1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crysis 1 remake (rumor)

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Carfax, Aug 31, 2019.

1. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Unreal has always been and always will be a PC first toolset, anyone daring to say otherwise is sipping the bubbly.

2. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    CryEngine started as a PC dominant game engine, but it has evolved over time like Unreal Engine. But unlike the latter, its performance hasn't increased as much.

Here is the wiki entry on Unreal Engine games starting at the beginning.

As you can see, Unreal Engine was primarily focused on the PC platform for years before it started developing for consoles.

As a matter of fact, I would say all of the older 3D game engines developed for PC first before focusing on consoles. It wasn't until the Xbox 360 and PS3 generation that the consoles started to become a priority for Western 3D engine creators like Epic and Id.

Indeed, but now things have changed. And this is primarily thanks to the unceasing development of the Unreal Engine. All of the engine optimizations and tricks Epic learned by their experience with Fortnite and Paragon contributed to The Coalition being able to target and run Gears 5 at 60 FPS on a console at high fidelity.

If you liked Gears 4, the chances that you'll like Gears 5 is about 95%! If I remember, I think I rated Gears 4 as a solid 8.0, but looking back on it, I should have given it a 7.5. While the core game mechanics were tweaked, the game needed a fresher perspective. I wish that The Coalition would have been more bold and revolutionary with Gears 4.

But Gears 5 seems to rectify that, and I'm sure it will get a higher personal rating from me than Gears 4 did.

3. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    Oh FFS... here we go again. Can you take your engine size comparisons elsewhere?

4. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    There's only so much debate we can have about the possibility of a Crysis remake :D

5. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    I guess, but you've spent so many pages of this on other threads that I seriously wonder what merit does another repeat have...:confused:

6. S.T.A.R.A.C.

S.T.A.R.A.C. Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 7970 3GB WindForce
    Never listen people who don't know what they are talking about, like Carfax in this case. He likes to talk about engines, but he never used one.
    Btw, all engines are PC engines.
    The most impressive achievement ever made when we talk about graphics is Crysis 3 on previous-gen consoles. What they did back then on that weak hardware with only 512mb of RAM is unbelievable. An this is old Cryengine 3, a 10 years old tech:

Couple of days ago they have released new 5.6 version:

7. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    Nonsense. I use them all the time.....when I play games :D

I agree, running Crysis 3 on the Xbox 360 was an impressive feat. I said as much when the game released, and I couldn't believe they got it running on those outdated consoles.

But when I played Crysis 3 myself, I got a taste of how they did it and the sacrifices they made. One of the things they did was resort to canned animations for vegetation destruction physics instead of doing it in real time. I figured that out when I played the game and kept getting stutters at certain times, seemingly for no apparent reason.

I finally traced the cause of the stuttering down to trees getting destroyed by gunfire. Apparently, every time a bullet hit a tree and damaged it, it caused a canned destruction animation to be loaded from storage. Back then, I had two Western Digital Raptors in RAID0, so the stutter was very jarring and noticeable. In the end, getting an SSD fixed the problem completely.

Here is a thread about that problem on the NVidia forums from years ago, and I commented on it. My handle was Carfax83.

8. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Crysis 3 was impressive, for what they achieved on the 360 hardware.
    But, I would rather play RAGE on the 360 as it hit the 60fps mark... and personally, the gun combat feels so much better.

I like Crysis 3, but playing it on console feels really strange. It's impressive that it runs on the platform, but it doesn't feel like something that should be on the platform. If that makes any sense.

9. S.T.A.R.A.C.

S.T.A.R.A.C. Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 7970 3GB WindForce
    Every FPS on consoles feels strange.

10. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Beside fighting games where i feel like at home everything feels strange on consoles. Thats why we have pc.

11. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    There are some FPS games that feel right on consoles, but those specifically designed around it.
    Also, several third person titles very great on the systems.

Crysis 3... and 2 to some extent, you could feel weren't designed around those systems. And as such, there was a disconnect between control - actions.

12. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rx480 8GB
    I'm not sure I would care for an updated C1, as I expect the AI to be too a bit too much of a moron to have fun with.

13. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
  14. millibyte

millibyte Maha Guru

GPU:
    2070 subpar RTX OFF
    I'm sorry.

Those are some pretty scenic views btw.

15. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    It s not about the scenery here,it s about where the game is set,and it is recreated with details as i posted pic where your character is situated in the game

16. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Years ago I would have agreed. Was a die-hard KB/M user for so long, esp when it comes to FPS titles. But now KB/M feels so unnatural to me, only a controller will do. So on one level, can sympathize with console users, just that I prefer the superior graphics of PC.

17. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    For me I do it on a game by game basis. Some games feel better with a controller ie Witcher 3, Assassin's Creed, Batman Arkham series, while other games play much better with a keyboard and mouse ie Doom, Gears 5, Metro Exodus.

18. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I grew up playing fighting games on a keyboard, and it's still my preferred input device for fighting games (I don't like the strain on the thumb using a gamepad, and I could never get used to a fight stick).

19. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    too much throw in flightsticks for precise fps control. that is always the issue when balancing flightsicks vs gameplad/joystick is they handle so diametrically differently and toss in mouse you got another balance area that excels at precision.

even using a gamepad to fps it is not natural to aim, aim assist is often used in games that require shooting else you have to pan the aim around to get sights on target and if that target is moving that gets increasingly difficult. scale up to joystick and you got to move your hand way more to do that same action flick of a thumb wirh adjustment for gamepad, and mouse is just flick the wrist to the target spot.

this had long been the sticking point in star citizen with the placeholder flight model make mouse aim centered ships leagues easier to fly, and easier to do well in the arena battle arenas. guns on target was vastly more useful than precise evasive flying, but given enough time practice and effort the top joystick guys could go head to head with any mouser. leveraging the manueverability and knowledge of different ships to simply outfly and win.

the skill cap gap tho is vast. and wo a 3rd party solution aim type weapons on joystick were a liability, most joysticks flew fixed or learned to stick and mouse, very awkward to move your hands on 2 different control devices at the same time and do it well. but that was one way around that limitation. trackir and facetrack are 2 ways you can fly stick now and use aim weapons with decent precision but it takes practice and tweaking your setup for hours to max your performance.

and then you got virtual devices and etc than can spoof windows and the game as to what control type your using.

TL;DR it is a mess, balancing controls is hard.