1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crysis 1 remake (rumor)

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Carfax, Aug 31, 2019.

1. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    Crytek recently released a tech trailer for their CryEngine 5.6, and starting at 2:18, you can see a beautiful remake of the jungle area and what looks like the first location you parachute into in Crysis at the beginning of the game.

I don't know about you guys, but If there is a remake inbound, I would certainly buy it; as long as its a proper remake and not just a quick money grab by Crytek. I have fond memories of trying to tweak Crysis to run at higher framerates without butchering image quality on my Geforce 9800 GTX+ back in the day when it first came out :D I was never sufficiently satisfied with Crysis' performance and IQ until I replayed it on a GTX 580 SLi rig plus a 30 inch Samsung 305T panel.

Good times! :cool:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
    TheDeeGee likes this.
  2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    or maybe it has nothing to do with crysis.

3. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    I'd love to see a new Crysis game.

Kolt likes this.
  4. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega Pulse
    They do like using that beach scene but they also used bits of Ryse so it's probably just scene showcases with the last part making it come together showing what it could look like with this new engine revision and a more complete scene akin to a shipped title instead of smaller bits showcasing individual tech advancements. :)

Though there was that X360 version of Crysis on Cry-Engine 3.5 although I guess EA still holds the overall license unless Crytek managed to re-acquire it need to check that and it could be a thing for the new generation of consoles but I think Crytek rather make something new like how Hunt Showdown is nearing release status now after some time in early access. :)

EDIT: Wouldn't mind a fleshed out full remake of the first Crysis game though but not sure it'd work out for how games are today and then budget and costs and time spent and lots of other factors. It didn't quite work as well as Crytek intended as I recall moving them more into multi-platform development after sales and the reputation on how it needed a high end system.

Whereas in actuality it was one of the last games that really did scale across almost generational leaps from low to ultra greatly affecting both visual quality and performance beyond just shaders and shadows and some texture detailing and geometry complexity though these got altered too.

Early showcase for things like geometry shaders too but not used on much by default and other D3D10 features though driver maturity, Vista itself and other factors were also a hindrance at times. :)

EDIT: Wonder if this works. Well not quite but a fairly good image for how much the game did change even if it's maybe not Source Engine levels or anything. :D

[​IMG]

So yeah it probably could run Crysis even if it's not Ultra although the very real bottleneck with the engine and focus on single core just around the shift to dual core and multi threading making a bigger impact is also a issue with many mid-2000's games.
    (Stalker and it's two tie-in games before Metro and the engine programmer from GSC made 4A which had that as one of it's improvements or just the later versions of Cry-Engine itself found in the sequels.)

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019

5. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated
    We absolutely need another Crysis, how can make new hardware obsolete and unable to run properly the game?
    Absolute everyone: maket the code more streamlined and more refined and tested and curated to best performance ratio?
    Devs: not interested.

6. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2080 Ti OC
    Make rigs cry again please.

dark_surge, Kolt and cerebus23 like this.
  7. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Considering the video also shows an area from Ryse, I think it might be a bit presumptuous to jump to "Crysis remake" just because they used an area from the game.
    Crysis is their most popular, and widely acclaimed game when it comes to visuals.

And if they are trying to promote their new engine's visual abilities, why wouldn't they show that Crysis area in the new engine?

signex and spajdrik like this.
  8. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    I dont want a Crysis remake but a Crysis 4. It will happen with the next gen consoles and when the raytracing becomes a norm in 2023.

alanm and jura11 like this.
  9. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    I... doubt it will happen.
    As EA are the owners of the Crysis IP... I doubt they'd be willing to invest in a single player FPS without completely forking it up by forcing some stupid MP/pay to win crap.
    Also, I don't think Crytek wants to work with EA again. IIRC the relationship wasn't exactly... good.

10. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    when was the last time crytek had a good "working" relationship with anyone? :p

they sued CIG, been losing there last i checked, they were in the toilet and not paying people for awhile.

figured they be going under any given day, but they keep on keeping on. i like cryengine and all, would be nice to see it up there with unreal as adoptions go, but they company just cant seem to put it together and get over that line.

and people waxing for a crysis remake? lol i recall the hate that game got on here :p.

11. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA XCUltra 2080Ti
    Crytek mismanagement has reached an unforgivable level. Crunching is already generalized, not paying employees for months is just unacceptable.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/comments/5wzlf2/crytek_employee_here_havent_been_paid_in_2017/

I doubt they have the ressources to make Crysis 4 , with Crytek currently being roughly half the size it was back when they pulled Crysis 3 off. While having the utmost respect for current Crytek employees, gaming industry being already hard as it is, i would guess that employee that had the opportunity to leave, left a couple years ago.

If they're making a remake of Crysis, i'll probably get it, as i'm a bit nostalgic of this era of gaming, but i wish crytek was doing a bold and daring move, chasing new ground, a new IP.
    I want something fresh instead of a never ending 'tech demo game'.

signex and cerebus23 like this.
  12. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    It is true that considering their more recent financial troubles, a remaster/re-release of Crysis would be a win for the studio.
    As people would buy it up.

But, again... EA.
    And, as we've seen... EA are not in the habit of doing smart or user-friendly business moves.

13. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    I really like the first Crysis, one of my favourite FPS, but i don´t see the point of a remake this soon. The graphics are still very good despite their age and there are plenty of mods to make them even better so who would buy this kind of remake??? For me they should a direct continuation of the first Crysis and forget about the other 2 games.

Also i thought that Crytek was story by now because of everything that happened, are they still working???

jbscotchman and cerebus23 like this.
  14. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    The original Crysis was heavily bottlenecked by the CPU due to using single threaded APIs DX9/DX10. Because of that, the performance is quite limited. Even a Core i7 overclocked to 5ghz cannot maintain 60 FPS at all times in that game regardless of how much GPU power you have. Doing a remake on a more modern engine and API would increase performance dramatically and allow for even more graphical enhancements and level of detail.

15. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2080 Ti OC
    Crysis 1 still kills all PCs due to single-threaded issues. Maybe a 10Ghz i7 would be enough to maintain 60FPS :p

[​IMG]

16. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070
    burned out a memory stick playing this on a overclocked vista machine back then..

17. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Res? That looks like its CPU bottlenecked at 1080p.

1080ti @ 4k:
    [​IMG]

18. spajdrik

spajdrik Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB RX 5700 Gaming
  19. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2080 Ti OC
    1080P. Even a 5Ghz i7 8700K isn't enough to maintain 40+FPS in the VTOL mission. That's why Crytek was in a hurry back then to release the Cryengine 3, for the multithreading capabilities. Crysis 3 scales really well even with 8c/16t CPUs.

Undying likes this.
  20. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    i would love to see crysis 4, but in the meantime i can t help but say, how great and absolutely amazing the raytracing in Control, i feel like i have an obsolete gpu now after seeing how great the improvement is to that game while using ray tracing, i feel like i don t wanna play any game now without ray tracing tbh...

XenthorX likes this.