Crysis 2 & 3 capping framerate internally to ~63 FPS on new Nvidia drivers

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by BlindBison, Jan 26, 2021.

1. BlindBison

BlindBison Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    Something I noticed recently was that Crysis 2 and 3 were capping their framerates internally on my G-Sync panel (3900X + 2080S).

A cursory Google search showed me that this is something others are experiencing as well.

I was able to "solve" this by enabling the Ultra Low Latency mode in the Nvidia control panel for some reason, but haven't been able to find a way yet to leave default prerender behavior in tact without the game auto-limiting its framerate.

I also tried disabling fullscreen optimizations on the .exe and I tried setting the sys_maxFPS to 0 (or some higher value like 120) in the system.cfg / console, but neither resolved the issue, only enabling the ULLM mode did for whatever reason.

Now, my Google search showed people didn't know if this was a driver issue from Nvidia or something caused by one of the Windows 10 updates -- I do recall having issues with Crysis 3 on a previous Nvidia driver where without the ULLM mode enabled I got horrible performance for whatever reason with lots of stuttering, but now it's just capping itself internally.

C3 is one of those games I revisit from time to time so it's a bummer to run into such issues -- no idea what could be causing the game to "Misbehave" like this on newer drivers, but it is an old game -- I also wasn't able to get the original FEAR to work (terrible performance for some reason) so maybe old games just break sometimes.

2. hemla

hemla Master Guru

GPU:
    nvidia
    And how is C3 performance on new driver compared to previous one?

3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    its a windows bug, but microsoft isn't publicly owning it (they have privately though)

BlindBison likes this.
  4. sideband

sideband Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070
    Use Low Latency Mode to Ultra or Frame Limiter on driver solve this problem.

This is problem exist on 19041 and newer Win10 build.

BlindBison likes this.

5. nanogenesis

nanogenesis Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X 1178|6350
    Using Fast Sync fixed it for me.

BlindBison likes this.
  6. BlindBison

BlindBison Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    Interesting, if I'm using G-Sync and cap the framerate ~4 frames beneath refresh would that mean Fast Sync would never kick in and you'd get standard Future frame render behavior then?

Normally I hate fast sync due to how stuttery/jittery it looks, but with G-Sync might be fine in conjunction with fps cap -- will try that solution.

7. BlindBison

BlindBison Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    @Astyanax @sideband Thanks! That's great to know, I didn't know if it was something on my end.

@sideband ULLM did resolve the fps cap issue for me -- someone else is claiming fast sync would fix it as well (I have gsync, normally I hate fast sync since it looks so jittery), but I didn't know altering the driver level nvidia fps limiter could resolve it, huh -- it seemed like the game was limiting its fps internally. Will give some of these a shot, ideally I'd prefer to keep standard prerender behavior with uncapped fps if I could.