Crysis 2 - RTFM

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by morbias, Feb 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Omagana

Omagana Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    A port is when you take a program and modify it to run on a platform it was not originally coded for.

Port short for Portability

2. Cronik

Cronik Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080

I'm sorry you like the game.

3. ToyTen

ToyTen Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Suprim X
    Thx mate, as i've read that term a lot these lasts months, this clarifies it.

Edit: also thank you wubbles for the wiki definition ;)

Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  4. Xendance

Xendance Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    Wtf does that even mean? All console games are developed like that. Do you think they have magic keyboards, IDE's and other toolkits for the consoles?
    Edit: Apart from the gfx settings you can't say any feature (or lack of one) that would make the game more "console port" than Half-Life 1 and/or 2.

5. Cronik

Cronik Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080

So should I start saying "console port" again?

6. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    It is a console port of sorts, but its the best one i've ever played, and people should get used to it, 90% of PC games are ports, this is the situation, get over it.

I also never said i liked it, just that its alot better than the first game, and while visually not as pretty as the first games, it felt more impressive.

In Crysis1 you spent the first hour going wow, then it went downhill after that, and i ran into just as many crappy low textures in the first game as i did in the second.

This was the vanilla game though, gave up on modding it, as like most mods other than texture packs, it ended up making the game look worse.

7. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Yes, the game will use OpenGL just like all of id's other games. But, it still uses DX just as Doom 3 used DX9 but could scale back to DX7.
    RAGE... will not use DX10 or 11 because Carmack thinks they are "useless" and don't offer anything he can't do in DX9.

This annoys the hell out of me.
    People throwing around the word "port" like it's a horrible thing. A bad port is not bad because it's a port, it's bad because it was ported poorly.
    There are plenty of awesome games that are ports. The Dead Space series, BioShock, Splinter Cell: Conviction, Darksiders..... Chronicles of Riddick... XIII.... Resident Evil 5 and Devil may Cry 4. All awesome games and awesome ports.

People need to stop throwing around the word port like it instantly means a game sucks. A bad port is bad because the developed fecked up the job.
    If a game is bad, no matter if it was made for PC or if it was ported over, the fault falls on the developer, not if it was ported.

And, even if Crysis 2 is a port, it's a damn great port. Awesome visuals, amazing performance, responsive controls... fun gameplay. Even as a port I'll take it, the game is great.
    Sorry, but I'm sick of people shooting off that if a game is a port it sucks. This "holier than thou" attitude some "hardcore PC gamers" throw around, like they are so much better then console gamers... how dare they be given a "port" to play.
    We're all gamers. And a good game is a good game no matter which system it originated on. I'll take a great port over a bugged, crappy PC exclusive.

8. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 3080
  9. Leodie

Leodie Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    ^^^ That! :thumbup:

10. Reciprocity

Reciprocity Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3090 X Trio
    Well said Damien.

Even if a DX11 patch did get released I'll already have completed the game three or more times over and really won't care anymore. Once the game has already been experienced, adding in extra eye candy for its own sake will not improve the game and would only serve to demo extra effects that might or might not impress for more than a few minutes anyway. If you don't like the way the game plays now, you wouldn't magically like it simply because of better/more shader effects and particles. C'mon guys...

As an aside, the sheer time so many people have collectively spent complaining about this DX11 stuff boggles my mind, just seems to go on and on without end and I really don't understand the point. You're missing out on a good (note good, not necessarily epic...) game if you refuse to play it for that reason alone.

11. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
  12. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AorusXtreme 1080Ti
    It pointless going around in circles, loads think the game looks fantastic, the rest of us are pissed at Crysis 1 setting itself as the pedigree that all other games had to try and compete with graphically and technologically. Crysis 2 does look great on PC theres no denying that, but no matter how anyone puts it ITS A STEP BACK technologically( if DX11 cant produce better gfx than DX9 then why does it exist? ).

Personally i dont give a $hit about a DX11 patch anymore, its already too late, ill have it finished soon and put it in my disappointed with developer category and just be wary of all their future releases and expectations of them.

If i had known it was going to be DX9 only on release, i would never ever have preordered this, and in that repect i feel conned. Its my opinion btw so its 100% right for me :)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  13. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
  14. Xendance

Xendance Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    ...Doom 3 uses OpenGL, so how can it use DX9 and scale back to DX7 at the same time? If you meant the xbox version, it's rather pointless to say that it can "scale back" since you can't configure GFX settings on consoles :p

How is it a step backwards? More like a step forward since they're rendering all the effects from Crysis 1 (which were supposed to be DX 10) on DX 9, which arguably is an inferior API, faster than before. Using an older API doesn't automatically mean that the tech is OLD. There's a ****ton of other stuff than it. DX 11 could exist only for developer's comfort, refactored code that looks nicer and is easier to write.
    Do you people think that a new API is a silver bullet for better and more advanced GFX? Hint: It's not.

15. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    But you said that...but it kinda is relevant. He no longer thinks OpenGL is superior, and infact thinks it is superior, kinda the opposite entirely of what you posted.

16. Khronis

Khronis Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5870 x2
    Well it did lose some things from Crysis 1, like POM and the anti aliasing they use in crysis 2 feels like it's lower quality (Except for the foliage which didn't get any aa in crysis 1). Polygon count and textures are lower too, animations as well in some cases (The infected humans look like **** imo). The destructible environment is all but gone too, nothing close to the huts here.

17. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    He "no longer" thinks that. But when coding RAGE and idTech5 he did and felt DX10 was a waste as it didn't offer anything he couldn't do in DX9.

His feelings on DX11 have changed recently, yes. But as far as RAGE is concerned... it's a none issue. He still has little to no use for DX10.
    Who knows, maybe Doom will use DX11... but I doubt it.

18. Marri

Marri Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I haven't read much here but I've got to say , I'm quite disturbed with my Crysis 2 experience..
    I'm having a very hard time being able to spot the A.I on my 32" Screen.. the whole screen is glowing.. BFBC2 has bloom but this is abit much for the eye to meet..
    Then comes the controls , I'm ice skating drifting my crossair , as if the bloom didnt make things hard enough..
    Then comes the maga load of jaggies..
    Seriously , I regret vouching for this game..
    I'm going to buy KZ3 on my ps3 because that's a far better FPS because last I checked KZ2 was excellent (atleast I haven't heard it being a downgrade graphically in anyway and the controls haven't been downgraded either)
    Plus I think I can aim better with a controller playing KZ3 then playing Crysis 2 on a mouse..

Honestly Crysis Warhead looked next gen , this looks nothing as solid and I'd much rather vote for Crysis 1 over this game to anyone out there..
    Incase if he or she wishes to have a go at the series..

19. Tranceholic

Tranceholic Banned

GPU:
    MSI GeForce GTX 570 Fermi
    i think we all got ripped off of a crysis 1 mod LOL

20. DarkKnightDude

DarkKnightDude Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX770 4 GB OC
    Anyone know how to remove the words like "Press F to grab SCAR" or "Press B for Visor?" off the screen?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.