Crysis 2 DX11 Performance Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Russ369, Jun 27, 2011.

1. kcuestag

kcuestag Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX980Ti G1
    Your explanation was very helpful, thank you.

What IQ do you think I should use then for Crysis 2 without losing any tesselation or texture quality?

I want to see the bricks as "thick" as I do right now with everything at ultra (and CCC at default).

Thanks a lot, this might be very useful. :)

EDIT:

I tried x16 and the game was running as bad (30fps) in the first part of the game when you break almost inside the military base right after the first part where u see the water/sea. :p

I think CrossfireX is broken, my GPU's are only at 50%-55%, while they were at 99% all the time before the patch when we only had DX9.

So I guess all I can do is wait for new AMD drivers and CAP's? :)

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  2. GrandMax

GrandMax Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680 @ 1270Hz
    Hello Kcuestag,

I think the tessellation factor has no effect on the size or scale of the tessellated geometry, but rather it affects the polygon count. Can anyone confirm this.

I forced 4x and could notice that the geometries were simplified but it gave a nice performance boost (about 10fps). Some wall were really not as sharp though.

In Uniengine Heaven, you can play on 3 settings for tessellation: I think it is scale (size of poly), factor (number of them) and distance (at which it appears).

3. kcuestag

kcuestag Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX980Ti G1
    Hello,

I tried X16 and it did not help my FPS at all, read my EDIT.

Also my GPU usage are very low on both of my 6970's.

I think we need to wait for AMD to solve this instead. :p

4. GrandMax

GrandMax Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680 @ 1270Hz
    Same here, stuck sometimes around 30fps. My GPU are at roughly 50% too. I tried Bioshock, Fear, Dirt 3 but I saw no improvement so far.

Do you know if there is a way to put some MSAA and get rid of those crawling ants (jaggies)? That is killing me.

5. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT Black Ed
    yes :wanker:

6. r9800pro

r9800pro Member

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE Vapor-X R9 290
    You should try 8x tessellation then, and compare IQ and performance

At this point we can NOT confirm that Nvidia has better performance because of tessellation as we now know that current driver/cap don't give a good GPU usage (CF at least , but what about Single card ?)

7. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT Black Ed
    yes we can and id bet my life on it.

8. r9800pro

r9800pro Member

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE Vapor-X R9 290
    Hehehe, no need for that :D

All I said was that we can not come to any conclusions at this point regarding the lesser performance of HD6900 in Crysis 2 Ultra DX11

In tessellation HD6900 series have massive improvement over HD5800 series , that is ~65+% improvement and yet we can't see it in Crysis 2 DX11 benchmarks :)

9. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT Black Ed
    thats probably because its not that heavily tessellated : /

10. DEATHxxHIPPIE

DEATHxxHIPPIE Member

GPU:
    2 5850's
    did notice that scissor and supertile don't give the usual corruption

11. kcuestag

kcuestag Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX980Ti G1
    I'll give 8x Tesselation a try this evening then, but I think we need new drivers and/or CAP's are my GPU usage in the first part of the Campaign (When you get to the outside world) is about 45%-50% ...

12. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1080 ti
    Just tried 8x Tessellation and it seems an improvement! I also don't notice any difference to say, the stones in the road or bricks in the walls so thats good! (for now until AMD do something with a driver)

13. kcuestag

kcuestag Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX980Ti G1
    Thank you for letting me know, I will try it at x8 and let you know! :D

14. kcuestag

kcuestag Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX980Ti G1
    Lowered it to x8, I noticed no performance or visual change at all, still runs crap.

Lowered it to x4, same thing. :(

GPU usage is between 60% and 70%.

I think AMD needs a driver and/or CAP's so we can enjoy this game at +60fps hopefully before end of summer.

EDIT:

Wait, do I need to restart the computer everytime I apply a new Tesselation number in CCC?

Because I haven't restarted at all, and it all looks and performs the same X4 or X64...

EDIT2:

I applied X8 and restarted.

It made no difference at all.

Maybe we just need to wait for new drivers? I guess I'll skip this game meanwhile. :)

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  15. Dalton Sleeper

Dalton Sleeper Member Guru

GPU:
    2 x GTX 1080 8GB
    crap, after loading a map I get screen corruption, going in to the meny changing something back and forth or even alt tab works, not very fun thou :/

new caps or drivers please!

16. DarthElvis

DarthElvis Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte gtx980 g1

And millions of dollars from Nvidia to the devs ensured it would be this way.

17. Evomasta

Evomasta Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 5970 2gb
    Um, is anyone having problem where there is only 1 gpu being utilized in singleplayer?

[​IMG]

18. Tjr074

Tjr074 New Member

GPU:
    XFX 6970 crossfire
    I'm running two 6970's crossfire and Ive got serious scaling problems in both DX11 and DX9 on 1.9, actually having negative scaling, but I'm running average about 30 fps off one card with lows in the 20-25 range and highs all the way up to 60, but the 60 fps is very rare and only in closed areas or not much going on. I've noticed that I have no activity at all on my second card running crossfire. I also had a problem with my TV changing to 24 Hz but that was solved with a forced resolution of 1904x1076 in CCC. Anyway, I guess I'll wait a couple of weeks to try to play until AMD releases a new driver or CAP.

19. DEATHxxHIPPIE

DEATHxxHIPPIE Member

GPU:
    2 5850's
    make sure you have the r_multigpu = 1 somewhere in your autexec.cfg for the game

20. kcuestag

kcuestag Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX980Ti G1
    Does that even help you in DX11?