1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crysis 2 - Tweaking

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by John Peterson, Mar 25, 2011.

1. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980Ti+KS800 TV
    The pics are on the link above. The only MSAA I can find is

r_PostMSAA = 2

Is this the right one?

Will try the bioshock profile instead of fear. The only thing is I think changing it to fear fixed my performance and strange flickering sometimes. Will try this first then if someone can confirm that is the right MSAA to change?

Thanks all.

2. avivoni

avivoni Ancient Guru

GPU:
    560ti 448 classified
    r_PostMSAA=0 yes, in my game setting this to anything other than 0 will make the game have some sort of black blob making different shapes as i move the character. and if i stay still the blob seems to cover the whole screen in semi invisible dark tint

3. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX670 PEOC@1350Mhz
    hmm, that could indeed be it..disable msaa and see if it helps..
    but that sucks doe, no aa then, or can u force aa via ati driver somehow?

gretez Beta

4. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega Pulse
    That seems like a problem, it's the post-process MSAA shader and it's usually set to 1 by default (1 being the equal to 2x AA Quinux or what it's called, basically 4x MSAA at the speed hit of 2x samples but slight blur, a value of 2 is meant to be roughly 4x normal MSAA but sometimes the image "shakes" a bit with this, seems unsupported but it reduces blur slightly while keeping some amount of in-game AA active.)

(From the settings / cvar list I posted in the "Crysis 2 RTFM" thread some time ago, basically in autoexec.cfg add the line DumpCommandsVars to the end, start the game, it'll stutter/lag a bit at the main menu and then you just quit and either read the dumped HTML format or the plain text file, was uploaded earlier but this way you can just dump the list yourself.*)

(* Not all commands actually do something and many are of course locked from the in-game console as mentioned earlier though several at least allows certain stuff to be turned on and off, in-game console will prompt which commands worked if checked at the main menu but not all will actually take effect like that, system.cfg is more reliable and actually needed for certain commands like the system ones or others normally needed before the game fully initializes but as it's locked autoexec.cfg will have to do even if it's less effective.)

EDIT: (Default values listed under "current".)
    variable: r_PostMSAA
    type: int
    current: 1
    help: Enables amortized multisampling.
    Usage: r_PostMSAA [0/1]1: 2x quincunx, 2: 4xmsaa

Is also by default used with

variable: r_UseEdgeAA
    type: int
    current: 1
    help: Toggles edge blurring/antialiasing
    Usage: r_UseEdgeAA [0/1/2/3]
    Default is 1 (edge blurring)
    1 = activate edge blurring mode
    2 = activate edge antialiasing mode (previous version)
    3 = activate Laplace edge antialiasing mode

(I use post-MSAA at 2 with EdgeAA at myself but both introduce blur though it's a bit unclear how they work together and what is "best", some suggest post-AA at 2 but EdgeAA disabled.)

Some other commands are also possible but I really haven't tried many at all outside of what I tinkered with in the beta so I can't offer any direct suggestions or help, just some basic advice and help. :)
    (Above config by Beta looks pretty solid, unsure if all commands are valid in Cry-Engine 3 retail but that doesn't really affect anything negatively.)

EDIT: Actually on further testing (Which I really should have done far earlier.) system.cfg is fine and working as intended, autoexec.cfg isn't needed, it's just not prompted into the console log but the custom values still apply just fine.

EDIT: System.cfg test.
    [​IMG]
    (r_postMSAA=2,r_UseEdgeAA=3)

[​IMG]
    (r_PostMSAA=0,rUseEdgeAA=3

[​IMG]
    (r_PostMSAA=2,r_UseEdgeAA=0)

As seen it's still applied so autoexec.cfg isn't really needed or useful compared to system.cfg. :)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2011

5. avivoni

avivoni Ancient Guru

GPU:
    560ti 448 classified
    this is mine

sys_spec_shading=4
    sys_spec_gameeffects=4
    sys_spec_objectdetail=4
    sys_spec_particles=4
    sys_spec_physics=4
    sys_spec_postprocessing=4
    sys_spec_shadows=4
    sys_spec_sound=4
    sys_spec_texture=4
    sys_spec_water=4
    r_motionblur=2
    g_radialBlur=1
    cl_zoomToggle=1
    r_UseEdgeAA=3
    r_TexMaxAnisotropy=16
    r_PostMSAA=0
    cl_crouchtoggle=1
    r_ColorGrading=1
    r_SSAO=1
    r_VSync=1
    e_shadows=1
    r_HDRBloomMul=0.7
    r_HDRBrightLevel=0.9
    r_FSAA=1
    r_MultiGPU=1

6. Detection

Detection Banned

GPU:
    2 x 6850 - CrossFireX
    That started happening to me when I named the exe fear.exe

renaming crysis2.exe to bioshock.exe fixed everything for me, including frame rate

7. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    MSI 980Ti+KS800 TV
    Will try the MSAA thing now as when I changed my CF profile to bioshock I get strange flickering on the sea and a few textures again as I move...

