Crysis 1080P 24hz 9.11 & 9.12 drivers

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by KingDazza, Jan 12, 2010.

1. KingDazza

KingDazza Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti Strix
    Hi,

When I had a GTX280, I could play Crysis & Crysis Warhead DX9 or 10 at 1080P and my full 60hz refresh rate. However, since moving to ATi HD5870, I get the following using 9.11 or 9.12 at native 1920 x 1080:

Crysis DX9 - full 60hz
    Crysis DX10 - locks down to 24hz

Crysis Warhead DX9 - 25hz
    Crysis Warhead DX10 - 24hz

If I run the game windowed, then full 1920 x 1080 60hz returns for all modes. But this is a pretty poor solution. However if I run under 9.10 drivers then I get both DX9 & DX10 lock at 50hz. This again isnt ideal though as it means I cant use the latest drivers for my other games easily.

Any help would be much appreciated. Love the card but not enjoying this bug...

EDIT: just to add, all other games are great and no issues with refresh rate regardless of DX9 or 10 and 1080P resolutions. Connected via HDMI, but problem persists under DVI too.

Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  2. SashaX

SashaX Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX TITAN @ 1150 MHz
    Same problem here U_u
    Locked @ 24hz, Crysis and Crysis Warhead, both of them.
    Also, i cant play in Crossfire, it only detects one card...

3. Dr Tone

Dr Tone Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX Titan SC
    9.12s are pretty messed up.

This is a long shot but try uninstalling the ATI HDMI driver and use the default OS HDMI driver (Vista or Windows 7 only) or install the Realtek ATI HDMI driver.

4. rflair

rflair Don Commisso Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    To the OP, are you using an HDTV for a monitor?

5. marthand

marthand Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5850+Nvidia 8800GTS
    Don't worry today we are going to get new catalyst 10.1

6. beezley

beezley Member

GPU:
    5870 Powercolor
    hi there, had the same problem myself....managed to overcome the problem by installing the 9.12 hotfix drivers. Then in ccc changed to a non native resolution>then enable gpu scaling>scale image to full panel size>then finally set back to 1080p. I must admit I had to fiddle around in ccc for quite a bit before finally getting rid of that god awful 24hz.

Good Luck anyhow :)

7. KingDazza

KingDazza Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti Strix
    Cheers for the replies. Its connected to a Samsung 46" LED 1080P HDTV.

Sounds interesting beezley. Will be a pain if we have to do something like that every time we change drivers. But I'll give it a try. I've tried pretty much all the google responses, so this at least is something new to try. Much obliged.

Would be cool if there was some command line we could add to the shortcut or something, forcing the refresh rate we want. Of course Crytek, could have been nice and included a hz setting in the first place :)

8. SashaX

SashaX Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX TITAN @ 1150 MHz
    Im pretty sure he is, i am too.
    That's only happening to HDTV users. :(

9. kitch9

kitch9 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    This is a Windows 7 thing. Its nothing to do with ATI drivers.

Run Regedit go to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoActiveDesktopChanges and if the value is 1 change it to 0.

That should stop any 24HZ issues, including the infamous Crysis 24hz at 1080p bug. I figured this out myself as there is no fix on the net anywhere for it. By default XP and Vista already have this value at 0, it has been changed for Windows 7 for whatever reason, but I am yet to find a problem having it set this way.

Another way to do it if you are not comfortable with registry editing is to download Malwarebytes and run a quick scan. The program will report this issue as a false positive. Tell it to fix the issue and it will set the key to 0 for you.

10. beezley

beezley Member

GPU:
    5870 Powercolor
    I have a hdtv and have experienced this problem several times when installing new drivers......never messed around in the registry to fix it though, like i said the fix came from me messing around with ccc, so its got to have something to do with it.

Just checked the registry settings posted above and my value is 1 in the noactivedesktop. I did change the settings in the hdtv support tab as that has fixed it for me in the past, but the solution that worked for me this time round was as posted in my last post. Will try the above next time the issue arises though so thanks :)

11. KingDazza

KingDazza Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti Strix
    Well thanks to both suggestions. :)

Unfortunately kitch, your suggestion did not work. Its also worth noting I had this problem prior to 9.10, Vista 64 and a HD4890... as it also comes back in 9.11 and 9.12 on 7, then for me I cant help but think it is driver related.

And beezley - bloody ace Sir! Now running 9.12, applied your fix and viola, at last, both are now full 1080P & 60hz. :banana:
    Top man and your solution could help many, I can assure you from the amount of frustrated users I picked up on Google. So who knows, hopefully this thread will help future peeps now when they Google. Clearly driver related it would now seem.

Thanks ever so much to all of you for suggestions and help. Sound guys. :) Now if you'll excuse me, its time I got my rocks off in my Nanosuit on the Lingshan Islands.:)

12. beezley

beezley Member

GPU:
    5870 Powercolor
    heh heh, glad you got it working now you can get your rocks off lol...not sure whether it is driver or ccc related that is causing the problem though. I guess the only way of knowing is just installing the driver with no ccc and seeing if the problem is still there.

Funny enough though i had the same problem in previous drivers when running vista 64, but all is good in the world until the next driver install at least....

13. kitch9

kitch9 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    Yeah, I'm running a 1080p Monitor and had the 24hz thing. It threw my monitor out of range and just gave me a black screen. The reg fix sorted it for me. I wonder if HDTV's and Monitors are different with this regard?

14. Ricaspecada

Ricaspecada Active Member

GPU:
    ATI 5870
    Can you both please tell me the exact steps? When i choose the "enable gpu scaling" then it wont let me choose 1080p, only 720p... :confused:

15. luv2increase

luv2increase Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 480 - 800/1600/1900
    I've just been using (alt + enter) for about a year now. Just hit that however many times it takes to get to 60hz in full-screen mode, and you are golden :)

I can't believe no one mentioned the alt + enter fix yet :(

16. Ricaspecada

GPU:
    ATI 5870
    Alt+Enter just makes the game in windowed mode making the game slower than fullscreen 60Hz. You just don't notice that it is windowed.

17. KingDazza

KingDazza Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti Strix
    It also didn't always work for me. Besides, my post was to find a more permanent & hassle free solution...

EDIT: In response to the question above, I just followed the original advice from above that. Selected 1280 x 720 (or there abouts), which then gave me the option to select GPU scaling, chose the option of fill screen (middle one iirc), applied, and then just selected the 1920 x 1080 res and all was well. Strange that you dont have that resolution on offer after selecting the GPU scaling...

Cant give anything more cohesive than that at the moment as I'm at work unfortunately.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  18. Ricaspecada

GPU:
    ATI 5870
    The only "fix" that works for me is to use 9.10 Catalyst because it doesn't have 24Hz built-in. It's a shame that ATI and NVIDIA doesn't have this issue fixed!!

19. luv2increase

luv2increase Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 480 - 800/1600/1900

lol

You just don't hit (alt + enter) one time. You have to hit it until it gets into full-screen mode @ 60hz.

For example: When I start up Crysis/Warhead, I am in 24hz mode. I leave into in 24hz mode until the level is loaded and I am playing. At that point, I hit (alt + enter) and it will take me into "windowed mode @ 60hz". Then, I hit it again right away, and it will take me into full-screen mode @ 60hz.

Sometimes, it gets a little tricky, and you will have to hit (alt + enter) maybe 3 or 4 times until you finally arrive @ 60hz in full-screen mode. :banana:

20. Ricaspecada

GPU:
    ATI 5870
    I tried that million times man! It seems to you that is fullscreen when it's not! The thing is that the window stays perfectly aligned in the screen and you won't see it's windowed!