA release.

17. tibial

tibial Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 580GTX 3-Way SLI
    But if we decide to put Crysis 3 in a specific genre, would that be the "benchmark shooter" genre? Because it seems the only thing that does very good this game compared to other AAA titles is stressing out gpus...

18. Gaizokubanou

Gaizokubanou Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970
    I never said we should put Crysis 3 in its own genre... I said I agree with the comparisons individually, just that the conclusion based on those comparisons felt way too harsh.

19. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    Harsh but true?

20. Uncle Dude

Uncle Dude Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090

I have a 60Hz 1080p lcd monitor.

In Inspector, I have 120 fps frame cap, triple buffering on (I don't believe it works with DX11 anyway, but hey...), and normal v-sync forced on. I have in-game v-sync turned off.

In game settings are all very high with SMAA on medium and I'm running the Titan drivers. As for input lag, seems fine to me, but apparently I'm not sensitive to it as I've never noticed it in any game.

In a nutshell: I've no idea why this combination of settings feels and performs better than all others I've tried. It just does, and unless things fall apart later in the game, I'm done tweaking.