8. Detection

Detection Banned

GPU:
    2 x 6850 - CrossFireX
    not sure if it will make any difference but did you rename the actual exe too ?

9. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX670 PEOC@1350Mhz
    good to see others trying to help too..nice of you mate;)
    since i have nvidia and no prob i cant really help nor can i find out whats happening to him..

on every NV system the config works great and has a lot of improvements..

if u wanna see the whole list just download my beta5 file..All commands work, except a few, but there for testing anyway ;)

if u want i can change the cfg for u and disable everything to do with aa, and u can try force aa via ati panel if this is working..

10. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX670 PEOC@1350Mhz
    heres teh CFG without aa settings..no aa at all. but rest is still there , quality tweaks, etc etc..

http://www.mediafire.com/?08hz80u39l0d9cc

i do still think its an ATI prob with that game..or the other way around..^^

11. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    MSI 980Ti+KS800 TV
    No as I thought that it equals the same thing. I don't know. Will try in a bit.

12. avivoni

avivoni Ancient Guru

GPU:
    560ti 448 classified
    my msaa problem is with main rig. nvidia cards. its got to do with SLI IMO. my friend has single card and doesnt get the msaa issue.
    i have not renamed any .exe or tryd any mods. i just installed that little tweaking program v1.6 and noticed tha by disablking the msaa option it wouldnt have the issue.

13. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX670 PEOC@1350Mhz
    jup hes right lol..
    i just testet on a friends computer and he has a ati 5770 non crossfire and it works perfect there..

so u need to rename the CRYSIS2.exe to what ever he told u..
    fear? bioshock, dunno.,..only ati cards have that name thing..

but i think after that its gonna work , WITH msaa and edgeAA.

14. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    MSI 980Ti+KS800 TV
    Well I used the Fear profile with Radeon Pro and turned off MSAA and I get really good fps and no strange anomaly like strange blobs or flicker!

If I use MSAA or bioshock profile I get blobs and/or flicker. I'm happy now!

Will try out your non AA cfg in a bit BetA13.

Thanks to everyone for trying to sort this for the community! :banana:

EDIT: Oh right BetA13. Will try it.

15. Xtreme512

Xtreme512 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1060 6GB
    @BETA: man you're truly awesome !!! last cfg of yours ROCKS !!! I dont need DX11 anymore lol :D :D :D

16. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    MSI 980Ti+KS800 TV
    As I have 2 cards with 1024meg could I change this to 2048?

17. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    MSI 980Ti+KS800 TV
    Do you use Radeon Pro in combination with that? Also I have the steam version. Don't think it will work with that as I am sure I read somewhere in another thread on Guru that it would not start up. Will try soon.

18. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega Pulse
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=3939123&postcount=144

Edited my post with further system.cfg tests, actually I just compared postMSAA (2 / 4x causes light distortions on this level though or what to call it.) and EdgeAA (Which seems as inactive as it was in the beta, I can't find much of a difference aside from the obvious caused by vegetation bending in the wind which has nothing to do with it.)

Seems system.cfg works fine, nothing wrong with autoexec.cfg as is but it's a interesting discovery and maybe more. :)
    (That I should have noticed and found far earlier, "g_skipIntro = 1" and "g_EnableInitialLoginScreen = 0" is a easy way and method to test if system.cfg commands apply as it'll take effect before and at the main menu directly without loading a save or replaying a level.)

system.cfg and autoexec.cfg mostly differ in the way they're loaded though, system.cfg take effect at boot and thus can alter system_ commands and several others that normally need a restart or similar, autoexec.cfg loads after boot so can't alter these efficiently though they may still display as altered in the console output.

sys_game_folder=GameCrysis2
    sys_dll_game=CryGameCrysis2.dll
    sys_user_folder=Crysis2

These (from system.cfg) are a good way to test this, game will work with these in system.cfg but the game will fail without them or with them in autoexec.cfg as they're loaded too late then.

19. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX670 PEOC@1350Mhz
    i guess u can..i only have 1024..i´d say go for it and try it..But it shouldnt change to much anyway...

20. The Sleeper

The Sleeper Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI FE
    I have the same problem with SLI and MSAA ...

If i turn MSAA off its not there ;0)

Wierd lightning is what i get and a square int the middle of the screen ...

If i dont use the Advanced settings editor i have no problems ;0)

So i am hoping for a fix ...